Sony Xperia Z1 to launch in India on September 18th; interchangeable lens to be called EspressOn?
The phone is expected to be priced at 50,000 Rupees ($754 USD). The unit will focus on the rear camera with a 20.7MP sensor, Carl Zeiss optics and a Sony G lens. The latter two parts are what Sony uses for its point and shoot cameras, so you can expect exceptional photographs to be taken by the phone. Additionally, the camera will use Sony’s BIONZ image processing engine and it is expected to be the first phone to be able to shoot video at 4K resolutions. The device will also offer an augmented reality app called Info-eye that will be similar to Nokia's CityLens.
And remember those interchangeable lens we saw for iOS and Android? The magnetic mounted lens will be called EspressOn and are expected to also be unveiled on September 4th. One model is called the DSC-QX100 and it offers the same 20.2-megapixel sensor, f/1.8 aperture and 3.6x optical zoom as the RX-100 II point and shoot camera. The other EspressOn, the DSC-QX10, will be a cheaper model that includes an 18-megapixel CMOS sensor and an f/3.5-3.9 lens. Both models will have a power button, microphone and a display showing battery strength and SD Card status. The two lens will also have a tripod mount and shutter button. The DSC-QX100 will come with ring controls.
Sony Xperia Z1 and EspressOn Lens Fullscreen
More popular slideshows
iOS 7 release date and time are today (Sep 18), get ready to update!
18 Sep 2013, 04:00
Spring chickens: Samsung Galaxy S5 vs Sony Xperia Z2 comparison preview
26 Feb 2014, 09:37
Samsung Galaxy S5 rumor round-up: release date, price and specs
12 Feb 2014, 08:58
Samsung Galaxy S5: all you need to know
24 Feb 2014, 17:06
All new leaked pictures and benchmarks of the all new HTC One
05 Mar 2014, 04:23
Sony Xperia Z1 and EspressOn Lens
source: BGR (1), (2)
6. Lyngdoh (Posts: 199; Member since: 06 Sep 2012)
According to source 50000 Rs is the estimated price. You cannot blame Sony for the price tag, Its probably due to depreciating Rupee/$ value.
12. LetsBeHonest (Posts: 536; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
True. But phones are pretty costly in India and there is no contract system. We have to pay the full price of the phone . Its sad
15. Lyngdoh (Posts: 199; Member since: 06 Sep 2012)
I hope they'll price it in 40K range. I was surprise when they price XZ for 38K on release when I expect it to be 43K. I really hope that Sony will surprise me again with the price. I have only 40K for this phone But the depreciating Rupee really bothers me.
21. emadshiny (Posts: 981; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
Dont worry! Sony's prices fall faster than other brands.
22. sapibuntinx (Posts: 49; Member since: 08 May 2013)
lol... gotta to agree with this, the only thing they are good at is increasing their useless bezel...
26. pwnarena (Posts: 573; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
that's something loyal sony fans should be sad about. loyal fans buy the products as soon as they're available. a few months later, prices fall and they realize they've just been had.
30. garyyad (Posts: 10; Member since: 22 May 2012)
the emi options are way better than contract.
8. pwnarena (Posts: 573; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
i really hope that's not the price. compare that to the lg g2 which can be pre-ordered below $600. i believe in sony quality and premium-ness but if they want to capture some market share, they have to be willing to play some price wars first. samsung became what it is now because it marketed itself as the less expensive alternative. see how they won the television market now. they started selling less expensive sets when they were still playing catch up but now their TVs are already more expensive than sony.
sony should try luring more buyers to try their products first by offering lower prices. they can adjust later once they already have enough market share.
31. ashdch99 (Posts: 14; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
Seeing value of rupee falling quickly, its going to get priced even higher than that at first... but that simply isnt going to stop people from buying... even me.... :)
2. james004 (limited) (Posts: 410; Member since: 15 May 2013)
we know the specs, we know how it looks like, we know the launch date. what we need is the date it will be released to public to buy.
3. LetsBeHonest (Posts: 536; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
50000 rs??? I probably have to put my house as pledge/pawn !!!
but i love the phone though
17. htc_evo_3d (Posts: 84; Member since: 11 Mar 2013)
let us buy a good DSLR cam at this price . lol :)
4. wicpromd (Posts: 257; Member since: 20 Aug 2013)
PA did sony official told you about date and this Price??
or just playing simple tricks???
10. Lyngdoh (Posts: 199; Member since: 06 Sep 2012)
You definitely need to read the source article before you start pointing fingers.
5. SonyPS4 (Posts: 196; Member since: 21 May 2013)
GREAT. Sony need to speed up distribution WORLDWIDE to compete with Samsung/Apple.
23. sapibuntinx (Posts: 49; Member since: 08 May 2013)
they need to distribute their bezels, lol...
7. aayupanday (Posts: 287; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
Sony is definitely considering India as a prime market for its Smartphones and Tablets.
We were the first to receive the Xperia Z Ultra and now it seems we're gonna get the Xperia Z1 within a few weeks as well..
Great Job Sony!
9. Satnamreg (Posts: 28; Member since: 23 Aug 2013)
I'd say it's a decent price for this quality.
13. Hassan420i (Posts: 20; Member since: 23 Jun 2013)
the popularity of Sony Xperia phones is much greater than the other phones in India, with this factor and the size of population in India, Sony chose the right place to make profit :D
14. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
What does xperia Z doing on the photoviewer?
16. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 1872; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Not New Dehli, it's New Delhi.
Sounds good that Sony is launching it in India first, but but but see the price 50,000 Rupees ($ 754) which is very costly. I think they should price it around 35K to 40K Rupees ($ 530 - $600) which would be good to outsell. Bothering about depreciating Rupee value. :(
19. ARITRA (Posts: 38; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
NOTE 3 VS HONAMI/ULTRA VS HTC ONE MAXX HUHUHAHAHAHA!
20. philansel7 (Posts: 27; Member since: 14 Aug 2013)
in this picture the bezels are not that huge compare to the leaked pictures i've seem lately !! love this one !
25. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 1872; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
If you are looking at first picture then it's of Xperia Z, the Z1 is in second pic having camera with G lens and at top LHS.
27. mecool (Posts: 5; Member since: 13 Aug 2013)
if the price is between 40000 - 45000 it will help sony...
if it is 50000 that will be a great mistake by sony....
29. mottykels (Posts: 361; Member since: 15 May 2013)
Sony has always the highest price. That is why i hate sony much
28. cyborg009 (Posts: 78; Member since: 17 Sep 2011)
I came to this thread to write "take my money" but after looking at that 50k price tag i don't think so I can.. I'll just buy the 20MP interchangeable lens and be happy with my Xperia S :)