Samsung Galaxy S4 with stock Android is real: Nexus experience coming on June 26
The Galaxy S4 with stock Android will land on the Google Play store on June 26th for an off contract price of $649.
The S4 with stock Android will support 4G LTE and you’d be able to use it on the U.S. GSM carriers like AT&T and T-Mobile. It will have 16GB of internal storage, come with a fully unlocked bootloader and you won’t need to wait for system updates from carriers. Freedom, a lot of us wished for it, and now we have it!
42. PhoneAddiction (Posts: 79; Member since: 07 Nov 2012)
I hope the T-Mobile version is allowed to flash stock android through odin. That would be nice!
65. OptimusOne (Posts: 694; Member since: 22 May 2012)
No OCTO CORE!!!!!
that would be terrible for the dev community... exynos doesn't release its source, so custom kernels would be broken.....
thats why note II people can't use hardware composer on AOSP roms....
Thats one area where I think Quallcomm is better(OMAP 5 would be most ideal though)
70. icyrock1 (Posts: 307; Member since: 25 Mar 2013)
If it's a nexus though, wouldn't the source code get released?
79. Meccalangelo (Posts: 29; Member since: 05 Mar 2013)
It's a developer edition of a popular phone....Not a Nexus.
2. Alantef (Posts: 288; Member since: 14 Sep 2011)
lol i dont get the price tag...i can get it for 650 now off contract
9. abdane (Posts: 494; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
yes this is the same... but for people who hate touchwiz and want stock feel...
15. bigstrudel (Posts: 518; Member since: 20 Aug 2012)
Stock Android with guaranteed version updates is a big deal.
95. kanagadeepan (Posts: 926; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)
Yes, u can get 650$ carriers' s4 off contract... But you will never get official update earlier, but you will get those FREE bloatware + TouchWiz... Without TouckWiz, the internal memory of 16GB model will be MORE...
Its a win-win for Nexus lovers who are looking for Nexus with SD slot or without OnScreen keys (takes precious screen estate)....
3. HASHTAG (unregistered)
Was excited until I saw the price.
55. TheMan (Posts: 490; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
I feel the same, but how much would you pay? If it's less, then (in effect) you're saying it's worth less than the Touchwiz version (priced at $650), which may or may not get all the updates.
83. HASHTAG (unregistered)
I mean, if it was for a 32GB or more, I probably would, but considering that it's only for 16GB, I don't want to have to pay a fortune for it.
And with Samsung's extra software put into Android, you think that would explain the cost, but with just stock Android directly from Google, not Samsung, it would cost less.
I'm not saying it should be $299, like the Nexus 4 but at least $100 less.
56. boosook (Posts: 1437; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
same hardware, same phone… why should it be cheaper?
86. hung2900 (Posts: 956; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
Because they are blamers
Blaming blaming everything
And thumbs down attack coz some don't know anything to say
66. EXkurogane (Posts: 863; Member since: 07 Mar 2013)
That is the price range i pay for every flagship smartphone i buy, and i never complain. What's the big deal? Americans are spoiled by massive subsidies, that's why, A 16Gb iPhone 5 cost $749 - 799 here unlocked. The nexus 4 also cost $600 when it was available here.
72. icyrock1 (Posts: 307; Member since: 25 Mar 2013)
Where do you live? I know it doesn't cost that much in the US/Canada/Mexico/Most of the UK.
5. tech2 (Posts: 3462; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
OMFG ! That's a geek boner !!!!
Don’t know how is it gonna work though. I mean TouchWiz had hardware integration as well like Airview, multiple LED lights, etc. Would they all go useless or they'll be absent in the new device ?
33. phonegeek2 (Posts: 10; Member since: 22 Oct 2012)
Yeah, you're right, however for people who can afford the pricetag of the unllocked "Google-iffied"S4, they'll love it, regardless of whatever Samsung designed into Touchwiz UI. Personally, I used to like Touchwiz moreso, not anymore. I personally think it's too cartoony looking and takes a lot of memory, and battery to run. However to each, their own!
47. tech2 (Posts: 3462; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Also, if u heard the actual presentation. The guy said we are only giving you a 'glimpse' of hardware side of new innovations, then went on introducing the Nexus-ified GS4.
It means we might see other devices with Stock android as well !
96. kanagadeepan (Posts: 926; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)
They will be absent for good, since you will get MORE space in 16GB internal memory without TouchWiz...
Further you can get those things (few are not gimmicky) anyway if you want it, just visit xda...
100. tech2 (Posts: 3462; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Yeah......The only stuff which I'll actually miss will be S Health and those camera features. I'm fine with rest being gone, though !
I haven't tried rooting my phone yet and have no idea about it. Do you know if it would be easy to bring on those TouchWiz camera features from XDA ?
6. moroninc (Posts: 193; Member since: 14 Jul 2012)
thats right... you called it Phone Arena. Big up!
7. jcpwn2004 (Posts: 314; Member since: 18 Jan 2012)
Awesome! Wish somehow google could have offered it for a lower price but this phone is a beast.
8. Ninetysix (Posts: 2445; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Snapdragon 600 = fail
Exynos 5 = yes please!