Sprint adds Wi-Fi calling to Samsung Galaxy Note 3 with update
If the update hasn't hit your Sprint branded Samsung Galaxy Note 3, there is no need to pout, kick the neighbor's cat, or even kick the neighbor. The update containing Wi-Fi calling is being sent out on a staggered basis, which means that it won't be sent to everyone at once. The carrier says it could take several days for the update to reach your phone.
Sprint has said that it will be adding the Wi-Fi calling feature to additional Android models as the year progresses.
source: Sprint via AndroidCentral
1. QWIKSTRIKE (Posts: 955; Member since: 09 Mar 2010)
I can WiFi call with my Nexus 5, as well as my GS3 since 2010. You don't really need an update to do this. In fact they should be giving me a credit if I am using my wifi to make calls when I am paying them for servce!
2. joe1blue (Posts: 160; Member since: 25 Jul 2013)
How are you able to do this without the update?
4. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9879; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I'm pretty sure there's an app for that if you're rooted I believe.
6. QWIKSTRIKE (Posts: 955; Member since: 09 Mar 2010)
I am not rooted I have been using Google Voice, Oovoo, and you can use Viber, and a few others as well.
3. jackskellington6 (Posts: 10; Member since: 14 Mar 2014)
I didn't know the Galaxy SIII came out in 2010.
7. QWIKSTRIKE (Posts: 955; Member since: 09 Mar 2010)
I have been using the WiFi calling since 2010 and phones like the Photon GS3, Nexus 5 any android phone with WiFi can make calls.
Using Google Voice I have called Australia for .02 a minute on WiFi and the caller never knew that I was WiFi calling.
14. QWIKSTRIKE (Posts: 955; Member since: 09 Mar 2010)
I am not a liar idiot I said that I was making wifi call since 2010 and using phones like the GS3, and Nexus 5. The Nexus 5 was not made in 2010 but you didn't call me a liar for that did you.
You knew the Nexus 5 was just made too didn't you genius!
9. AustinPaul (Posts: 61; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
I've had fun with using Talkatone on my Nexus 7. The expressions on peoples faces when I'm holding that tablet to my ear like it's a phone is awesome!
10. DAMONORIBELLO (Posts: 104; Member since: 18 Mar 2012)
Ooh, this is that new Samsung Galavsky phone!
11. mike2959 (Posts: 446; Member since: 08 Oct 2011)
I'm not aware of any app that allows you to make a outgoing phone call using your existing number. Please before anyone responds and says there is, again a WIFI outgoing call that shows your existing number.
12. skymitch89 (Posts: 1214; Member since: 05 Nov 2010)
If you have Google Voice on your phone, you can usually choose which number to call with. At least whenever I would have Google Voice on my phone and went to make a call it would (on Sprint).
13. skymitch89 (Posts: 1214; Member since: 05 Nov 2010)
Downloading it now. I'm sure that I'll find some spots that I can use it where I'm out of service range, but have WiFi. I guess it could be said that this is one way to offload traffic from your network without losing customers.