Notification Center

This is our new notification center. Inside, you will find updates on the most important things happening right now.

Notifications

Hmm, push notifications seem to be disabled in your browser. You can enable them from the 'Settings' icon in the URL bar of your browser.

www.phonearena.com

CompareMyMobile: The iPhone 5 became the most traded-in device towards a new iPhone 6, topping the Samsung Galaxy S3

9
CompareMyMobile: The iPhone 5 became the most traded-in device towards a new iPhone 6, topping the S
Gadget recycling comparison site CompareMyMobile has published a report detailing how the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus launch excitement impacted smartphone trade-ins. There are some interesting insights and key takeaways to dig into inside the data, which has been collected throughout September 2014 - before, during, and after the iPhone 6 launch.

Apple is still a marketing powerhouse


CompareMyMobile says that 51.48% - more than half of the customers trading in their old devices on the website said they planned to upgrade to the iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus, and so they did. 88.17% of these people traded in an older iPhone model, with the rest handing in a Samsung (7.35%), HTC (3.19%), or Other brand (1.28%) smartphone.

This speaks of extremely high customer loyalty the majority of customers swapped an iPhone for an iPhone and nothing else. To get some perspective, only 18.75% percent of Galaxy S5 upgraders traded in an older Samsung handset. Instead, 37.48% of Galaxy S5 upgraders traded in an older iPhone.

The iPhone 6 Plus gets no love


Apparently, 85.94% of those upgrading to an iPhone 6 went for the smaller 4.7-inch screen variant, leaving only 14.06% going for the 5.5-inch screen iPhone 6 Plus. The reasons for this can be freely debated. We can only assume that once someone has gotten used to comfortably getting around an iPhone one-handed, they'd like it to stay that way. Perhaps we should run a little survey of our own. What's your take on this particular phenomenon? Is it the size? Is it #bendgate? Leave your thoughts in the comments below.

Apple is cashing in on iPhone 5 upgrades big-time


The most traded-in device is the iPhone 5, with 56.23% of upgraders trading theirs for a new iPhone 6. Additionally, the iPhone 5 made for 20.64% of all trade-ins on the website, enjoying a 34.81% spike in trade-ins on launch day. Whew! Meanwhile, 20.45% have decided not to hold onto their iPhone 5s any longer, and only 4.79% have traded in their semi-ancient iPhone 4s. Also in the lowest percentages are the ancient iPhone 4 (2.24%), the plasticky iPhone 5c (2.24%), the beloved HTC One (M8) (1.91%) and the resilient Samsung Galaxy S4 (1.59%). If Apple designed the iPhone 6 with the goal of making you give up your iPhone 5 the instant you see it, it succeeded with aplomb!

Wrap-up: a heated launch


As a whole, it was a heated launch for sure! In the words of CompareMyMobile co-founder Ashley Turner, Samsung lost its dominating position in the smartphone trade-in market as loyal Apple fans stormed the site in a bid to get the most cash from their old device towards a new iPhone 6. The 16GB iPhone 5 took the top spot in most traded-in devices from the Samsung Galaxy S3. Following the iPhone 6 reveal, consumers rushed to check how much they can get for trading in their devices, and iPhone valuations jumped by a whopping 180.92%. Recyclers had to reduce the prices they offered for different iPhone models by almost 19% as to not become overwhelmed by the sheer number of traded-in units.

source: CompareMyMobile (thanks!)

New reasons to get excited every week

Get the most important news, reviews and deals in mobile tech delivered straight to your inbox

Related phones

Apple iPhone 6 specs
  • Display 4.7 inches 1334 x 750 pixels
  • Camera 8 MP (Single camera) 1.2 MP front
  • Hardware Apple A8 1GB RAM
  • Storage 128GB, not expandable
  • Battery 1810 mAh
  • OS iOS 12.x
Apple iPhone 6 Plus specs
  • Display 5.5 inches 1920 x 1080 pixels
  • Camera 8 MP (Single camera) 1.2 MP front
  • Hardware Apple A8 1GB RAM
  • Storage 128GB, not expandable
  • Battery 2915 mAh
  • OS iOS 12.x
FEATURED VIDEO

Latest News

FCC OKs Cingular\'s purchase of AT&T Wireless