Google files for patent to unlock your phone using a funny face
One way it could work would be where the device asks for a different gesture each time, it could be a wink, moving the eyebrows or “tongue protrusion” (why don’t they just call it “sticking out your tongue?”).
Facial recognition is not new, Google introduced it as a feature with the new version of Android when the Samsung Galaxy Nexus made its debut. In short order, it was found that a picture could defeat the recognition software though. Google’s fix to introduce a “liveness check” where the user was required to blink before it would read the face was also shown to be easily duped using only rudimentary skills.
The new patent is still pending, but the idea behind moving face gestures is that they are arguably more difficult to duplicate. We can see that position, but hopefully it would not be restricted to only minor facial expressions. The more whacky the face, the harder to duplicate, right?
source: The Huffington Post
1. ihatesmartphone (unregistered)
Take that Apple!!
16. polrt (banned) (Posts: 73; Member since: 04 Dec 2012)
Samsung fan unlock their phone by farting on the screen.
17. ihatesmartphone (unregistered)
never heard that -__-"
18. polrt (banned) (Posts: 73; Member since: 04 Dec 2012)
So how do you explain the bad smell coming out from the S4
19. polrt (banned) (Posts: 73; Member since: 04 Dec 2012)
That's why all Samsung fans have a funny face like this?
they're just trying to unlock their phone?
And what happens if someone has already been born with a funny face ?
30. ashue (Posts: 28; Member since: 26 Feb 2013)
well you have to switch over to apple... sorry to hear that about you....
20. SleepingOz (unregistered)
I always knew you were kinda retarded, but not to that extent..
22. polrt (banned) (Posts: 73; Member since: 04 Dec 2012)
Yeah, I get that a lot, but my dad that he is currently the CEO of Samsung says it is inherited!
26. Shatter (Posts: 2024; Member since: 29 May 2013)
If your dad was the ceo of samsung you wouldn't be on a tech site.
27. polrt (banned) (Posts: 73; Member since: 04 Dec 2012)
You got me, you're very smart, you're probably a Samsung fan !
33. polrt (banned) (Posts: 73; Member since: 04 Dec 2012)
When I see you on the street makes funny faces to your phone I will be super Jealous. lol ®
35. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Not sure if the CEO of Samsung knows that he is dad of polrt :)
28. asulect (Posts: 131; Member since: 27 Aug 2012)
Apple's already moving in a different direction. They are going to the basic and use your fingerprint on the home key to unlock.
37. tedkord (Posts: 4736; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Time for a lawsuit. You slide your tongue out, so this infringes the slide to unlock patent.
6. SonyXperiaNexus (Posts: 374; Member since: 01 Oct 2012)
lol, good idea in terms of security but very impractical; i would never be able to unlock my phone in public lol. silly ideas like these is why i love google, coz i think theyre doing it just for fun as well. why not use the camera for retina scan, that would be awesome!!!
11. Diazene (Posts: 123; Member since: 01 May 2013)
how would your phone camera capture your retina? I don't think it's even possilbe with such cameras
12. CellularNinja (Posts: 302; Member since: 27 Sep 2011)
You realize how accurate and advanced the phone's front facing camera would have to be in order to scan your retina? A lot more than they are today that's for sure.
15. SonyXperiaNexus (Posts: 374; Member since: 01 Oct 2012)
lol, i know that, but if we could it would be cool
7. _Bone_ (Posts: 2126; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
I unlocked my phone just by reading that title. :)
8. ihatesmartphone (unregistered)
even my picture can do that...xp
9. vincelongman (Posts: 1152; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
Pretty good idea, but it seems like one of those features which you just play around with at first and then forget about it after.
13. sudhiir.reddy (Posts: 30; Member since: 08 Jun 2013)
what to do if i am in a cremation ceremony and my phone asks me to smile...!
21. evarod48 (Posts: 137; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
what if you weren't doing a silly face and your phone unlocked just because you were weird looking?
23. FlushGordon (unregistered)
it's as useless as Apple's 95 percent of granted patents
25. jsdechavez (Posts: 702; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
For Gwiyomi fans perhaps but no thanks.
29. syedzain (Posts: 174; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
WOW really a great innovation..... unlock ur phone with weird faces.
31. Whateverman (Posts: 3198; Member since: 17 May 2009)
Some of you are confusing the picture in this article for what the feature really does. All it's requiring is that you face have motion before it unlocks. So now a simple picture would not bypass your security settings.