Fortnite developer calls Google irresponsible

Fortnite developer calls Google irresponsible
Fortnite's journey to Android has been an interesting one. After becoming a huge sensation on consoles and PC, the battle royale game landed on iOS earlier and 2018, and just this month made its way to Android. But the delay was not the surprising part, nor was the timed exclusivity for Samsung phones. The most surprising thing was that, in order to install Fortnite, you had to download it from Epic Games instead of the Google Play Store.

Last week, Google publically released information about a vulnerability in Epic's Fortnite installer that could be used by hackers to load malware onto users' phones. Google even provided Epic with a video evidence that showed Fortnite installed on a Samsung handset using the official installer, and when the game was opened, a malicious app would launch instead.

Epic Games' chief executive said that Google should have postponed sharing the news publically:

"We asked Google to hold the disclosure until the update was more widely installed,"
tweeted Tim Sweeney. "They refused, creating an unnecessary risk for Android users in order to score cheap PR points."


Google's policy is to publically disclose details of bugs and vulnerabilities 90 days after reporting them to the developers responsible if they have not been tackled, but only waits seven days after a patch is made "broadly available" to spill the beans. According to a transcript, Google's security team shared details about the security flaw with Epic on August 15. The developer got in touch two days later, saying it's "working around the clock" to fix the issue and requesting a full 90 days before Google discloses anything with the public. However, the search engine giant denied the request.

Tim Sweeny says his company is grateful that it was made aware of the issue in a timely manner, but criticizes Google for being so quick to spill the beans to everyone, "citing unnecessary risk for Android users."

Epic Games urges everyone playing Fortnite to enable two-factor verification on their Fortnite accounts. 

source: BBC

FEATURED VIDEO

18 Comments

1. robocopvn

Posts: 504; Member since: Mar 10, 2010

Haha poor you Epic Games!

18. Atechguy0

Posts: 918; Member since: Aug 03, 2018

Epic is the one that made this mess in the first place. Not Google. It's Epic that made their game and installer app. It's Epic that wants users to side load their game and have users allow untrusted sources. At the end of the day Epic could have easily placed their app on Google's play store for free, just like they do for iOS. Also for Android Epic from day one could have always skipped paying Google altogether by using their one their own servers. Google doesn't force app monetization to go through them.

2. midan

Posts: 3121; Member since: Oct 09, 2017

This was very good move from Google, this direction what Fortnite is going is very bad for the industry and users, onlyone who would benefit are fortnite developers. In big picture this would make finding and installing android apps and games huge mess for users and it's also big security risk

3. RebelwithoutaClue unregistered

"They refused, creating an unnecessary risk for Android users in order to score cheap PR points" That is rich coming from Epic Games, they created an unnecessary risk for Android users by forcing them to enable sideloading. And while Google could have waited to disclose this information, there is nothing wrong in educating the users sideloading apps (even from a well-known source) can be tricky business. Besides what do they expect, they expect Google to play ball after they bypass Google?

16. Valdomero

Posts: 704; Member since: Nov 13, 2012

I'm agree with you until you last sentence, EPIC is not obliged to upload ANYTHING to Google's Playstore if they don't want to. The same way as Google can o not "spill the beans" of the security flaw EPIC is doing to every Android user who wants to sideload the software to their phones.

4. ijuanp03

Posts: 660; Member since: Dec 30, 2014

Why would Google agree to Epic's terms and in the first place, it isn't even earning from Fortnite? And they seriously want full 90 days of security risk without telling the players. Epic fail.

8. worldpeace

Posts: 3135; Member since: Apr 15, 2016

Right, Google is kind enough to test Fortnite security and report it in detail. Imagine if they just keep silent to public for 90days, Epic won't bother to urges players to use 2-factors verifications, and someone might find the vulnerability and exploit it.

5. MarvzIsFallen

Posts: 646; Member since: Aug 11, 2017

I’m glad I’m lock in iOS.

6. ijuanp03

Posts: 660; Member since: Dec 30, 2014

Boring.

12. MarvzIsFallen

Posts: 646; Member since: Aug 11, 2017

Goodluck with your junk products then. I don’t need too much customization on my phone.

10. RebelwithoutaClue unregistered

Not just you buddy, I am glad too you're locked in iOS

11. cmdacos

Posts: 4325; Member since: Nov 01, 2016

He wouldn't survive otherwise lol

7. theunspoken

Posts: 310; Member since: Jul 06, 2017

I received a pre install invite and have installed the game and it has updated over 10 times, each update being more than 1gb and still I haven't received the play invite yet.

9. cocoy

Posts: 464; Member since: Oct 30, 2015

Google have a number of reasons why they did it. 1.) Fortnite can't be downloaded from play store which poses risks to the users. 2.) They weren't earning from Fortnite. 3.) Pixel Phones are about to release next month (a direct competition for Samsung Note 9) 4.) To protect Android users who have installed and are planning to install the game but are not yet aware of the vulnerability. Reason #4 is more than enough to drive them to release the statement because if Android users were compromised, their OS will take also the blame not just Epic.

13. strategic_developer

Posts: 1627; Member since: Jul 17, 2018

Because Google is pissed at you, for not offering the game through the Play Store, and how much money they aren't gonna make, so they are gonna scare users into not installing it. I removed it from my phone for now. I didn't really like the game. World of Warcraft and similar games are better anyways. Plus on mobile I die to quickly.

14. KonaStang4.6

Posts: 285; Member since: Nov 04, 2011

That sucks. *continues playing on iOS, Xbox One and Switch*

15. mr.joosue

Posts: 65; Member since: Nov 06, 2017

Has anyone played the Android version yet? I'm curious to see how good the game looks compared to iOS.

17. Valdomero

Posts: 704; Member since: Nov 13, 2012

EPIC, bring back Paragon you bastards!!!

Latest Stories

This copy is for your personal, non-commercial use only. You can order presentation-ready copies for distribution to your colleagues, clients or customers at https://www.parsintl.com/phonearena or use the Reprints & Permissions tool that appears at the bottom of each web page. Visit https://www.parsintl.com/ for samples and additional information.