AT&T BlackBerry Bold still in testing, according to RIM

Posted: , by PhoneArena Team

AT&T BlackBerry Bold still in testing, according to RIM
In the intense news surrounding the launch of the BlackBerry Bold on AT&T, RIM wants everyone to be absolutely sure that they're not the culprit. RIM co-CEO Mike Lazaridis said Thursday that the phone is still in the test phase with AT&T, and hinted that they wanted to spend additional time to test it, primarily to ensure that it doesn't face the same problems that the iPhone 3G did. Though the phone is available in certain markets, it is not yet available in the United States.

Lazaridis, in a statement to The Associated Press, explained AT&T's testing process. "There's great scrutiny, as you might know, on that network and a certain device. So I guess everyone wants to be sure on every last test."  In an additional statement, he said that he wasn't concerned about any launch difficulties.  "We're very meticulous about what our product does," he said.

AT&T, as usual, didn't say much.  Company spokesman Mark Siegel would not confirm that the Bold was still in testing, but would only confirm that it would come out this year.

Source: Yahoo Finance via BGR

att is a great company with a great line of products, but there 3g network just isnt that reliable or efficient.

posted on 04 Oct 2008, 09:56

Hmm...Well, that's annoying.

posted on 04 Oct 2008, 11:34

3. JDubReno005 (unregistered)

ATT a great company..... eh maybe..... The 3G is sporadic at best!!... Yet another reason to go to VZW!!! (Oh and the Blackberry Storm we all know kills the bold)

posted on 04 Oct 2008, 13:13

4. hekidnappedher (unregistered)

The Storm kills the bold?? It has a click-touchscreen, and it's the first of its kind. Let's wait until the products release before we decide which one's better. Maybe you mean, it looks and sounds like its going to kill the Bold. The more of a believeable statement even though its an opinion.

posted on 04 Oct 2008, 14:55

I couldn't agree with you more, but as long as this site is filled with VZW fanboys and salespeople, this kind of thing will continue. 99% of these guys haven't even had a Storm in their hands yet and it's already the best Blackberry ever. It kills the Bold and the iphone hands down. The crazy thing is it is quite possible that the Storm WILL be that good, but to claim it is at this point destroys your credibility among anyone with half a brain.

posted on 04 Oct 2008, 15:52

11. JdubReno005 (unregistered)

First off..... Shut up cause your wrong. Second I have the storm right now in my hand. It is amazing. I never refered to the iphone you twit. I can't stand people who use this forum just to trash on VZW. Ask JD power assoc. about VZW compared to att. Enough said Truley though the storm is sweet, and you will agree once you have had one in hand.

posted on 04 Oct 2008, 15:57

13. JDubReno005 (unregistered)

Oh and by the way RIM was not planning on making a 3G blackberry for att due to there 3G issues (See iphone problems) But as we all know money talks. So we wonder why the bold has been delayed some many times... (not on rogers or other international carriers of course) ITS ATT! not that hard to grasp.

posted on 04 Oct 2008, 21:37

you're a VZW fanboy get over it

posted on 06 Oct 2008, 07:20

31. Hlorri (Posts: 37; Member since: 07 May 2008)

There is a GSM/UMTS version of the Storm (9500) coming also. Given the UMTS (3G) bands (850/1900/2100), it seems to be destined for AT&T (plus international). About Verizon vs. AT&T - I used to have Verizon back in the "dark old days" when I was simply an ignorant consumer. For one thing, the more you know about cellular phones and service, the more likely you are to use a GSM provider (AT&T or T-Mobile); but even before I fully appreciated these differences, I was fed up with various aspects of VZWs operations. For one thing, compare unlimited internet access: With AT&T (using my unlocked Nokia N95) is $15/month; with Verizon it is more like $50. Plus, it is not really the same "internet", since with Verizon you can only use crippled devices that don't allow you to run things like, say, 3rd party applications such as Nokia Internet Radio, Nokia Maps, etc... Any GSM (+UMTS) network will give you much more freedom than what you have with either Verizon, Alltel, Sprint, etc..

posted on 07 Oct 2008, 14:45

34. att rep (unregistered)

well im friends w a rim rep taht works in my area and ive played w the storm and the bold...lemme tell u the STORM BLOWSSSSSSSSSSSS its the worst attempt at a touchscreen device ive ever seen...the touch on the voyager is better and that one was terrible so before u go posting rediculous stuff to make ur self feel better get ur info str moron

posted on 04 Oct 2008, 13:16

maybe at&t is trying to lockdown things and try to make more money like verizon with their software. iono.

posted on 04 Oct 2008, 14:27

6. woot (unregistered)

Maybe AT&T is trying to hold off on releasing the BOLD until VZW releases the STORM...to steal some of its thunder (wow, pun not intended). Both devices are so different, I don't think it would be fair to compare them as equals - do we compare the Curve to the iPhone? I think the Bold will appeal to the traditional, business-minded Blackberry users and the Storm will appeal more to the consumer users (ie existing Pearl and iPhone?). Just my 2 cents...either way, both will be flippin great!

posted on 07 Oct 2008, 14:48

35. att rep (unregistered)

the reason that the bold isnt relesased yet is because RIM is perfectionists...they downt wanna release a product that sucks hense the iphone...look what happened when apple didnt push their release back and just threw it out without really testing it the thing blowssss now that the new software is out its better and as soon as the bold is relaeased it will be sickkk

posted on 04 Oct 2008, 14:33

7. OJ will DIE IN PRISON (unregistered)

ATT failed to deliver on their promises to improve their 3g coverage area before the launch and now they are scrambling to get their act together before VZW releases the first true I Phone competition with the BB Storm. VZW has the upper hand in the 3g coverage obviously and ATT made no improvements on their end to justify making this device exclusive for so many months on their network since consumers will soon find out how a TRUE 3G network works on a BB. Trust me, this is far from over. ATT is about to lose their exclsuivity on their precious I Phone as well, VZW is indeed working with Apple to produce a CDMA I Phone , scheduled to release in 2nd quarter 2009.

posted on 04 Oct 2008, 15:01

Could very well be a CDMA iphone if VZW doesn't mind allowing their customers to use itunes instead of their music services. It WOULD be fun to watch all the VZW fan boys who have been trashing the iphone since it came out suddenly reverse their point of view.

posted on 04 Oct 2008, 15:30

Don't forget that VZW will also have to lock out the wi-fi and GPS... it wouldn't be a VZW phone unless half of it's functions are crippled to force you use all of their pay services!

posted on 04 Oct 2008, 15:54

12. JDubReno005 (unregistered)

Here we go again... Vzw peeps don't trash the apple, we trash att. I love apple. I just loathe att.

posted on 04 Oct 2008, 16:49

You really are as ignorant as you seem. Its you idiotic fanboys who make me want to switch to Att from Vzw just to piss you off.

posted on 04 Oct 2008, 17:18

18. VDubCarsonCity007.5 (unregistered)

I agree he is quite annoying.

posted on 04 Oct 2008, 20:40

then switch see you back on the network in 30 days i did it 3 weeks later sold my iphone cause it sucked not the phone i loved the phone but not the network although i did like that my minutes would roll over but whats the sense when you cant get service to use them

posted on 05 Oct 2008, 01:01

25. yoyoyo (unregistered)

i guess you don't read much, considering Verizon did NOT and i repeat did NOT cripple the GPS on the storm, it is fully unlocked GPS, that even includes a-GPS, so please understand what your talking about before you start the trash talk!

posted on 05 Oct 2008, 11:03

26. vzw fanboy (unregistered)

haha lol, im not even posting yet and there is this much fighting lol.

posted on 04 Oct 2008, 17:00

15. cartman (unregistered)

Why do VZW folks trash AT&T, AT&T folks trash VZW? Bottomline, they're the same company, in a sense, providing the same service. AT&T only has 3G coverage in cities, VZW provides 3G coverage only in cities (you want proof, go to VZW.com coverage map, and click VCast mobile TV or Prepay, and it will tell you true VZW coverage that the company owns, not roaming). Pisses me off when people diss this company or that company. Every cell phone company has some holes in their coverage, cuz it would bankrupt them if they had to provide perfect 3G coverage in every square inch of the country [Cost-benefit analysis anybody?]. AT&T is better in one place, while VZW is better in another. So, for a guy from Oklahoma [City], better to go with AT&T, cuz Verizon "does not provide service in that area" (that's from their website), which seems to contradict what they claim from their coverage map, blanketing the whole state. [And don't diss OK either, all you fellas rush to that state when there's oil, and walk way and diss when you use it all up].

posted on 04 Oct 2008, 17:40

19. JDubReno005 (unregistered)

Haha this is too funny. I really don't care at all. I just really enjoy shaking things up just to see your reactions. :) mission accomplished

posted on 04 Oct 2008, 19:04

20. cartman (unregistered)

happy to help.

posted on 04 Oct 2008, 17:11

16. Ceez (unregistered)

Who cares? the Bold will be grat and the Storm as well. I feel the Storm will be better and we all know it will be better then the iphone. For does who dont know Apple first went to Verizon with the Iphone and sence they wanted to much control over everything Verizon said no and used ATT as a SECOND choise. It really does not matter because the storm will be better and because in 2009 the iphone is coming to Verizon anyway. and in closing Verizon is the best but they are expensive and they do criple most phones but they still work better then any ATT, Tmobile or definitely Sprint!

posted on 04 Oct 2008, 17:15

17. Ceez (unregistered)

Also Verizon just purchased ALLTEL that makes the coverage EVEN BETTER then it is and specially even in rural areas of the U.S.A

posted on 04 Oct 2008, 20:45

i get like 2 bars on my vzw phone in my house my wifess att phone is searching for service and my friends alltell phone gets full service i cant wait till they takeover and i get full service in my house but wait i still get 3g service here in southern alabama my wifes att phone dosent even know what 3g is lol

posted on 04 Oct 2008, 23:32

24. harper (unregistered)

doenst make sense that they are still testing this phone. i know a couple of people who have the bold already because they work for a company who tests these kinds of products and they said everything seems to be fine. dont know what the delay is

posted on 05 Oct 2008, 11:05

27. vzw fanboy (unregistered)

maybe because they want to see what the storm has to offer so they can copy it! if i had gayt&t i would take the bold over the iphone anyday

posted on 05 Oct 2008, 12:08

rogers has had the bold out for almost 2 months... hmmmm....

posted on 05 Oct 2008, 16:37

is the rogers bold 3g cause that might be y its taking so long

posted on 05 Oct 2008, 16:38

after the problems with the iphone 3g att should take there time to release it cause they dont need a repeat of what happened with iphone

posted on 07 Oct 2008, 09:27

32. Cincy boy (unregistered)

I have had both services (At&T and VZW). Personally I think AT&T blows every company away on phone selection, hands down. Becasue of this I swotched to AT&T after being on VZW for almost 6 years. VZW is in LAST place when it comes to cool and attractive phones. However, after having AT&T for almost 1 year, I HAD to switch back!!! The service is piss poor. I travel a lot and had HORRIBLE reception in almost every city and state I travelled to, especially New York City. I am unsatisfied with phone selection but would rather be with a provider that gives me better reception. The other negative with VZW is the price but for the service I am willing to pay it. On a final note, why is everyone here so concerned about WiFi on a phone...especially if it is a Blackberry. You HAVE to buy a Blackberry plan with a Blackberry so WiFI would never be used anyway. This could possible be the dumbest argument on these boards. Would I rather have a phone where I have to drive somewhere with WiFI while I am out or just connect anywhere I am, especially when I am on the road. AT&T internet service did suck and was rather slow but VZW's blackberry service is 10x better than WiFI. This is from over 7 years experience betwen both carriers, not speculation. Moral of this long post....QUIT ARGUING LIKE LITTLE SCHOOL GIRL CHILDREN ABOUT SERVICES. Everyone has a preference. If you are young and naive, you will pick AT&T for the cooler phones. If you are older and care more about reception and not dropping calls, you will pick VZW.

posted on 07 Oct 2008, 12:17

33. Ceez (unregistered)

OK guy, you want wifi because you need choices and variety. There also are customers that life in areas that can not get 3g and they would like at least wifi because it is fast (faster the 3g). yes you have to be somewhere that offers wifi but at least you have the choice and i rather get more for my money then less, plus every new place now a days offers free wifi. Second, yes verizon does not have the best phone selection but over the past year they have gotten allot better. Go to http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/Verizon-carrier-c_17.html http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/Verizon-carrier-c_17_3.html have the Touch, Dare, Glyde, Chocolate 3, Decov, Palm Centro, Blitz, Voyager, envy2 ect.. they are all cool phones plus they are also coming with HTC Diamond and Diamond Pro, Trio 800w, Krave, Iphone (in 2009), and the best one yet Blackberry Storm!

posted on 09 Oct 2008, 11:05

36. Espi65 (unregistered)

It's incredible how much bickering is going on about absalutly nothing. You people act like VZW or AT&T are putting money in your pockets. The only reason I'm with AT&T is because they are the only wireless company that is Unoin. Which means that they offer thier employees better benefits and better wages. Companies like Verizon only care about making more money and not spreading the wealth. I'm a Union electrician and work and live in Jersey. As Union employee I will do my very best to support the companies that support thier employees regardless of thier service and to be honest with you AT&T is not that bad. I was with T-Mobile and my family with VZW. Now we are all with AT&T. No problems with service and I work right accross the river from Manhatten. I will sit here patiently waiting for the BOLD because I beleive that it's going to be all that and then some.

posted on 09 Oct 2008, 23:21

AT&T hasn't released it because of Quality issues. Orange discontinued it because of Quality issues.http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/10/09/orange-drops-the-blackberry-bold-due-to-quality-issues/