Motorola Moto G now official: a low-priced Android smartphone that is actually good
Given its low price point, it comes as no surprise that the Motorola Moto G is made of plastic. But at the same time, we can't describe the handset as boring or inferior to the competition. It has adopted many of the design cues we know from the Moto X, such as the curved back that makes the handset easy to hold. Furthermore, we're pleased to report that the Moto G has been treated to a water-repelling nanocoating, protecting it from both outside and inside.
The Motorola Moto G
1. tech2 (Posts: 2452; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
You might wanna update your phone's spec list battery from 1950 to 2070 mah, PA
27. akki20892 (Posts: 3653; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
I hope this device give some good sells to moto.
46. Magneto (Posts: 2; Member since: 20 Jul 2013)
It's doing really well in many countries. In India the dual SIM version sold out really quick (15 minutes). Anyhow, now that Motorola belongs to Lenovo, we might have to wait to see what happen with the brand.
2. pokharkarsaga (Posts: 365; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
Nokia Lumia 520 killer.This phone is going to break the records of high end galaxy phones.thanks moto
6. bon24x7 (Posts: 205; Member since: 30 Aug 2012)
Lumia 520 is still cheaper by around $30 for the 8GB version but for the price Moto G seems to be really worth it. Better than any Samsung, Sony, HTC or LG in the same price category by miles.
Planning to get one when it launches in Jan 2014. Go Moto..! :)
35. ghaniosman (Posts: 64; Member since: 06 Jun 2013)
Don't even compare an android phone with a Windows phones in any aspect..
38. ihavenoname (Posts: 1521; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
Cheap smartphones: Moto G>>>>>>>>520>others
13. PBXtech (Posts: 983; Member since: 21 Oct 2013)
When i was reading the article above, first thought that came to mind is Motorola is stepping out to do what Nokia did years ago, deliver great phones for very affordable prices. With Google's backing, they have a bright future ahead of them with this approach.
14. iyngr (Posts: 66; Member since: 14 Jul 2013)
Has it got Touchless Controls like Moto x? Then I'm in.
25. Dr.Phil (Posts: 931; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
Possibly, but the Lumia 520 costs only $100 with no contract for those on AT&T and T-Mobile. With that being said, I do believe this is a great low-end handset with a great price.
45. Snoobab (Posts: 174; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
It all depends on build-quality. We know Nokia's are built like tanks :)
3. Looser99 (Posts: 56; Member since: 10 Nov 2013)
I don't get it ! In gsmarena it says 5 mp camera and here in moto g specs page it says 8 mp camera ! Also in gsmarena it says 1.2 GHz quad core but here in specs page it says 1.5 GHz quad core ! Um puzzled... Who's right and who's wrong ?
8. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3024; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Better believe the live stream and PA...i assume GSMarena's spec sheet was made up of the rumors that flew before it was released. They'll update it soon, hopefully.
22. Looser99 (Posts: 56; Member since: 10 Nov 2013)
I think PA's spec list was incorrect according to official specs found at motorola.com ! Sorry can't post links as i am new here :(
9. NexusPhan (Posts: 541; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
Scroll to the bottom for official specs.
4. 007akshay (Posts: 37; Member since: 20 Jun 2012)
if it releases in india then i can think about buying it to my GF rather than IPHONE"CHEAP"
10. aditya.k (Posts: 482; Member since: 10 Mar 2013)
Jan release. It was said in the Live Stream! You can expect the price around 15k! :)
11. bon24x7 (Posts: 205; Member since: 30 Aug 2012)
It might cost 15k for the 8gb version by the time it hits Indian market.. :(
15. aditya.k (Posts: 482; Member since: 10 Mar 2013)
I would say for the 16GB version it would be 15k but let's wait and see! :)
5. AfterShock (Posts: 2971; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
Sweet price point, make a great back up phone.
12. aditya.k (Posts: 482; Member since: 10 Mar 2013)
Such an amazing product at an amazing price and all you say is "Not bad"? You get so excited when Apple launches something! :( Why you do this darkkedii.! :(
31. stealthd (Posts: 980; Member since: 12 Jun 2011)
It's not amazing is why. It's a mid-low end phone. It is a solid phone for the price, and it's nice to see HD displays arrive on such cheap phones, but it's not doing anything special or new.
18. taikucing (unregistered)
Not bad? THIS IS A VERY GOOD PHONE FOR THAT PRICE.
Show me if Apple can make a phone with HD display & quad core CPU for $179!
*cough* samsung galaxy core with sh*tty WVGA TFT display costs $250 *cough*
39. ihavenoname (Posts: 1521; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
Darkkjedii just expressed it in a classy way, not like: OMG! OMG! so cheap! OMG! what an awwwwwwesome specs! OMG!
36. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4108; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
No joke. A HD screen with a high pixel density, decent processor, and mostly stock Android with very fast updates for less than $200 off contract? I would probably keep it as a back up phone if I wasn't on Verizon.
16. AppleHateBoy (unregistered)
The SoC consists of four Cortex A7s clocked at 1.2 GHz and an Adreno 305 GPU. This SoC appears to be much better than the Mediatek junk.
I wish I had waited and bought this instead of the Xperia L.
40. ihavenoname (Posts: 1521; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
I had the same feeling with my S4 Mini when the Nexus 5 came out. Just remember: it's still the awesome phone what made you want to buy it back then.
17. Deadeye37 (Posts: 83; Member since: 25 Jan 2011)
Looks like a sweet cheap phone. Definately going to get this for my wife when her Sony flip phone finally dies (It's been going for 4 years now, so who knows).
I didn't see any mention of a microSD slot, which makes me sad. 16 GB isn't enough space to store media on your phone with.
19. bon24x7 (Posts: 205; Member since: 30 Aug 2012)
There's no micro SD slot, heard there's some 65GB of Free cloud storage that comes with the device.
20. Augustine (Posts: 800; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
I like cheap phones. I myself had a couple and found out that they make excellent gifts. So I always pay attention at a good value.
The connectivity however is not what I'd expect from a new phone. Lacking LTE in this day and age is something that's abhorrent, intolerable in a year or so. Yet, it sports only 21Mbps HSDPA+ instead of 42Mbps to make up for the lack of LTE. At this point, it also misses the 1700MHz AWS UMTS band, so it falls short of being a world phone.
Overall, it seems to be a good offering in its price range. A few nits, but it still seems to be a good gift phone.
24. jroc74 (Posts: 5192; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
They had me at FM Radio.....naw they had me at the price!!! I do miss my FM radio tho, glad to see Moto bringing it back.
26. Sniggly (Posts: 7182; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
So basically this is an even lower cost Nexus. Good for Motorola. I approve of this phone.
It certainly beats the pants off of any prepaid available device we sell at Best Buy for that amount of money.
28. Nayabandaa (Posts: 29; Member since: 15 Mar 2013)
Hello iphonearena. This phone is 10000 times better than iphone 5c and all you say is, not bad. Oh please. I used iphone 5c because that too is all plastic minus the awesome price.
29. fanboy1974 (Posts: 1291; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
We can safely say that the iPod touch is close to death. Why buy that when you can have this as a media player that’s faster, bigger screen, cheaper and has phone capability with GPS?
I believe Google/Motorola has found the winning formula to beat Apple and that’s price. Apple is not interested coming down this low with their phones or media devices.
41. ihavenoname (Posts: 1521; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
Why iPod touch is dying=
- Too expensive, why not to buy iPad mini?
-People already have iPod on their iPhone and music players on their phones
-Music enthusiasts have iPod Classics
That said, I love iPod touch, my 3rd gen made me love iOS and overall smartphones and tech.
43. fanboy1974 (Posts: 1291; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
Because this phone kills the iPod touch in every category and adds features at a cheaper cost. Even the base iPad mini does not have GPS. And lets not forget that it make calls.
30. kabhijeet.16 (Posts: 665; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
Motorola has this chance to make it big if they release it world wide specially targetting US, China & India.. These low to mid range devices will sell like hot-cakes in India (coz US is dominated by Apple & Samsung, and China is dominated by Samsung)
32. SoyNumeroCinco (Posts: 5; Member since: 21 Oct 2013)
I just love it.
200 dollars for 16gb? Nice!
I will let you know how much it will cost in Colombia when it gets released.
33. kushki (Posts: 49; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Never liked Motorola's crappy products but this is good for the market as it brings more competition and better specs at lower prices. Now I wanna see what competitors bring, Apple can't do sht at this price... So waiting to hear some cheaper galaxies and lumias...
37. marbovo (Posts: 658; Member since: 16 May 2013)
In Brazil, it will be very cheap, costing around U$300, considering other phones prices like iphone and S4($1000)
42. joaolx (Posts: 364; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
I might get this if it arrives in Portugal. Especially if the dual-sim version arrives. I've been trying to find a good dual-sim smartphone in portugal but most at the same range as this are way more expensive and don't even have a dual-sim version.
44. Doakie (Posts: 1326; Member since: 06 May 2009)
So. Apple releases the "cheaper" iPhone 5C, which is plastic and colorful. The Moto G has a bigger screen that's higher resolution, has a higher PPI, has an interchangeable colorful plastic piece instead of being stuck with your first choice, has 7 color options vs the iPhone 5Cs 5 color selections and is $199 for a 16 GB model while the plastic colorful iPhone 5C in 16 GB is $549. That's stupid! Apple you're doing it wrong.