Candy Crush Saga brought in more than $1 billion in revenue last year

Candy Crush Saga brought in more than $1 billion in revenue last year
Candy Crush Saga is a free download from the major app stores. That is free as in no cost to the buyer. Yet, the mobile game brought in the amazing sum of $1.33 billion last year for its developer, King. All of that comes from in-app purchases. While that number seems high, consider that these in-app purchases have actually been declining. For the last 6 months of 2013 alone, the game had revenue of $1.04 billion. The game took in peak revenues of $551 million in the third quarter of 2013.

Since peaking, the game has continuously brought in less money each quarter. The fourth quarter of 2013 saw it take in $493 million. For the four quarters last year, revenues amounted to $429.5 million, $360.5 million, $277.4 million and $263.8 million respectively. If you want to know what happens when a popular mobile game goes south, ask Zynga who overpaid for Draw Something creator OMGPOP to the tune of $180 million back in 2012. When that game started to lose players, the company ran into major financial problems.

While Candy Crush Saga might be the poster boy for the freemium pricing model, it is on a downward slope and those lost revenues will need to be replaced somehow. The problem is that 97.7% of those playing a King game are playing for free. It is the remaining 2.3% that supports the whole operation. On the other hand, this could be quite an opportunity for King if they could get more of those 97.7% to loosen their wallets.

source: TheGuardian

FEATURED VIDEO

7 Comments

1. Phonecall01 unregistered

I was gonna clean my room... But then I got candy crush . I was gonna get up and grab the broom... But then I got candy crush . my room is still messed up... And I know why...

2. UglyFrank

Posts: 2194; Member since: Jan 23, 2014

Because I played crush, because I played crush, because I played cruuuuhuuussshhh ladadadadada

3. livyatan

Posts: 867; Member since: Jun 19, 2013

Clash of clans made..wait for it.. 2 billion

4. trentsinmypants

Posts: 324; Member since: Jan 29, 2009

I'm a sucker for CoC.....and SimCity :(

5. vincelongman

Posts: 5693; Member since: Feb 10, 2013

For comparison Bandai Namco made 4.7 billion Activision Blizzard made 4.6 billion EA made ~3.7 billion Take Two made 2.4 billion Ubis**t made 1 billion

6. joey_sfb

Posts: 6794; Member since: Mar 29, 2012

Casual gamer market is firmly in the hands of mobile phone gaming.

7. Neo_Huang

Posts: 1067; Member since: Dec 06, 2013

My mom is addicted to Candy Crush and its siblings, but she refuses to spend even a penny on any game like that.

Latest Stories

This copy is for your personal, non-commercial use only. You can order presentation-ready copies for distribution to your colleagues, clients or customers at https://www.parsintl.com/phonearena or use the Reprints & Permissions tool that appears at the bottom of each web page. Visit https://www.parsintl.com/ for samples and additional information.