The probability for a T-Mobile merger with Sprint hits 90%

The probability for a T-Mobile merger with Sprint hits 90%
When the potential merger of T-Mobile with Sprint was first announced, some on Wall Street gave it a 40% chance to actually happen. Last time we followed tangential FCC checks, the probability was brought up from 60% to 70% and now Oppenheimer analysts are basically saying it is a done deal in a note to investors. 

So much so that the competition has reportedly given up on derailing it, and is actually trying to push through conditions that will benefit it when the merger goes through. C-Spire, in particular, met with FCC reps last week, and reiterated their desire for checks and balances on the resulting third-largest US carrier:


Just for the sake of clarity, Oppenheimer's research does say that the 90% merger probability figure is only valid with the caveat that the New T-Mobile could be required to make "divestitures that could spawn a new, fourth competitor (cable, DISH?)" Thus, while we might very well hear that the main US carriers will become three instead of four by the end of the year, the FCC may also have serious conditions attached to the merger approval, too.

FEATURED VIDEO

4 Comments

1. jonathanfiuwx

Posts: 184; Member since: Mar 10, 2017

Trade dish's 600 for sprints 850

2. tyger11

Posts: 297; Member since: Oct 29, 2012

Once T-Mo gobbles up Sprint, there's nowhere for Dish to acquire big spectrum. It then becomes much more likely that Dish gets gobbled up than the other way around.

3. Bigg6987

Posts: 14; Member since: Aug 18, 2013

Hopefully T-Mobile buys that too!

4. tyger11

Posts: 297; Member since: Oct 29, 2012

I don't know if they would be allowed to, but I'd be fine with that, since I'm about to switch back to T-Mo (via Metro).

Latest Stories

This copy is for your personal, non-commercial use only. You can order presentation-ready copies for distribution to your colleagues, clients or customers at https://www.parsintl.com/phonearena or use the Reprints & Permissions tool that appears at the bottom of each web page. Visit https://www.parsintl.com/ for samples and additional information.