Poll: Would you prefer an HTC One (M8) running Android, or Windows Phone 8.1?
HTC might announce the "One (M8) for Windows" later this month, on August 19. The handset will probably not be exclusive to Verizon, and should be released in Europe, too.
The One (M8) that runs Android currently costs around $600 off-contract. We are expecting the Windows Phone 8.1 model to have a similar price, and we’re curious to know which of the two One (M8) variants appeal most to our readers. Is the openness of Google's Android perfect for the device, or is the Microsoft-flavored tile-based interface a better match for it? Cast your votes below!
- Which of the two HTC smartphones do you think is better?
2584 votes (2584 votes) One (M8) with Android
3156 votes (3156 votes) One (M8) with Windows Phone
110. The-Sailor-Man (banned) (Posts: 1095; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
This M8 tin can brick POS, can not sell with Android , but what about with WP ? LOL
Only Apple can sell such BS. With their logo on it.
By the way, why tech media every day think about M8?
Because Apple and HTC made a contract???
142. pulkit1 (Posts: 327; Member since: 03 Jul 2014)
i knew i find you here .You always have to sh*t over HTC article. I don't know how can you compare beauty like M8 to plastic Dustbin like s5. Grow up get a life .
149. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8843; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I actually prefer the S5 in the hand over the M8. Easier to hold and never had a fear of the S5 dropping like I have with my M8.
Plastic dustbin is succeeding btw.
151. pulkit1 (Posts: 327; Member since: 03 Jul 2014)
lol. i am sorry i had to stoop to his level i don't have any thing against plastic phones or s5 i just hate when he refers m8 as tin can . I know plastic is more comfortable to hold but the feel of metal almost justifies the high cost of todays flagships . And if something is selling well doesn't really mean it is the best , it just means samsung did a better job at marketing it.
161. buccob (Posts: 1548; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
My coworker recently crack her S5 after her second drop...
I wouldn't know how the M8 fares there... but I have to say that I do love the ASF and the drop resistance on my current phone...
138. fanboy1974 (Posts: 1280; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
I was also thinking ios only for the boom sound, ir blaster, SD card, USB port and full HD resolution. Oh forget it; Android is better than ios anyway.
5. Doakie (Posts: 1306; Member since: 06 May 2009)
You can vote neither, just head on over to the next article. Magic!
111. The-Sailor-Man (banned) (Posts: 1095; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
And why do you vote? Can you tell us?
You know that not voting is also vote? If no one vote those stupid polls PA will stop them. And will no more manipulate ppl with the "results(lol)". Right?
117. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3561; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
I guess it's for those who really like everything about the M8 hardware... If so, then it's just up to your choice of OS. which should be a easy choice for most people who visit sites like this...
It's actually a dumb poll because all its states is the obvious... People who prefer Android will most likely choose Android & people who choose WP will choose WP... Wow! .. What a concept!
3. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 894; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Really hope this will be used by the xda community to create a dual boot Android/WP system for the M8.
52. Liveitup (Posts: 1511; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
Yeah that is true I really wish more dual boot devices existed, it would for one cut away all the lies give the user a first a chance to see which OS is best for them.
126. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Great I would really love that to.
119. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3561; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
12GB just for the OS!!!!!!!! Yep! Thank god for 128gb SD cards..
153. OccupyAJob (Posts: 7; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
What OS? Neither of these OS' are 12GB. You appear to be ignorant or in the wrong forum.
162. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3561; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
We're talking about dual boot here... You do the math, Einstein..
160. Someguy316 (Posts: 2; Member since: 30 Jul 2014)
Hmm, I never thought about this but it would be amazing if possible. I really enjoyed using the temp Lumia 521 I used before I got my One M8.
4. Furbal (Posts: 389; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
Dual boot =/ already converted my m8 to the gpe. Need moreeeee options
6. Neo_Huang (Posts: 564; Member since: 06 Dec 2013)
I didn't expect so many votes for Windows Phone.
10. Martin_Cooper (Posts: 575; Member since: 30 Jul 2013)
Its tech geeks, most of people dont know WP8, dont care and dont want it. WP8 market share fell like 2% in last year. Now its at 2.7%, Thats just laughable.
11. Finalflash (Posts: 1881; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
It isn't even the tech geeks, its a very new generation of MS fans who grew up with the Xbox and the like. Most geeks older than about 20 right now don't favor MS having lived with their insanely bad OSes for so long.
12. billgates (banned) (Posts: 555; Member since: 29 May 2014)
I disagree completely. I'm much older than that and still prefer Microsoft os. You have to remember that you nor I can speak as the embassidor for a whole generation
15. Martin_Cooper (Posts: 575; Member since: 30 Jul 2013)
Doesnt matter what you or I preffer. 99% of people dont prefer WP8. And it shows, 2% down in a year and its now ONLY at 2.7% market share.. That shows that the poll up there does not represent anything than just a tiny bit of tech geeks.
49. Liveitup (Posts: 1511; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
That is incorrect, that is in relation to sales in quarter second, not Windows Phone overall marketshare, don't deceive people. WP is still around 5% marketshare and growing.
58. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3607; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Yeah growing from 3.8% to 2.7%. Truly Exceptional.
62. Liveitup (Posts: 1511; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
Android has fallen from quarter to quarter before, Apple, Samsung, HTC, etc have fallen from quarter to quarter in the past its not that unusual as , you don't always have to make a mountain out of a molehill. Relax.
73. Awalker (Posts: 543; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
How did you come to the conclusion that WP market share is 5%.
95. Fellwalker (Posts: 64; Member since: 04 Apr 2014)
99% don't but 2.7% do. Where did you learn your maths?
26. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3607; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
You prefer "microsoft os", yet you use android flagships. Get real "papss".
114. cc3493 (Posts: 155; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
What you like and what you prefer are different things StraightEdgeNexus, he may like and prefer WP but does not want to buy a WP device right now, maybe due to the lack of support, or the less populated app store compared to android or ios, or maybe that he doesnt like the design of the WP right now. That doesnt necessarily mean that he doesnt like WP. Buying a phone is more than just buying the "OS" its also about the looks, design and support of the hardware running that system.
14. Martin_Cooper (Posts: 575; Member since: 30 Jul 2013)
I love windows, and many things from MS, tried WP8 on 1520 and it featureless as f**k. If I want speed, smoothness I just go iOS which has unbeatable app store too. MS fu***ed up well WP8 by puting out slow updates. 8.1 Should have been out last year.
24. 0xFFFF (Posts: 3649; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
Moribund monopolies usually make anything good. There is no need to, no driving force.
Microsoft used to be motivated by the relentless drive of Bill Gates to screw over everyone so he could be the richest man in Forbes magazine.
Now who do they have? Some cloud guy who probably doesn't give a f**k about mobile. And Elop, aka "The Hatchet". There's no executives at Microsoft who want to do anything but play "game of thrones" for better executive positions.
57. Liveitup (Posts: 1511; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
What features are you missing? myself find Android is an OS that requires you to babysit, I want something that just works WP is that OS , WP OS is more natural and intuitive that is partly way the whole world have shifted to Windows based UI design, Apps and WP is not a problem as many make it out to be just about every major app is there, I don't need 1,0000 flashlight apps besides LiveTiles are cool as hell makes Icons on iOS and Android and Widgets feel old and clumsy by comparisons, HTC one is Tiled based they know that Tiles are genius. To each his own not everyone wants Android or iOS.
75. Awalker (Posts: 543; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
Nobody wants the so called live tiles except for you and it's the reason why Windows phone will never succeed.
77. Liveitup (Posts: 1511; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
Over 50 million loves live tiles on WP. So do millions of HTC one users.
86. Awalker (Posts: 543; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
No they don't. They bought the device and quickly gave up on it. Look at the latest numbers. Consumers detest Windows phone.
105. Liveitup (Posts: 1511; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
You are an idiot, look at what numbers WP shipped 8 million last quarter, thats roughly around what it usually ships per quarter ,its quarterly number, even Samsung fell last quarter.
123. Awalker (Posts: 543; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
That's just more people who will dump the phone in a couple of months for a better OS.
40. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 1458; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
So, those who grew up with the Playstations, they must be a fan of Sony!
46. Liveitup (Posts: 1511; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
That insanely bad OS inspired Android iOS and the world in general to use Flat UI, so I guess it isn't bad in reality its great.
124. Glim12808 (Posts: 393; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
@Finalflash I don't own any Xbox console but I still like WP8.1 so I voted for it... but thanks for speaking for all of us over 20.
39. brrunopt (Posts: 545; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
It fell 1.1% , not 2%
And its mainly because the lack of new devices , just like the drop on iOS marketshare over time until the release of a new iphone..
44. sgodsell (Posts: 1406; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
Its not because the lack of new devices. Its a number of things. Being ridged and locked in again. Small ecosystem compared to Android and iOS. Its still catching up to Android and that's even the latest WP8.1. Its certainly isn't the lack of devices.
47. brrunopt (Posts: 545; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
we will see if lack of new devices is the reason or not in Q4 2014
"Being ridged and locked in again. "
" Small ecosystem compared to Android and iOS."
Yes there are some apps missing but please dont compare total app count, i dont need 50k flashlight apps or 4y old apps
56. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3607; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Then what about those thousands of fake apps developed by a single developer?
64. Liveitup (Posts: 1511; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
We keep hearing about Android and iOS have over 1 million apps, yes in numbers they do but a whole lot of those apps are duplicates and a lot of them are dead a lot of them are farts. its not a million useful apps that is not the case.
The truth the majority of the most popular and used apps on Android and iOS are on WP.
Here is commercial that's shows this.
People and tech editors should really examine that 1 million plus apps claim cause its not what it seems.
48. Liveitup (Posts: 1511; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
WP is as flexible as stock Android, Android is playing catch up to WP aesthetically, Android L and Material design is all about aesthetics, the irony is you are hating on the same thing that inspired Android and material design, personally to me Android looks like a copy of WP UI especially on the light theme ( white background) simple clean minimalistic with a dash of color on the white background. Android is already dominant why do you guys always feel you have to bash what is not Android, let choice reign, do you guys really want Android to be on 100% of devices cause its getting there , be careful what you wish for.
54. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3607; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Again fake BS. Stfu fakeitup. Saying wp is flexible as android makes me question about your mental health.
And android looks much more beautiful than your WP garbage tiles.
61. Liveitup (Posts: 1511; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
If you are going to criticize someone at least do it properly, what is fake act like an adult give us details.
Beautiful and Android is not a word that goes together you know this others here know this. Androiud L and Material design is an attempt to clean up on this and they are mimicking Windows light theme design, Sure Icons looks better than Tiles according to you. kids will be kids.
66. ihavenoname (Posts: 1507; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
Android is "catching up" WP?! WP has never been ahead of Android in ANY thing except smoothness in low-end devices and amount of malware. And design, iOS and Android both look better than WP. Microsoft itself is copying features from Android, like notification center and separate volume controls, WP 8.1 is basicly just earlier version of Android with ugly launcher and ugly font paired with crappy app store.
71. Liveitup (Posts: 1511; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
WP has been ahead of Android in terms of aesthetics, it is the better looking OS, Android L is an aesthetic update to catch up to WP in that regard. Android copied features like the WP 3 dot menu, Full album art lockscreen etc amongst other features, WM had notification before Android.
87. reebs81 (Posts: 2; Member since: 02 Aug 2014)
Your comment made me create an account just to tell you to grow up. I bet you're not older than 16 whose father just bought him a phone that happened to be an Nexus.
106. Liveitup (Posts: 1511; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
So you are denying that Android L is an aesthetic update?, denial is an ugly thing. You shouldn't have created an account to spew nonsense.
81. Liveitup (Posts: 1511; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
I said WP is as flexible as stock Android, why don't you read properly or get hooked on phonics.
120. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3561; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
It's not at 2%... Really?... It's still around 5%... That article was for phones sold that quarter.. It was a quarterly result... IOW, WP market share dipped about 2% in sales for quarter 2,, most likely because no new devices were released... Everyone knows that WP has its strongest quarters in the second half of the year... It's nothing to get excited about... It's back to the slow, but steady, rise of WP market share.... The real test is where WP sits on January 1st 2015... Probably about 5.5%.. Nothing special, but nevertheless progress rather decline, and that's all MS needs in order to keep going..... Don't worry, it'll come along,, eventually... Lol!!!!