Apple picking up former AMD employees for GPU team
1. nnaatthhaannx2 (Posts: 819; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
How do we know that these GPUs will be powering iOS rather than OSX devices?
3. Diazene (Posts: 123; Member since: 01 May 2013)
because OSX uses off the shelf GPUs from nVidia and AMD, and it doesn't make that much money, not enough to justify hiring new engineers
2. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 2964; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Michael, how about "Apple HIRING former AMD employees for GPU team"?
They're not waste disposals that you pick up from the dump man.
4. jay0830 (Posts: 3; Member since: 25 Jul 2012)
GOOD!!!! Apple needs all the help it they can get....lol
8. Jasonhunterx (Posts: 110; Member since: 20 Jul 2011)
Apple is not actually behind the curve in hardware software yes please don't make us Apple haters look stupid thank you
9. tedkord (Posts: 3908; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
They're not behind the curve is cpu/gpu, but there are areas of hardware where they are behind. Screen resolution, for instance. They also usually lag in connectivity, ie. they didn't get LTE until nearly two years after others.
10. Jasonhunterx (Posts: 110; Member since: 20 Jul 2011)
They don't need that much pixels for a screen of that size its perfect and they waited until LTE was relevant
5. papss (Posts: 3376; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
The one place apple doesn't need a ton of help is in the GPU... Is there anything more powerful than what is in the ipad4 yet? I'm no apple fan but they seem to be tops in graphic intense games.
6. darkkjedii (Posts: 9262; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Nice to see people tell it like they see it papss. +1 here comes the red
13. Shatter (Posts: 1763; Member since: 29 May 2013)
Adreno 330 will most likely be the first popular gpu for android that can outperform the Ipad 4 gpu.
14. Pedro0x (Posts: 270; Member since: 19 Oct 2012)
In newer benchmarks that use OpenGL 3.0, for example GFXBench, adreno will win with ease, SGX554 doesn´t have support for OpenGL 3.0 only 2.1, in these new benchmarks SGX will lose but I believe that SGX will be on par with adreno 330 in benchmarks that use old technologies. SGX 554MP4 have around 76.8GFLOPS at 300 MHz and adreno 320 have 51.2 GFLOPS at 500 MHz. Snapdragon will use HMKG process for Snapdragon 800 and that is why it will be clocked to higher frequencies, adreno 330 should be around 50% more powerful than adreno 320 so it should have around 75 GFLOPS (I know that GFLOPS isn´t everything), so I think that adreno 330 will be better than SGX554MP4 overall. SGX554 was published in December 2010 and it can still outperform adreno 320 and that is incredible, when the Rogue graphics(Gxxx) will come it will outperform everything on the market by around 400% and if it will be used in the new Iphone or Ipad, everyone will be screwed. It should support OpenGL 4.x, and it should be more powerful than Xbox 360.
Also Mali T-658 should come this year and it should have same performance like Rogue.
I think this year should be pretty interesting, and if these new graphics(rogue and mali) will come out this year adreno and everyone else will be screwed.
7. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 5634; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
So this means no quad core processor on the iph5s? Shame.
12. Shatter (Posts: 1763; Member since: 29 May 2013)
"Former" employees did they leave or get fired.
15. taikucing (unregistered)
get fired, because AMD has financial problem
19. quadrazeus (Posts: 359; Member since: 03 May 2013)
C'mon Michael, you know how lame he is, lol.
17. jameshoe (unregistered)
No quad-core necessary, dual-core is fast enough on iOS device, unlike Android...
16. jedix (Posts: 12; Member since: 13 Apr 2013)
did apple know that nvidia is so much better than amd?
18. kdealltheway (Posts: 78; Member since: 21 Oct 2012)
Driver or hardware department? If you are talking about hardware then you are fanboy or just missinformed.