Chen: Those who leak BlackBerry products will be punished
Chen revealed that BlackBerry is taking legal action against someone who pretended to be working for one of the carriers that partners with BlackBerry. The impersonation allowed this person to find out confidential information about a future BlackBerry product, which Chen said was leaked to the public.The executive said that his new strict policy will probably mean that BlackBerry fans will be seeing fewer leaked photos of future BlackBerry devices, even though he admits that they can be fun for the fans.
This isn't the first time that a handset manufacturer got upset about leaks. After a large number of leaks revealed information about the Sony Xperia Z1 before its launch, Sony vowed to crack down on the practice, and posted "No Leakage" signs throughout its offices. Sony warned employees to follow certain procedures when handling prototypes, such as using a case that could disguise the look of the phone. In addition, Sony told those handling prototypes not to install any apps that could lead a mobile ad network to identify the phone. For all of Sony's desire to stop leaks, the Sony Xperia Z2 was often the subject of leaked photographs and information.
While HTC executives hinted legal action against a kid who made a review of the all new HTC One (M8) weeks before Tuesday's launch, we would imagine that internally, executives of the company had to be pleased with the hype generated by leaks of the phone. No amount of advertising could have generated the excitement over the handset that took place prior to its unveiling and launch.
source: BlackBerry via Engadget
2. newbey123 (Posts: 380; Member since: 19 Mar 2012)
Really don't think he has to worry. Leaks tend to happen when people are excited for your product. Blackberry doesn't register on most peoples radar.
3. bestmvno (Posts: 108; Member since: 07 Mar 2014)
Free advertising and pre-release hype, but who needs that? Certainly not Rim, they are a market leader.....said someone in 2006.
11. thealphageek1 (banned) (Posts: 942; Member since: 02 Feb 2013)
Too bad "RIM" doesn't exist anymore. The company is called BLACKBERRY now.
16. ardent1 (Posts: 1991; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
thealphageek1: you missed the high brow humor. RIM did exist and was the market leader in *2006*
17. thealphageek1 (banned) (Posts: 942; Member since: 02 Feb 2013)
Didn't miss it. Just didn't find it too amusing is all.
4. Hallucinator (Posts: 339; Member since: 24 May 2010)
I would think that owning a blackberry would be punishment enough.
13. thealphageek1 (banned) (Posts: 942; Member since: 02 Feb 2013)
I own a BlackBerry 10 device and I love it. No punishment here. It would be a punishment if I owned ANY OTHER device as opposed to a BB10 device.
30. Nikolas.Oliver (banned) (Posts: 1574; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
Not a punishment but a liability instead
35. thealphageek1 (banned) (Posts: 942; Member since: 02 Feb 2013)
Not a liability either. Try harder.
5. xoxoGeorges (Posts: 194; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
As if anyone actually cared about new BB devices....
38. NexusKoolaid (Posts: 279; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
Woot! Chalk up one fan for Blackberry. Now step it up Chen - got to find fanboy #2.
39. thealphageek1 (banned) (Posts: 942; Member since: 02 Feb 2013)
Get off mine. Begone troll.
15. apiskula (Posts: 544; Member since: 25 Jan 2013)
This guy is lame. Nobody cares about BlackBerry products anymore
21. Arte-8800 (Posts: 3086; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
i never liked bb devices except the bold9000 which had class and nice build, the alternative to having a bb was Nokia E71
6. SuperMaoriBro (Posts: 255; Member since: 23 Jun 2012)
leaks generate excitement about products - something blackberry really needs. If there is no excitement about their products even fewer people will actually care when they finally do release something - unless it is ground breaking, which going by recent history, blackberry hasn't been able to achieve.
7. Sesameopen (Posts: 105; Member since: 02 Aug 2013)
Uh... I actually enjoy my Q10, its my daily driver out of quite a lot of choices.
8. tenzin (Posts: 83; Member since: 20 Dec 2013)
There's a reason because BlackBerry 10.2 is better then android just people don't know
20. Arte-8800 (Posts: 3086; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
he wont and there will not be a reply from him
12. thealphageek1 (banned) (Posts: 942; Member since: 02 Feb 2013)
Too many haters commenting on this article. There is nothing wrong with the CEO of ANY company wanting to protect their property. You haters should troll elsewhere. If this were Apple or Samsung saying this, you BlackBerry haters would be cheering them on. Such hypocrites.
19. Paximos (Posts: 53; Member since: 26 Jul 2012)
Are you in denial? HTC just introduced their M8 One, Samsung and Sony new products will be hitting the market in a few days, iPhone 6 is around the corner and even Windows Phone 8.1 is in horizon, what the hell is blackberry doing?
24. thealphageek1 (banned) (Posts: 942; Member since: 02 Feb 2013)
If you have to ask "what the hell is BlackBerry doing", then you must not get information from too many sites other than phone arena. I don't limit myself when it comes to where I get my information from, so I happen to be "in the know". It's all fine and dandy that Android manufacturers are putting out new hardware(albeit not too much different from each other). It's great that Windows Phone has 8.1 on the horizon and that Apple has a new iPhone in the works(hopefully it will be innovative this time). I prefer what BlackBerry has to offer. I don't hate on any other platform. If it's not for me, so be it. What I am saying is, why do you haters feel the need to bash BlackBerry? Does it make you feel good at night? Do you "get off" on it? If you don't like something, fine. But there is no need to bash it. I prefer BB10 over any other platform. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Is that a problem? Not that I care if it is a problem. Tell me something : have you ever used a BB10 device before? For at least a month? Because if you have not, then your hate is full of ignorance. And yes, I've used Android and iOS extensively, and currently own a Windows pro tablet and a WP device in addition to my BB10 device. Now if necessary, I can provide links to what BlackBerry is up to as of late from an UNBIASED point of view. RIP BlackBerry? No, I think not. And you and the rest of the haters will learn that soon enough.
32. thealphageek1 (banned) (Posts: 942; Member since: 02 Feb 2013)
....about you, that's for sure.
34. Paximos (Posts: 53; Member since: 26 Jul 2012)
I bought 2 Z10s when they went on sale ($199) in Xmas time, both returned. Anyway, I respect your opinion of BB but facts are facts. If they make it, great, more competition, consumers win.
36. thealphageek1 (banned) (Posts: 942; Member since: 02 Feb 2013)
Yes. Facts are facts. And the facts will show that BlackBerry is recovering. But, I respect the fact that we could agree to disagree in a civilized manner.
22. zachattack (Posts: 533; Member since: 31 Jul 2013)
That's funny, he acts like people care about blackberry
25. thealphageek1 (banned) (Posts: 942; Member since: 02 Feb 2013)
People do care about BlackBerry. No joke here.
23. verty (Posts: 101; Member since: 07 May 2012)
Go sit down paximos and others. BB 10.2 is so much an enjoyable OS. Opposed to your fake IOS. One day I know Zombies will wake up from this trance and spell that steve jobs has them under. Well done Mr Chen I commend you always for the energy and vibe that you are infusing into the BB brand. The tide is turning........keep at it the tide is really turning.
26. thealphageek1 (banned) (Posts: 942; Member since: 02 Feb 2013)
+1 to you, sir. We know the truth about BlackBerry. Haters be damned.
33. Paximos (Posts: 53; Member since: 26 Jul 2012)
LOL...not an iOS fan at all. I gave up my BB Storm for a Nexus One and have stayed with Android since then. Recently picked up 2 Z10s when they went on sale for $199, one as a gift and one for myself to test it out, returned both within 3 days. It took me 41 days and countless calls to get my refund though.. You guys are either a couple real hardcore bb fans, work for them or somehow paid by them. RIP Blackberry ...
37. thealphageek1 (banned) (Posts: 942; Member since: 02 Feb 2013)
I don't work for BlackBerry. Just a fan of BlackBerry, as you are no doubt a fan of Android. Don't get paid by them, either. I like what I like and support what I like. Just like, I suspect, you do. To each his own. And RIP BlackBerry? Not even close.
42. Paximos (Posts: 53; Member since: 26 Jul 2012)
The only reason I say RIP is because this guy's attitude has changed, he was very upbeat and so were many others when he came on board weather they were BB fan or not but I don't see that any more. Hope he does turn this company around, as I said, competition is good and healthy and for a company that was once king of the phones, it would be awesome to see them competing and not struggling.
27. refillable (Posts: 583; Member since: 10 Mar 2014)
Too harsh Sir... Anyway, Good Luck on your breakthrough products!