x We have placed cookies on your device to make your experience better. Find more info here.
x PhoneArena.com наема във Варна! Ако технологиите са в кръвта ти и имаш перфектен писмен английски,
ние ти даваме възможността да станеш част от екипа ни. - виж повече

Verizon to launch the BlackBerry Storm at $99?

Posted: , by PhoneArena Team

Verizon to launch the BlackBerry Storm at $99?
What could be better than the potential of a brand new BlackBerry Storm launching for the low rate of $99 during the holiday season? According to Fortune's Techland blog, Verizon Wireless may be planning to do just that. According to insiders, the company may price the phone as low as free, however the reasonable assumption seems to be in between $99 and $149 with a two-year agreement. Based on the recent publicity surrounding the device, we expect it to generate a great amount of fanfare when it launches in the next few weeks.

RIM BlackBerry Bold Specifications

source: Techland via Gizmodo

Verizon to launch the BlackBerry Storm at $99?

i hope its only 100 bucks but i dont want to get my hopes up because the bold is $400 before rebate

posted on 06 Nov 2008, 20:30

IF you would like to get your World taken by Storm the First day it releases then please go to this website and email me your name and number at the email on this website http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ele/908913081.html

posted on 06 Nov 2008, 20:32

Remember this is for NEW and Upgrade Eligible lines and welcome to port in numbers

posted on 07 Nov 2008, 03:11

86. Sinfulta (unregistered)

I wouldn't put this price totally past anyone. Vodaphone UK launched the phone for $0. That's right. $0 When you sign up on a plan in the UK £45+(That's $70.65/month in US Money) on an 18 Month contract. So given the Fact the US Version has two Extra CDMA Bands (CDMA 800/1900 W/EVDO RevA) Plus GSM 800/900/1800/1900 and UTMS 2100. I'd say that seems right for $99 for the US if Vodaphone can get it for free. Even if the full retail is $599 at Verizon's Cost from RIM. Selling for $99 will give a $500 Subsidy, $30/mo minimum data plan. RIM get's (Someone please chime in because I can't remember) $6-7/mo from the Data plan monthly, That leaves Verizon with over $500 subsidy made up in a 2yr term. And that's if everyone got the $29.99/mo data feature, let alone the corporate users which will need $44.99/mo. Great way to bring in new people and make profit mostly on the voice part of it if you ask me.

posted on 04 Nov 2008, 05:36

Interesting that the article is about the Storm, but the link is to the Bold's specifications...

posted on 04 Nov 2008, 07:02

5. vzw fanboy (unregistered)

haha your right, thats weird

posted on 04 Nov 2008, 06:04

verizon may have been advertising the black berry storm like no other but has given its employees hardly any info, i work for them and my source doesnt even list the phone which is incredibly sad, the price through is probably going to be around 149.99 though before rebate it would make since considering the other blackberrys on hand

posted on 04 Nov 2008, 09:56

You can't work for them - your grammar is terrible. We hire only the best! Lastly - you're all wrong about the price!

posted on 04 Nov 2008, 11:03

I second the grammar errors.

posted on 04 Nov 2008, 11:25

wow that was bad.....................very bad

posted on 04 Nov 2008, 15:43

46. christmas tree (unregistered)

Get off this man's back he's expressing himself the best way he can. As long as he get's his point accross Jerks

posted on 05 Nov 2008, 09:29

believe me their are far worse than myself that work with verizon wireless, I dont know about you but you are under a false premise that verizon only hires the best, just saying.

posted on 06 Nov 2008, 08:30

Do you work for an indirect location? ;) Heh.

posted on 06 Nov 2008, 16:16

I work for them.................my IQ is very high...........................72

posted on 04 Nov 2008, 06:06

i don't really know, but i think it might be expensive just like the blackberry bold. That's just as powerful and isn't even a touchscreen. I'd be really surprised if it was $99 or $150. If that were to happen i'd ask why is the bold soo expensive?

posted on 04 Nov 2008, 07:39

I will tell you why I think the Storm may go for only $99. VZ is going to do what ever they can to try and cause as much attention to this phone to get people excited about this and take the spot light off the I Phone. They know that no one will wait in line or pay EDP's from other carriers to get this phone. They also realized that this was the first quarter that VZ lost a substantial amount of customer base to ATT's and know that more and more will leave this quarter. Everyone knows that the I Phone is the phone that everyone wants or wishes their phone was like and the only reason why more people have not switched is ATT's 3G service. As their service gets better and the 3G expands and it is, more and more people will switch. This could be their way to keep people from doing that as well as to attract dis gruntled customers. Now here comes the issue, If the discount the phone that much it will crush their fourth quarter earnings as it did for ATT's third quarter. It cost ATT $900 million to sell 2.4 million I Phones. Of course VZ will not even come close to that many Storms but discounting this phone that much will hurt their bottom line. Now add the Storm to the merger with Alltel and the $22 billion of debt that comes along with it will sure hurt them in quarter 4. I'm sure all they will have to do is go to the nearest ATM for the bank of Vodefone for more money to bail them out. Now this is just an opinion not a dig at VZ.

posted on 04 Nov 2008, 08:19

DUDE get laid..thanks for the finacial report....!

posted on 04 Nov 2008, 08:27

Once again you people have no idea what your talking about. Did you know that for every customer that leaves verizon, verizon takes 8 att customers! You are being misled about ATT and their 3g network, Verizon was the first carrier to launch 3g and has the largest coverage in the us. Besides are you aware that verizon is the only cell company in the US that actually makes a profit! At&t has to borrow money just to pay its bills!!! People wake up!!!

posted on 04 Nov 2008, 08:53

I work for Verizon and you are totally wrong about you "takes 8 att customers" claim.

posted on 04 Nov 2008, 09:15

19. SlayerOfDoucheBags (unregistered)

Dude why are you being a douche bag, the guy is just offering up some interesting information, if you don't want to here it get the heck out of here before I slay you.

posted on 04 Nov 2008, 09:16

20. SlayerOfDoucheBags (unregistered)

I spelled hear wrong haha

posted on 04 Nov 2008, 09:46

vzw was 45% PROFIT LAST YEAR. the profit was 4.5 billion. vzw is one of the most profitable companies falling profit wise just just short of oil money. and they are on track with the same kind of numbers this year. the purchase of alltell isnt just a donation of money they also get their cust base as well as their towers improving an already tremendous network. vzw isnt hurting for cash flow. in the 3rd quarter they may have lost 500,000 cust to at&t but still for the 3rd quarter they have gained 2.1 million from quarter 2. sure vzw doesnt want to loose cust to at&t but keep in perspective.

posted on 04 Nov 2008, 11:27

WOW why on earth did they hire you. let me guess you work for a call center. does it make you feel bettter to say you work with verizon HA

posted on 04 Nov 2008, 11:55

37. primewax (unregistered)

Hey, don't lump all of us call center employees together...lol. I work for one, and I have no idea where these numbers are coming from. Some secret insider source? Or the recesses of a lonely mind? Who knows?

posted on 04 Nov 2008, 12:26

actually, it was a 44% profit MARGIN, so your close. VZW is in no way shape or form hurting for money. We are one of the best run companies in the world. And the reason we practically GIVE AWAY our blackberrys instead of using ATT's jacked up pricing, is that you spend more for the service, so why hit you in the front, and in the rear like ATT? VZW (and all phone companies) make mad profit margins off of data service. So if we give you the high data phone, its because we know we will make it back in a few months. That and the customer satisfaction is soooooo much higher on a BB than it is on say.. a glyde :) BBs also have the lowest churn rate in the entire industry, of any phone, on any network. They dont call them crackberrys for no reason. so we all win. customers get a great device cheaply, and are more tied to the service, which increases happyness... and VZW makes a few extra bux in the end. yaaaay free market! :)

posted on 04 Nov 2008, 15:34

to bad Verizon is already Working on their 4g network.. verizon Will ONLY get Better and Better.. As for you.. i think your thought process will get worse and worse

posted on 04 Nov 2008, 16:08

Actually... actually... damn you and your retarded statistics...

posted on 05 Nov 2008, 09:07

57. SlayerOfDoucheBagsSmokesPoll (unregistered)

incorrect info is incorrect info... and you do relize that you are a douche bag right?

posted on 06 Nov 2008, 08:34

Although Verizon Wireless is a smaller company than Vodafone, it remains the most profitable wireless company in the wireless industry. The crucial difference between VZW reselling the phone at a significant loss and AT&T doing the same is that VZW is not responsible for sharing a significant amount of the Storm's data revenue with another company -- 96% of that revenue remains with VZW. As I am not employed by AT&T I can't speculate on a particular number regarding their revenue payout to Apple -- however, I know that the exorbitant portion of the revenue that Apple wanted was one of many factors influencing VZW's corporate management from signing a deal.

posted on 09 Nov 2008, 13:05

verizon was not the first carrier to launch 3g. get your facts straight.

posted on 26 Nov 2008, 20:50

I bet you feel retarded now that the blackberry has been release at close to $200 AFTER THE REBATE!!! LOL,. So much for your financial analysis...

posted on 04 Nov 2008, 07:04

6. vzw fanboy (unregistered)

i would also be suprised if this phone was under $200. i payed 250! for the voyager back in january, thats crazy. since movie stars dont care about money, do you think they all have verizon, jw?

posted on 04 Nov 2008, 18:00

The real difference is with the blackberry you need a data plan, with they voyager you didn't need a data. So with the blackberry verizon knows they're getting their money back through the data plan for the cheap phone.

posted on 05 Nov 2008, 15:44

61. VZ tech (unregistered)

correctomundo...

posted on 06 Nov 2008, 08:38

Precisely -- there's no garaunteed data revenue for VZW with the Voyager.

posted on 04 Nov 2008, 07:32

I've been telling my customers that I would be surprised if the Storm sold for under $200.

posted on 04 Nov 2008, 10:16

Maybe you shouldn't do that.

posted on 05 Nov 2008, 21:22

You, my friend, should consider being a seasonal greeter for Verizon instead of a salesman b/c you clearly lack salesmanship. Just saying...

posted on 06 Nov 2008, 08:39

As a sales rep, I'd advise you to shy away from giving customers that impression -- if it does come out above $200, they'll be a lot more upset than they would otherwise. Let them be surprised at how *low* it is.

posted on 04 Nov 2008, 07:54

Stupid Verizon taking WiFi out of this and the Omnia........ Oh well, just bought a Bold from AT&T's website, have fun with your crippled phones sucker VZ fanboys. Glad I left them now.

posted on 04 Nov 2008, 08:19

omnia has WiFi

posted on 04 Nov 2008, 08:21

Why get a phone to have the limited capability to wi-fi hot spots? Take your Bold and stick it where the Sun doesn't shine! Big Red has been and will continue to controll the Blackberry sales compared to any other company.

posted on 04 Nov 2008, 08:23

you only need wifi when your cell coverage blows like AT&Ts does. When your coverage is as good as verizon you dont need wifi. Besides why would you want to use wifi when its unsecure!!! You people are just dumb! ( and i know your gonna say wifi speed is so fast, but please!)

posted on 04 Nov 2008, 11:16

WiFi unsecure?...that's funny mine is encyped using WPA along with just about ever other house I go to so maybe you should read up before you call people dumbasses when you are one your self. Not to metion WPA2 which there are no know weaknesses. Also why will the Omnia have WiFi is VZW is so great you don't need WiFi? Why is VZW launching its own Ubicell device if they are no coverage issues. No to metion all carriers have a 5 gig cap so I can use WiFi instead of cellular data if you get close to the cap. Lord knows you don't want to go over the 5 gig cap with VZW at $0.49 per MB over meaning an extrac gig will only cost you $501.76.

posted on 04 Nov 2008, 11:35

Verizon gets 0, count it, 0 bars inside my house. If I want to make a call, I have to go outside, and even then, it's spotty at best. Plus, why do I use WiFi? Because I travel overseas a lot, and instead of paying big $$ for internationl data, I can just use WiFi. Typical Verizon fanboy. You're in no position to be calling people dumb.

posted on 04 Nov 2008, 11:42

35. vzw fanboy (unregistered)

so why do you have verizon if you get limited coverage? all i say is verizon has the best coverage on average. there is a difference between having zero bars and searching service. which one does it say while your in ur house?

posted on 04 Nov 2008, 12:28

ill have a contest with you. you take your $400 black curve... uhh. bold... and ill take the storm at any price. we will go out to the countryside and compare coverage. I'll even let you spend 5 hrs finding a "hot spot" so your bold works. Then u can tell me all about how you love hotspots and spotty coverage, while I surf the web on VZW's tremendous data network that has no use for WiFi.

posted on 04 Nov 2008, 19:20

Because I moved, and Verizon wouldn't let me out of contract even though I didn't get service at my house, Verizon claims that I should.

posted on 05 Nov 2008, 08:47

Now there is that great Customer Service JD Power and all the tools rave about. Do you get service outside your house though? If not I would file a complant with the FCC for false coverage maps. Also if you have the contract you signed see if there is a clause regarding moving to an area where serivce is not availible. I know some of the other carriers will allow you to cancel service and not charge you the ETF.

posted on 05 Nov 2008, 09:18

58. marc (unregistered)

The 5gb cap is only on data cards and the tether feature, the $29.99 and $44.99 data feature for a blackberry, pda or smartphone is unlimited data. Again 5gb cap is only on data cards and tether feature.

posted on 05 Nov 2008, 15:58

yet your dumb for saying that you get no service in your home. so everyone in the U.S. lives and works at your home? Verizon will probably not put up a tower so you can get coverage at your home just because of your comment. now that would be hilarious!

posted on 05 Nov 2008, 21:30

The need for Wi-Fi is a back up plan if the data network on VZW goes down. Or if for some strange reason that your monthly 5GB usage is close to being exhausted (somehow). First of all none of the cellular networks are full proof. But if you have to solely rely on Wi-Fi as your first option your network sucks. I prefer my VZW Rev. A over Wi-Fi any day homie. Maybe if you don't have Verizon you do have to go with Wi-Fi but I'm the single customer out of millions of Verizon customers that has good service, sorry. I played with the iPhone in Chicago, downtown at that and the connection speeds were pathetic. AT&T might want to consider partnering with Comcast or Time Warner. Their connection speeds are in serious need of a healing.

posted on 05 Nov 2008, 21:35

If you travel overseas a lot why would you go with a CDMA carrier instead of GSM? Oh...let me guess, because you liked the phone. That's the first mistake. Then you claim you have to go outside to use your phone? Then why don't you just cancel. The ETF is only $175. That's a lot cheaper than continuing to pay the monthly bill even if you were on the lowest plan and was only under contract for 6 months. Some people man...just love to complain about nothing. I agree with the other guy...you're not a very smart individual.

posted on 05 Nov 2008, 21:43

Newsflash homie. It's a signed contract. Its not the fault of a person who moves into a house with no coverage, but also it's not the fault of the carrier if the customer moves into a house with no coverage. Nobody held a gun to this guy's head and told him to sign up. Signing a contract says that you choose to deal with those kind of circumstances or pay the fee break the contract. After all a cell phone is a luxury, not a necessity.

posted on 05 Nov 2008, 21:47

I think we should petition for this guy to get a tower built right in his living room with his name engraved on it. Verizon probably realizes how stupid you are as a customer and that's why they won't let you out of the contract. Ever thought of that?

posted on 06 Nov 2008, 08:41

That's true. However, the 5gb cap means that you can use your phone at its maximum potential w/out being slowed down by some douchebag pirating Iron Man from Limewire with a broadband card. However, the cap is only for tethered access or broadband cards. There is no cap for handset internet service (but if you can manage to go over 5GB, you need to get a life.)

posted on 06 Nov 2008, 11:11

80. ME (unregistered)

hey im illegally tethering on verizons network with my voyager! i still have to pay the 15 dollars a month but its cool to use the voyagers internet on my laptop. can blackberries do this illegally? and its weird everytime i connect i have a different ipadress. does nayone know why?

posted on 06 Nov 2008, 22:35

The storm is a world phone capable of GSM systems in other countries.

posted on 26 Nov 2008, 20:54

What in the world are you using a gig of data on your CELL PHONE a month for?? WOW! Does your phone even work after that kind of use?

posted on 04 Nov 2008, 08:12

i thought it would be like 250$ then, then go down in a few months to 200$ . hmm. im not sure if thats right