Apple iPhone 6 bursts into flames during flight from Washington to Hawaii; plane lands safely
posted by Alan F. / Mar 20, 2016, 8:42 PM
Once Crail realized that the eight-inch flames were coming from her iPhone, she shoved the flaming handset under another passenger's chair. That caused the flames to grow even higher (and certainly didn't endear her to the rest of the passengers!).
Thankfully, the flight crew was well trained and quickly put out the fire. When former pilot and industry expert John Nance was asked if iPhones should be banned from flight because of the possibility that they could start a fire, he said that this sort of situation happens infrequently. He did say that the fire shows why those carrying a smartphone on board a plane should have it set to airplane mode. This prevents the phone from constantly searching for a signal, which can heat up the battery.
As for Thursday's incident, neither the FCC or Apple returned calls for comment. We've seen a number of cases over the years where an iPhone or a Samsung Galaxy S device has spontaneously combusted. In August 2014, a passenger boarding for a flight from Tel-Aviv, Israel to Prague, Czech Republic noticed that her Apple iPhone 5 had started smoking. After a brief delay, the plane was cleared to take off and had an uneventful flight.
source: KOMO via CNET
Posts: 15; Member since: Mar 17, 2016
Well.. That sucks
posted on Mar 20, 2016, 8:57 PM 3
As much the hate all iPhones and anything to do with apple it sucks for everybody because the Apple phones burst into flames and electricute and kill people left and right, it happens more in the larger areas where It can cause damage than any other phone maker out there so what I mean is now we will no longer be able to have electronic devices on planes thanks to Apples Crap
posted on Mar 20, 2016, 10:40 PM 6
Posts: 564; Member since: Mar 25, 2015
Not surprised, iphones burst into flames on the ground too. It's an iPhone feature, comes in very handy during winter. You will appreciate it when it burns your house down to the ground, shows how powerful this feature is.
posted on Mar 20, 2016, 9:06 PM 34
Posts: 984; Member since: Sep 02, 2015
Hahaha. Well. I found your comment funny
posted on Mar 20, 2016, 9:10 PM 7
Posts: 14967; Member since: Sep 25, 2013
You're just mad because its the phone you love so much. How come its mostly always the iPhone catching on fire all the time? It's a cheap overprice piece of crap that should have been recalled when it bent in peoples pockets. I am concerned about the risk, I could care less what people like. But the risk is, if you bend the phone, you could damage the battery. Which means if the battery is damage, even if you can bend the phone back in place, when you go to charge the battery or if it gets hot, if the battery is ruptured it will burst into flames and someone could get killed as we have seen, or seriously injured which we have seen.
posted on Mar 21, 2016, 9:23 AM 1
Techie shedding those tears again. Let's not forget the combustible feature on Samsung phones, S-Plode. Sort of how the Note 5 should have been recalled because of the Pengate issue? Or what about the Ramgate issue where the 4GB of RAM was pointless because of the aggressive RAM management? Except the whole bending thing was an exaggerated issue from ignorant haters who wanted some trolling fuel for their pointless arguments.
posted on Mar 21, 2016, 11:40 AM 0
Posts: 31036; Member since: Feb 05, 2011
Dumbest post yet. That sh*t was just plain stupid and not even remotely funny. Post 4 was actually funny, and only 3 words.
posted on Mar 20, 2016, 9:27 PM 12
Something else Samesung copies, lol.
posted on Mar 20, 2016, 9:30 PM 1
Send a warning to post author
Send a warning to Selected user.
The user has 0 warnings currently.
Next warning will result in ban!
Ban user and delete all posts
Message to PhoneArena moderator (optional):