Vast majority of Apple A9 chip orders are going to Samsung and Globalfoundries

Vast majority of Apple A9 chip orders are going to Samsung and Globalfoundries
According to industry sources, a whopping 70% of Apple A9 chips earmarked for the Apple iPhone 6s are being produced by Samsung and Globalfoundries. A report published on Friday says that both will use 14nm FinFET technology to manufacture the chips. TSMC will be responsible for the remaining 30% of A9 chips, which will be manufactured using 16nm FinFET tech. TSMC is responsible for the entire production of Apple A8 chips, current employed on the Apple iPhone 6 and Apple iPhone 6 Plus.

Samsung is said to be ready to produce 30,000 to 40,000 12-inch wafers each month in order to feed its 14nm FinFET production. Demand for the final products from the process is led by both Apple and by Samsung itself. Besides Apple's A9 chip, Samsung will be in the middle of rolling its own 14nm Exynos chips off the assembly line.

Figuring out who will make the next Apple Ax chip has become a parlor game. Usually, it is between Samsung and TSMC. Samsung has the edge now because it developed the 14nm FinFET process technology, which it licenses to other chip makers like Globalfoundries. The 14nm process allows the Apple A9 chip to be 20% more powerful while using 35% less battery life.

source: DigiTimes



1. Iodine

Posts: 1480; Member since: Jun 19, 2014

Apple can stay with TSMC and 20nm, but they will deffinitelly push for a smaller node heavilly and they could go with TSMC and their 16nm FinFet Plus process (which seems more mature, trial production had already begun) or samsungs 14nm fin-fet (no relase date yet). FinFet will be some serious jump that will yeald some serious battery life improvements as S iPhones aren't thinner than their predescessors.

7. RangersK

Posts: 68; Member since: May 15, 2012

That's not true. For the FinFet schedule TSMC is 1 or 2Q's behind Samsung.

2. dTone

Posts: 69; Member since: Jan 09, 2015

And after all the s**tfighting between these two, apple always goes back to samsung. What does that say about samsung?

3. Kruze

Posts: 1285; Member since: Dec 30, 2014

When in public... Samsung: Don't get the iPhone 6 Plus! It sucks and it bends! Get the Note 4, best phablet ever! Apple: Don't get the Note 4! Too much bloatware and features that no one uses! Get the iPhone 6 Plus, feel the simple and premium! Samsung: I hate this crappy fruit! Apple: I hate you too Samedung! When in court... Samsung: Judge, I wanna sue this crappy fruit for copying! Apple: Judge, I wanna sue this Samedung yong yong for copying! Judge Lucy Koh: You guys can't be like that ya? Pay each other 5 billion and stop this argument already okeh? When in private meeting... Apple: Eh yo, me brotha! Are we Apple A9's chip done yet? Samsung: Almost done, me brotha! Apple: Thank you, mah man! Sorry for criticizing you in public! We brothas for evar rite, mah man? Samsung: Hell yeah! Keep our friendship low low to secret when in public ok ya? Apple: Ohh rite, mah man! THE END... They're enemies on the outside, and friends on the inside.

5. TwerkLover84

Posts: 13; Member since: Jan 12, 2015

your impersonation of hood black people makes me think you've never heard a real hood black person speak before?

6. Kruze

Posts: 1285; Member since: Dec 30, 2014

That's more like a Indian+Asian accent than a hood black people's accent. So, your knowledge is just cheating you. Don't be so serious, I like accents.

8. meanestgenius

Posts: 22072; Member since: May 28, 2014

So true. Business partners make the best competition, I guess. That's funny as hell, too!

4. eggimage

Posts: 83; Member since: Jan 19, 2012

They both need each other badly. Samsung's revenue plummeted when TSMC took over majority of the production, and Apple knows Samsung still has a slight edge in overall production rates, as well as the flash storage and memory. They'll keep bashing each other while they make hundreds of billions of $$ out of us and sit back watching us the consumers bash each other on the internet


Posts: 182; Member since: Jun 15, 2014

Apple's decision to move to TSMC has NOTHING to do with Samsung Mobile. That move affected Samsung Semicondctor, which btw had improved profits and sales in 2014 despite Apple's decision. Samsung Electronics Mobile Division took a hit but that had nothing to do with the TSMC decision by Apple. Again, Samsung Mobile and Samsung Semiconductor are two completely separate subsidiaries of Samsung Electronics.

10. tedkord

Posts: 17357; Member since: Jun 17, 2009

You beat me to it. Good explanation.

Latest Stories

This copy is for your personal, non-commercial use only. You can order presentation-ready copies for distribution to your colleagues, clients or customers at or use the Reprints & Permissions tool that appears at the bottom of each web page. Visit for samples and additional information.