Notification Center

This is our new notification center. Inside, you will find updates on the most important things happening right now.


Hmm, push notifications seem to be disabled in your browser. You can enable them from the 'Settings' icon in the URL bar of your browser.

Samsung Galaxy S7 pre-orders apparently not so hot in South Korea


According to a report by Business Korea, the new Samsung Galaxy S7 isn't off to a smooth sail in its South Korean homeland, despite the heavyweight Samsung marketing and stellar journalistic response behind it. Apparently, the S7 is showing lower pre-order sales than its predecessors, but the reasons behind that don't have to do much with the smartphone itself. Rather, it's other factors being put into play. Starting March 4, Samsung started taking preorders from three of the nation's carriers, throwing in a Gear VR headset for free as a bonus item. However, consumer response has not overwhelmed that of the Galaxy S6 last year.

Market watchers believe this is because consumers no longer prefer the traditional preorder system and hesitate with purchasing the latest smartphones. New subscribers think it's better to wait and see until they know the subsidies by mobile carriers and calling plans better. Some have also opted for the Samsung Galaxy S7 edge, which might end up as the stronger seller with its larger display and futuristic look. Another factor is that the free Gear VR is not all that attractive as a pre-order bonus. Consumers are also interested in the competing LG G5, which will be launched by the end of March. Additionally, demand for cheaper, low-end handsets such as the Samsung Galaxy J7 remains strong in the country.

Interestingly, the Korean report contradicts with an earlier claim by Russian blogger Eldar Murtazin who says that the Galaxy S7 has busted the Galaxy line-up's pre-order records in all 60 launch markets. Consumer preference in certain markets is oriented towards the Galaxy S7 edge – in Russia, 64% of pre-orders have been for the Galaxy S7 edge, and the remaining 36% for the Galaxy S7. So, as it always goes, the truth is somewhere in-between.

Samsung has declared March 11 as the Galaxy S7 & S7 edge's global launch date, although users in some countries have already started receiving their handsets. It's not too long, now! If you're still waiting for yours, or are on the fence about getting an S7 or S7 edge, check out our reviews of the handsets. We hope they help with your decision!

source: Business Korea

New reasons to get excited every week

Get the most important news, reviews and deals in mobile tech delivered straight to your inbox

Related phones

Samsung Galaxy S7 specs
  • Display 5.1 inches 2560 x 1440 pixels 60Hz Refresh rate
  • Camera 12 MP (Single camera) 5 MP front
  • Hardware Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 4GB RAM
  • Storage 32GB, microSDXC
  • Battery 3000 mAh
  • OS Android 8.0 Oreo Samsung TouchWiz UI
Samsung Galaxy S7 edge specs
  • Display 5.5 inches 2560 x 1440 pixels
  • Camera 12 MP (Single camera) 5 MP front
  • Hardware Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 4GB RAM
  • Storage 32GB, microSDXC
  • Battery 3600 mAh
  • OS Android 8.0 Oreo Samsung TouchWiz UI

Latest News

FCC OKs Cingular\'s purchase of AT&T Wireless