Here are 5 of the more interesting apps that have been smitten by El Goog's secret ban hammer!
5 smartphone apps banned by... Google
Here are 5 of the more interesting apps that have been smitten by El Goog's secret ban hammer!
3. tech2 (Posts: 3351; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Google thought instead of building an entire app mothers could just ask the question, 'Does he like use iPhone ?' ;)
2. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Is my son gay?
Me : Hmm.....maybe....
WHOA wait a minute, I'm only 14!
Wake up! WAKE UP!
35. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
I don't have a son yet but, from what all the science suggests, homosexualiTy is genetic. One sure way of knowing at an early age is, just throw both an iPhone and an Android smartphone into the crib a week or two after birth; if the baby boy graviTates toward the iPhone then just buy him the latest Jennifer Lopez collection at Kmart. (And, don't forget the Manolo Blahniks)
42. gmracer1 (Posts: 646; Member since: 28 Dec 2012)
LMMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That, sir, is funny, true, and epic! xD
45. Diazene (Posts: 129; Member since: 01 May 2013)
don't know if you were serious about the first part, but it isn't genetic
source : Darwin
4. tiara6918 (Posts: 2021; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
Adblock plus?! Wow,what a surprise!I just downloaded that weeks ago but now when I read the article, I went to the play store and now it's gone
20. cmikeh2 (Posts: 26; Member since: 09 May 2012)
There was significant evidence that AdBlock Plus' mechanism for blocking ads would interfere with other apps on the device in a way that would inhibit the performance of those apps. Oftentimes then those apps would receive low reviews despite there not actually being an inherent flaw with the app being reviewed but with AdBlock Plus. Since the app was adversely affecting other play store apps it was determined that it should be removed. At least that's the story I've heard.
34. tiara6918 (Posts: 2021; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
I agree with you, sometimes I taught there was something wrong with my browser(not loading the site) and some apps but when I paused adblock it came out working properly
40. illiad (Posts: 128; Member since: 07 Feb 2012)
I tried it, and it was quite hopeless, not worth it at all.. there was a similar one, meant to block ads fro apps, but that was dubious too..
If you use desktop opera to block internet ads, you can use the same 'urlfilter' with android Opera... :)
5. nicholassss (Posts: 368; Member since: 10 May 2012)
Good thing our homies over at XDA have our backs.
6. ibap (Posts: 752; Member since: 09 Sep 2009)
Siri was most likely removed because they just didn't want the headache of a stupid dispute with Apple. I'm not interested, but I'm guessing the exact same app will show up with a different name.
7. recond9 (Posts: 50; Member since: 11 Jan 2013)
Big deal.Many of them will still available on sites that crack apps.
8. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 11367; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
And they said android was open and allowed freedom.
9. deacz (Posts: 162; Member since: 02 Nov 2011)
we are still totally free to install them? its just that google wont supply the server and bandwith space.
22. gallitoking (Posts: 4718; Member since: 17 May 2011)
so you need to get them outside of Google.. then yes Google is no that open..
32. NickPeters (Posts: 74; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
U could actually use THE Google Search to find the download apk files so how's that to yours: '' Google is not open...'' ?
36. jroc74 (Posts: 5987; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
I take it you and your buddy didnt bother reading some of the descriptions of the apps.....figures.
One was because of pressure from advocacy groups. Is my son gay? What if I have a daughter? Discrimination....lol. Or is the developer implying its ok for females to be gay....hmmmm....
Siri for Android? Are yall 2 gonna seriously squawk about that one? I guess you want Apple to have more ammo to go after Android, Google huh.
Online gambling is a touchy issue.
Only one I might have a problem with is ad block.
PSx Emulators....well technically....you know the deal with that. That coulda been more for Sony's benefit to remove it.
11. kellkeezy (Posts: 57; Member since: 17 Dec 2011)
if that comment is for the psx4droid app, well lets see here, android runs on multiple devices. One of those being Sony Xeperia, which sony also has some form of gaming rights for FF7, 8, 9 and 10. So just like Nintendo .they dont want their precious games that everyone loves, falling into the hands of millions for free on handheld devices.
28. Zero0 (Posts: 592; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Sony and Nintendo can't do anything about emulators. Emulators themselves are legal. Redistributing ROMs and BIOS is piracy, and that's where Sony and Nintendo could go after emulator users (and Google, if PSX4Droid has the BIOS).
17. shuaibhere (Posts: 1983; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
We are not only restricted to play store unlike you with apps store...
You can easily sideload any apps in android..android is open and will remain open always..
23. gallitoking (Posts: 4718; Member since: 17 May 2011)
and then you wonder why there are viruses on Android right?
44. tha.fox (Posts: 100; Member since: 30 Nov 2011)
Ive never gotten a virus on the 5 droids Ive owned. That argument is really getting old
27. Zero0 (Posts: 592; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Right. Because Google removed these from all of the Internets around the world.
At least a couple of these have legal implications. PSX4Droid was likely pulled because it probably bundled the PlayStation BIOS (that's piracy). Other emulators are on the store, but require BIOS to be supplied by the user (or are for systems without a BIOS). Siri sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen.
The Is My Son Gay app probably shouldn't exist, and the fact that Google removed it isn't so much a reflection on Google's speech infringement, but a reflection on the bigotry of society.
As for the other two, they're questionable, but feel free to download and install. Just one little checkbox makes it all possible.
In any event, Android IS open. Android IS free. Google Play isn't, but guess what? Google Play doesn't have to be the alpha and omega of Android.
37. jroc74 (Posts: 5987; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
I shoulda read your post before making mine. I said almost the same things....lol.
13. Deadeye37 (Posts: 162; Member since: 25 Jan 2011)
So....Where can I get PSX4Droid? That was the best PSX emulator! I had gotten it off the creator's webpage. One day, the app died and was never resurrected. And I was getting close to beating FFVII (I have yet to beat that dang game)!
18. valapsp (Posts: 555; Member since: 12 Aug 2011)
Guys you can download the Adblock Plus app right from its website, here's the link:http://adblockplus.org/en/andr
19. DontHateOnS60 (Posts: 866; Member since: 20 Apr 2009)
Where's the advocacy group that stands up for freedom and says if you don't like the purpose of an app, don't download the damn thing and move on...
These companies are being run by a bunch of pansies, similar to our other leaders in this country who will bend over backwards for a gay rights group because something upset them rather then telling them get over it. You don't like it? Tough. That's life, deal with it and move on.
That Siri one is interesting. I'd love to hear Google's excuse for that one.
21. moolotovzz (Posts: 24; Member since: 12 Mar 2013)
I wonder how much must it take to turn your back on google.. I mean those guys made our lives easier with many products and now they can start pushing their rooles: what is good for you and what is bad, what should be prohibited and what not, which commercials shall you see and which not.. and if you dont like it than fine - dont use gmaps, gmail, android stuff, youtube? and other stuff which is daily life products for many people... another brick in the wall... (Pink floyd)
25. boosook (Posts: 1424; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Yes, unfortunately Andy Rubin has been removed and the company seems to have changed a little bit lately. They're becoming more close, less innovative, more conservative and more arrogant.
24. gallitoking (Posts: 4718; Member since: 17 May 2011)
I am here in the Android camp the land of the free.... wait.. the land of the not so free,,, now back to Apple TV
26. robocopvn (Posts: 402; Member since: 10 Mar 2010)
Could it be Mr Page is gay ? and he's affraid of his mom using this app :D :D
29. yayaya (Posts: 1; Member since: 16 Apr 2013)
I had a gay dog called siri but was run over by the Google street view van. Saddest day ever...
33. roscuthiii (Posts: 2189; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
PhoneArena... Is Ray S. the son of the owner or something? How in the friggin' world do you let him go on writing such short-sighted, biased drivel?
Oh wait... page clicks, right? Way to pander PA, way to pander.
41. jromy (Posts: 114; Member since: 26 Feb 2013)
I think you should have left it at "how am I biased?"
43. Omar-BHR95 (Posts: 184; Member since: 23 Dec 2012)
LOL YOU KNOW WHY I'M LAUGHING
@ THE LAST APP
46. Tux_Alan (Posts: 74; Member since: 30 Jan 2013)
Who the hell wants siri on android? All hail S-voice ;-)
47. Tux_Alan (Posts: 74; Member since: 30 Jan 2013)
And BTW I have a son and couldn't care less if he was gay save for the facf that I'd be scared life would be somewhat harder for him, still, if people want to be prejudgmental, this is a free world, let them and their families be unhappy... Wish there were less people who thought they were entitled to decide what others are allowed to think....