Samsung and Motorola defeat Apple touch patent in Germany
The Apple patent in question, EP2098948, covers a "touch event model” for interpreting user input. The patent is much broader than the pinch-to-zoom patent that Apple has been asserting in the U.S., and that appears to have been its downfall. The German Court refused to apply the patent as broadly as Apple claimed it should extend, and so based on differences in how touch input is calculated in iOS and Android ruled that neither Samsung nor Motorola infringed.
This same patent has also lost in the UK and the Netherlands, so Apple may need to retire this one as they continue on their nuclear warpath against Android. That said, Apple is equipped with lots of patents and a never-ending supply of cash, so if you’re looking for an end to the ongoing mobile patent wars your best bet is holding out hope that Larry Page and Tim Cook manage to hammer out an agreement of some sort.
source: FOSS Patents
1. abdane (Posts: 448; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
Samsung and Google ( Motorola ) can defeat apple easily ;)
21. PapaSmurf (Posts: 4138; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I don't think that patent can get any broader. Touch event model? Seriously?
28. tedkord (Posts: 3388; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Apparently, a tap isn't really a zero length swipe...
Seriously, this is fantastic news. These over broad, silly Apple patents need to be obliterated.
30. Sackboy117 (Posts: 178; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Unacceptable in the United States u mean.
31. joey_sfb (Posts: 1473; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Apple is the biggest patent troll globally known.
40. Vinayakn73 (Posts: 87; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
yeh and still some sites try to support apples. you know what iMean
35. XPERIA-KNIGHT (Posts: 2375; Member since: 08 Aug 2012)
^take a good look people because this is really the mindset of some ifans and the apple corporation as well.......if they do not win, someone has to pay.......(not physically)
in response to post #11
38. Danre (Posts: 85; Member since: 02 Sep 2012)
I think you said you don't like(hate) infringes.
So, what now. You don,t accept it.
I think - this condition is not applied with Apple.
34. JC557 (Posts: 628; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
Andy the Android: Apple can bite my shiny metal a$$!
3. DechyX (Posts: 109; Member since: 16 May 2011)
I wish Apple would go sit the f- down, how can a company with so much power and influence be so insecure
7. Carlitos (Posts: 211; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
Its just apple is being lazy. Look at smaller companies like HTC, Motorola (Google) and Samsung do, always trying to bring out the best. I remember when Apple used to be the one setting the standards and raising the bars, but unfortunaly now that the master mind is gone (RIP) Apple is just being a d**k
26. jacko1977 (Posts: 330; Member since: 11 Feb 2012)
master mind really he was a good sales man that is all and a thief
6. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 5166; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
BOUT FCKING TIME DAMN. SLIDE TO UNLOCKED is a useless patent
8. Slammer (Posts: 672; Member since: 03 Jun 2010)
Proof that the patent system is in chaos. A patent is a patent. Topography shouldn't be an excuse for inconsistant laws regarding patents. If someone or company patents something here in the states, it should be considered world wide or Visa Versa. This meaning that the patent is sustained to the rightful owner. It boggles the mind that one country says it doesn't infringe while others say it does. It's insane that different countries do and don't recognize patents of respective IPs.
19. rusticguy (Posts: 2696; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Actually no. Every country is free to have their own rules and regulations. if it has to be made universal then the IP stuff has to go through something like WTO and there should be a provision to Challenge the application before granting patent rather than wasting time on prior art later as it is happening in this case. Otherwise Ricehill Inc was granted patent/trademark on TEXAMATI rice only to ensure killing of Basmati. Uncle Sam is upto dirty tricks many times so wy should every country be forced into accepting those Dirty games/tricks :)
Many countries patens can be annulled in public interest.
24. -box- (Posts: 3470; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
That would be a very difficult system to implement without a lot of funding and computer programming, because patents would have to be submitted to an grand authority that would determine whether or not WORLDWIDE the patent is valid. That would take years or decades, without a good system in place, and even then it would take a while
9. antmiu2 (Posts: 149; Member since: 19 Jun 2011)
10. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 2434; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
So Germany will allow companies infringe on others patents?
32. willard12 (Posts: 369; Member since: 04 Jul 2012)
Hopefully Germany doesn't allow companies to infringe on LTE patents.
36. Savage (Posts: 431; Member since: 28 Jul 2012)
Every country is throwing out Apple's pathetic cases! Except USA. What do you think, US is the most sensible of them all? Other countries are completely stupid not to support Apple? Which world do you live in?
13. gallitoking (Posts: 4571; Member since: 17 May 2011)
is not how it goes down. is how they get up and recover..
39. gallitoking (Posts: 4571; Member since: 17 May 2011)
yes I am and happy about.. don't mean to be rude but why is condition any of your business...
43. Sniggly (Posts: 6193; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Because you used to not act like a dumbass for giggles?
14. sarb009 (Posts: 250; Member since: 15 Jun 2011)
for some reason i dont eat apples any more
25. -box- (Posts: 3470; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
I dunno, makes me want to eat them then use the cores for target or batting practice. Also fun with tennis/squash/croquet rackets.
15. lyndon420 (Posts: 1358; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
Go Android. If only all the OEM's would band together against apple.
22. rusticguy (Posts: 2696; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
So doesn't this prove that Apple is having undue Home Advantage ? Through these patent wars they are just trying desperately not to be another RIM 5 years down the line. It doesn't take longt time to fall. Nokia and RIM are glaring examples.
33. Jodabro (Posts: 35; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
Apple is on this patent warpath, because Jobs was sore about loosing the IBM/Microsoft war back in the 80's. So this time around he tried to get patents on everything iProduct and the tech behind them. In the long run I see lawyers getting richer, and apple losing again. Simply out numbered because they can cut off one arm(Hardware Manufacture) and another one will grow in its place. Whether it be windows, android, or blackberry. Google (Larry Page) would be smart to just let this play out.
37. skymitch89 (Posts: 924; Member since: 05 Nov 2010)
If there should be any kind of lawsuits between Apple and Android device manufacturers, it should be Google suing Apple for stealing the notification pull-down. It was Android that came out with that idea and after like 2 years Apple took it.
42. rcwfox2002 (Posts: 41; Member since: 20 Dec 2011)
These courts need to make Apple post 5% of their income for each lawsuit they bring to court. They are wasting the peoples (court) time with these lawsuits. You don't see Ford going around suing every car manufacture. On the other hand, Apple didn't even start the smart phone era Blackberry and Palm and I think even Nokia had something. Nonetheless, this is getting out of control personally I think Google, Motorola, HTC, LG, Samsung should start a consortium LLC put all their patents in and sue apple collectively instead of by themselves then they can go Nuclear on Apple and have a Great chance on banning the Iphone.
44. xfire99 (Posts: 260; Member since: 14 Mar 2012)
A defeat for Apple is a win for the humanity!