Read all about it: Apple iPad HD to have more RAM, separate LTE versions; will launch March 16th
The Verge, we could see three different versions of the tablet introduced tomorrow. Verizon and AT&T will each get their own LTE model, the first mobile devices from the manufacturer to offer LTE support, and there will be a 3G variant with both a CDMA and HSPA radio similar to what is in the Apple iPhone 4S. Although LTE chips from Qualcomm can also run on 3G bands, Apple might have had a financial reason to separate these models. There was no word on whether or not Apple would leave the iPad 2 on the shelves as a budget-priced model to compete with lower priced Android tablets.
Last weekend, we passed along a story that Apple might launch the next tablet on the same date that its new Houston Apple Store will open which is March 16th. According to an Apple Store insider who spoke with 9 to 5 Mac, there will be a big Apple Store event on March 16th to launch the Apple iPad HD. In addition to the Houston store, another Apple retail location will open on March 16th in London, inside the world famous Harrod's department store. Coincidence? We think not!
There is expected to be a shortage of the Apple iPad HD right off the bat, so if you are planning on purchasing the tablet next Friday, better be prepared to wait in a long line. And say hello to our friend the barista for us!
source: TheVerge, 9to5Mac via electronista
2. squallz506 (banned) (Posts: 1075; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
well there is the bar.
cant wait to see which android OEM raises it.
16. cepcamba (Posts: 717; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
Hi, Mister Confused here.
What bar? The only superb thing here is screen's pixel density, and that in itself is not yet a fact. Regarding the other specs it's just at par with the best Android tabs out there.
38. Lucas777 (Posts: 2137; Member since: 06 Jan 2011)
sales bar? anyways apple will always have its amount of market.. android more competes with itself.. the fire is much more a competitor to other android tablets than to the ipad… idk it just seems like you get into ecosystems and then by stuff that matches.. so not a huge amount of android to ios switching...
48. protozeloz (Posts: 5393; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
things seem to be kinda busy lately, and sometimes... there is not much to comment(trolls everywhere) but glad to see some nice people are still around
29. ardent1 (Posts: 2000; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
The android OEM are struggling to compete against the Amazon's and Barnes & Noble's who has had tremendous successfule with their e-readers.
37. cepcamba (Posts: 717; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
Yeah, maybe that's why Google is planning on releasing a 7inch sub$200 tab. Look like these is the sweet spot for the mass market.
7. jove39 (Posts: 1582; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Hmmm...waiting to see how A5x manages to feed such a high resolution display.
8. coy2013 (Posts: 10; Member since: 06 Mar 2012)
Apple has done it again...another "revolutionary" device...this time has the letters HD etch-a-sketched on the back
9. coy2013 (Posts: 10; Member since: 06 Mar 2012)
Also featuring a "sue the other person" app
Lmao...sorry couldn't resist
10. kingpet13 (Posts: 139; Member since: 02 Feb 2012)
I love how they say 1 gb of ram and lte like its something unheard of when most android tablets already have all those features.
20. gallitoking (Posts: 4718; Member since: 17 May 2011)
ohh you mean those tablets that noone will buy?.... just checking
26. CivicSi89 (Posts: 348; Member since: 23 Jul 2011)
I dont get you. Seriously. Explain why apple is so great. No Smarta$$ery. no none sense. Tell me how Android Sucks. and if you have a respectable response then i will leave you alone forever on these forums. But if not. Then i will write you off as a troll and forever disrespect you as a person. What do ya say Galitoking. Wanna put your Apple manhood up for stake? I am an equal oppertunity fanboy. I like TECH. Be it apple or Android. But What you do man. Its just silly. So Go. Explain.
31. ardent1 (Posts: 2000; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
> Tell me how Android Sucks.
1) Poor battery life
2) Android is fragmented meaning user experience is different based on the OEM -- having different skins complicates the issue
3) The consumer has no control over the operating system upgrade process. The current version is Ice Cream but many android users are stuck at Froyo. Recall how Samsung initially screwed 10 million buyers of their Samsung Galaxy line because their "skin" used too much resources.
4) Prior to Ice Cream, you had a version for handset sets such as Froyo or Gingerbread, and another version for tablets such as Honeycomb.
5) No min spec's guide -- the product quality is hit or miss depending on the manufacturer. Android tablets now go for as little as $80 in mainland China or India meaning the quality can be a POS.
6) No where as user-friendly as an integrated Apple iOS - Apple hardware product -- even a 3-year-old can use the iPad.
7) Better apps at Apple (especially gaming apps and better quality control on said apps, respectively)
8) More malware for android than iOS
9) No delta updates for OS updates
10) Not designed with end-user in mind; android devices tend to be frankenstein products that lack sex appeal, assembled quickly to market, lacks premium parts and materials -- although the latest android tablest ARE so much better than the first generation of products rushed to market -- recall the 7" tablets DOAs
11) LOWER resell value, etc
That is off the top of my head.
45. protozeloz (Posts: 5393; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
1) compared with the 4S? android has bigger screens and faster data speeds so something is lost and something is gained
2) android is differentiated with skins, not fragmented, also when the newest version is gains traction the vast mayoralty of apps operate on the updates
3) So the consumer has control over its Update schedule on iOS's? they get updates that offer little to no change, reduce device performance and force the user to move to a new device (3G, 3GS users) same as getting no updates, also you know what control of the update process means?
4) why is that a bad thing? do you think iOS for tablets and iOS for phones is the same thing? 4.0 is just an OS that can be mounted anywhere without any changes at all.
5) again why this is bad? if your budget can only fit a phone for Facebook and reading news then so be it, you don't have to pay for a 200 dollar phone. of you want a powerful device is also there
6) is that so? depends where you look bud
7) depends on the app you are looking for but yeah games are better
8) where? android market? ever heard of their blocker?
9) LOL we get updates with parches and bug fixes they can be really small.
10) again making general statements check the SE phones or the Nexus or the Galaxy line they all are good looking and well built,Galaxy S2 beat the iPhone in a fall test with ease.
11) depends on the country on CDMA USA sure is elsewhere? not so much
65. ardent1 (Posts: 2000; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
protozeloz: You keep saying real dumb things.
It's obvious you don't understand the concept of "fragmentation" -- there are millions of android users stuck on a prior versions like Froyo and can NEVER BE UPGRADED to the latest version.
The bulk of your replies also reflected your inability to understand these simple arguments. For example, if android OS already has poor battery life, then adding a faster processor or even a larger display (OTHERS BEINGS EQUAL), you just made the poor battery life worse.
68. protozeloz (Posts: 5393; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
you are the one with actual lack of common sense talking so generally of a wide range OS as if only operates on a small amount of devices, everyone with half a brain will understand that every android update has also come with improved battery performance. to the point I've already shown comparison
here is a simple one
The Galaxy Nexus With a Bigger Display, a higher clock on its processor and more ram still is rated for better battery life than the iPhone 4S on a package that's just as slim.
just because your head is stuck on 2.0 does not mean the OS is less battery efficient.
now when over 90% of the apps working on all phones with no issue, whats this fragmentation you talk about? adroid apps even crash less than on the "United" and "curated" ecosystem of the iPhone
49. frydaexiii (Posts: 1420; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
1) My SGS2 last 15 hours, in which 5 hours of it is used for gaming, surfing & facebook straight. The others hours are mostly standby and light usage like messaging and calling. How does 15 hours suck? I am awake about 15 hours a day, 8 of which is in school. 15 hours is more than enough to make it thru the day.
2) Having different skins is what makes each manufacturer user experience different. As much as I love if all Android manufacturers use stock Android to create a consistant experience. The custom interfaces is what differentiates them from their competitors because hardware wise, they are all mostly the same (Most dual core, 1GB Ram etc.).
3) You do have control, it's called rooting. And with Android, if you choose not to update, they wouldn't bother you. For iPhones, the moment you plug it into iTunes they keep bugging you to update to their latest crapware. Remember how some 3GS users raged because iOS5 was so laggy on their phones and they couldn't change it back to iOS4 which was smooth and "works"? If the consumer actually cared enough, he would learn to root. If not, he probably doesn't care, just as long as he can use his phone.
4) What's your point? It's still mostly the same, it's still android.
5) It's to appeal to the lower class. Unlike Apple, Androids are PHONES & TABLETS, not trophys to show off that you can afford it. Even if the specs are crappy, at least the option is there if you can't afford the best experience on the high end models.
6) So you like your products to have an interface made for babies? Ok...
7) I won't argue with that, that's like the only thing iOS has over Android.
8) I've repeated this countless times...If you don't be an idiot, viruses won't be a problem. And last I checked, PA had some articles about iOS apps stealing user data or something like that? Funny part? Android has antiviruses to choose from. iOS has how many again? 1? 2?
9) Oh? suddenly, Android 2.3.3 & Android 2.3.6 are totally different updates? Interesting
10) That's a user preference, at least we get to choose. Slim and slightly fragile or thick and tough. Big screen or small screen, black or other colors. All you get to choose is Thick, small screen and fragile in white or black.
11) Lower resale value happens when a new better model comes to replace the current model. High ends like the SGS2 price have remained generally the same since it was released because it remains one of the best(with slight drops due to the Note and GNex). Lower resale value for old models just shows lower end models are improving so quickly that the old models are so quickly being outclassed, replaced by a new standard of low ends with better specs. That is a good thing (especially for people like me who will never trade in my phones).
50. frydaexiii (Posts: 1420; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
Oh and these are just the things that iOS has and Android does better. I have yet to mention the things that Android has and iOS doesn't.
66. ardent1 (Posts: 2000; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
frydaexiii, you make a lot of really, really bad counter-arguments.
First, people don't care about individual personal experiences, they care about independent third party analysis. My Motorola Triumph last under 4 hours on constant use --http://www.laptopmag.com/revie
w/cellphones/motorola-triumph.aspxstates the Triumph's batteries last 3 hours 45 minutes.
Second, it's clear you employ the standard android camp excuse: When you can't provide a sound counter-argument, you change the argument. Upgrading the operating system IS NOT the same as rooting. With rooting, you void the warranty -- seriously, how can you not understand this simple concept???
Third, stick on topic. I understand manyy of points goes over your head, but that doesn't give you an excuse to flame.
My advise, good back to school and learn the basics of how to debate. You come across as being a neophyte.
32. gallitoking (Posts: 4718; Member since: 17 May 2011)
@Civic I think Apple is great because they figured out a way to sell their products to unthinkable levels based on marketing genius, and innovating on the original iphone.... technology moves so fast that is hard for a company that delivers one phone per year to innovate, but now instead of sticking to that formula like RIM,.. they now used what out here and make it better, follow up by again marketing... ex.- Siri,, nothing new under the sun, but they found a way to make it people wanted on their phone... me being a salesman.. just love that... if someone can come and tell you what you need and when... tip my hat to them... tried Android but didn't know what to do with it.. a unrooted android phone is as basics as it gets... 4 G most people don't know how to even turn it on.. now if Apple puts 4g on their devices.. watch how 4G will become popular... genius... that's all I have.
43. -box- (Posts: 3983; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
So even though the products are junk, you like them because of the advertising... Are you as easily taken in in other aspects of life, like the "I am a Mormon" commercials or the endless car commercials?
Also, apple has 4G on one device, the AT&T iphone 4S. Granted, it's not LTE, but it's still the fastest mobile data device they've sold to date
55. gallitoking (Posts: 4718; Member since: 17 May 2011)
I am sorry but i was not talking to you.. never said Apple products are junk.. thats your opinion..bud.. now you are wasting my time
62. frydaexiii (Posts: 1420; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
You know despite your constant annoying ranting on Android, I used to think you might be some techwiz who just happens to love iOS or had a bad experience with Android...Now we all know you're just a dumb saleman who loves Apple because of their marketing BS. lol, Respect points : -9000
36. kingpet13 (Posts: 139; Member since: 02 Feb 2012)
Those are the ones i mean. Since when did something have to be popular to work better than something else? I think these are great features, I just do not think that they deserve so much credit when LTE is starting to be expected, and phones are coming out with 2 GB RAM.
39. gallitoking (Posts: 4718; Member since: 17 May 2011)
"phones are coming out with 2 GB RAM" not even the SGSIII will have 2 gb ram.. so I dont know where you get that info
40. kingpet13 (Posts: 139; Member since: 02 Feb 2012)
You are right i was confusing some new tablets like the Huawei MediaPad 10 FHD with phones. I can make stupid mistakes sometimes. By the way how do you know th SGIIIs specs I am yet to have seen that anouncement.
56. gallitoking (Posts: 4718; Member since: 17 May 2011)
Announced and released are worlds apart in the Android world... i got the info about the SGSIII same place you got the official specs of the next ipad..
41. Cwebb (Posts: 501; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
Because us Android people are more than satisfied with our phones that we don't need a tablet to compensate.
11. andro. (Posts: 1994; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
How many of the exact same articles will be posted saying the exact same speculations over and over again of what the one or two changes there will be in the ipad 2$??!!
There must have been at least 20 in recent weeks stating the processor and camera will be slightly better and the screen having higher resolution despite it still being stuck on a dated 4:3 aspect ratio. The constant articles create ifan buying fever but its all the one as they would buy the ipad 1 again if apple slapped an ipad 2$ label on it and said it would change everything again!!
21. gallitoking (Posts: 4718; Member since: 17 May 2011)
wait for tomorrow.. nothing but Apple.. Andro to your delight
28. andro. (Posts: 1994; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
We will only need to read one article though and laugh at it as countless as they will be they will all be exact same articles going along the lines of : 'apple changes everything again with better screen' and 'Ifans lose control of their bladders over the excitement of the ipad 2$' and so on
33. ardent1 (Posts: 2000; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
> 'Ifans lose control of their bladders over the excitement
So why doesn't happen to android fans? Perhaps the lack of android devices that can create the same type of excitement is the cause. Hmmm.
51. frydaexiii (Posts: 1420; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
Because they are just phones and tablets, not a doomsday device or a new president.
and Android users aren't kids who piss their pants wanting to buy the latest toys available at the toy store and bugging their parents for it...
60. andro. (Posts: 1994; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
Couldn't have said it better myself!
Android fans can get excited at getting a new phone,just as they are buying it but not the childish frothing at the mouth like ifans for months and months before the idevice is released and then followed by months and months of 'look at me im the best I've an ipad,Im cool' after they buying it while again frothing at the mouth again in anticipation of the next version of it coming a year later changed solely by an $ added to the name. Parents must get sick of cleaning up all their little ifan kids froth
67. ardent1 (Posts: 2000; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
frydaexiii, do you have a brain? Try using somethings and THINK before replying.
The issue is about creating excitement -- how can you be so dense???
61. andro. (Posts: 1994; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
Are you just admitting you lose control of your bladder in excitement?!
23. som (Posts: 768; Member since: 10 Nov 2009)
Apple made new iPad to fit in all older accessories and keep current customers happy because they don't have to buy new accessories every time they are buying new iPad. Some accessories are very expensive like Bluetooth speakers, others.
42. Cwebb (Posts: 501; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
Boy, you really think Apple cares that much about their cattle, I mean customers
47. -box- (Posts: 3983; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Not all accessories fit between generations of apple devices... chargers especially. If they'd just go for the industry-standard MicroUSB, they'd be fine, and would have been for the last few years, but no, they have to have a propietary one to rake in more profits on an item that costs cents to make. They moved the side buttons on the 4S so that the cases from the iphone4 don't fit. Bluetooth is the one universal standard they make available, but you still can't do everything with it you can with other devices, so it might as well be FireWave or DisplayPoof or MagicMediaMover or some other goofily branded thing that they claim is the best and most wonderful thing ever created
52. gayasarafe (Posts: 25; Member since: 06 Mar 2012)
just wait for the benchmarks. It will put asus transformer to shame even thoug it's quad core and ipad is dual core
53. dazweeja (Posts: 3; Member since: 06 Mar 2012)
And if it doesn't, will you say, "No-one cares about benchmarks. They're for geeks anyway. Apple is all about the user experience."
57. xtplnet (Posts: 51; Member since: 03 Mar 2012)
I am sure by following Apple strategies , probably only 1 tablet will get release .
Specification like HD Screen , quad core , NFC and Siri Implementation . better cameras.
58. Bluesky02 (Posts: 1439; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
So it is true, it is going to be truly iPad HD. Looks like Apple is changing. The whole focus on HD.
63. frydaexiii (Posts: 1420; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
lol, I'd rather they have an iPad 2S...At least the name shows that the screen isn't the only thing they changed...
64. Bluesky02 (Posts: 1439; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
Agree, same thing I was thinking. The whole HD thing is focus mainly on the screen. Another Marketing Gimmick.