Do you wish Japanese smartphones were more popular in the West? (poll results)

Do you wish Japanese smartphones were more popular in the West? (poll results)

Japanese devices make up a decent portion of phones we highlight within our regular, biweekly Monsters from Asia column. That's for a good reason: from near bezel-less designs, through compulsory dust- and water-proofing, down to unique features such as iris scanners, Japan is home to a few makers that are rather obscure in the West.

That's why, yesterday, we asked you whether you wish that these manufacturers' handsets were more popular outside of the home island(s). And nearly 1,600 of you took the opportunity to speak their mind through our poll. The results are in and we're ready to share them with you.

By and large, most of you folks would be jubilant were more Japanese makers to enter Western markets, with a lion's share of the votes standing at just shy of 80%. Woah! The remaining ~20% is split between those among us that wouldn't say no to more variety, but don't necessarily feel they'd be compelled to pick one (14.7%), and them people that simply don't see a reason for the likes of Sharp and Fujitsu to to bother (5.43%). 

However you look at it, there's no denying that Japanese devices, exotic as they may be, tempt smartphone buyers even thousands of miles away. Them being exotic, precisely, is probably why that is — to this date, Japan's makers push out some pretty different phones from what's widely available here. Of course, whether this is simply a case of the majority of us looking at what they can't have through 'pink' glasses is unclear, but not unlikely.

Do you wish Japanese smartphones were more popular in the West?

Absolutely!
79.87%
Meh! Won't say no to more variety, but probably wouldn't end up buying one...
14.7%
Nope. We have it good enough as it is.
5.43%

FEATURED VIDEO

8 Comments

1. King_bilo

Posts: 115; Member since: May 20, 2015

Well, the poll should actually ask of Japanese smartphones should be more accessible/available in the West... But meh

2. theguy2345

Posts: 1216; Member since: Jun 24, 2014

Apparently there is a VAIO windows phone in the works, so absolutely.

3. andro.

Posts: 1999; Member since: Sep 16, 2011

If I could buy the sharp aquos range here in Europe id certainly have bought one straight away,literally for the uniqueness of the design

6. natypes

Posts: 1110; Member since: Feb 02, 2015

I agree. Really like some of the Sharp devices.

4. zeeBomb

Posts: 2318; Member since: Aug 14, 2014

Hell yeah there should be more Sharp phones in the west! Sure, we have something similar here but there's something in those phones that truly make them unique!

5. garciano unregistered

been using the Aquos here in the states for more than a year and it is a wonderful phone, hoping more are brought to the U.S. please enough with the Chinese phones do we need to let them take over this industry too?

7. AndyYan

Posts: 84; Member since: Feb 10, 2014

Unless that means 1) the US version of those phones lose their bootloader lock and various lockdown measures (which is highly unlikely after the example of AQUOS Crystal) and 2) they can issue out real, meaningful software upgrades (most Japan phones only get incremental updates within the same Android version and then die out after the new season arrives), that's a big NO. Sorry, Sharp, but you're not gonna win me over with only a thin bezel and an acrylic screen.

8. Supersonic

Posts: 226; Member since: May 15, 2015

My post has been deleted by Phonearena as it was against Iphone. How much low you will stoop to promote Apple? Are you a paid site of Apple?

Latest Stories

This copy is for your personal, non-commercial use only. You can order presentation-ready copies for distribution to your colleagues, clients or customers at https://www.parsintl.com/phonearena or use the Reprints & Permissions tool that appears at the bottom of each web page. Visit https://www.parsintl.com/ for samples and additional information.