The Samsung ATIV SE is up for pre-order at Verizon, ships April 12
Verizon has listed the Samsung ATIV SE smartphone for pre-order. Slated to ship by April 12, the 5-inch handset will cost $199 subsidized and $599 unlocked. To promote it, Verizon is letting buyers of the ATIV SE procure another handset of the same value, such as the HTC One (M8) and Samsung Galaxy S5 for free, but a two-year contract is required with each device.
The ATIV SE runs Windows Phone 8 out of the box. It's a powerful LTE device with a 5-inch 1080p AMOLED display, a 2.3GHz quad-core CPU (presumably the Qualcomm Snapdragon 800), 2GB RAM, 16GB expandable storage memory, a pair of 13MP rear and 2MP front cameras with 1080p video recording, and a 2600mAh battery. It looks like a capable alternative to the Nokia Lumia Icon, another Verizon Windows Phone-exclusive. It also has some perks, such as Channel Surf for Smart TVs, Samsung Link for sharing content across devices, and ATIV Beam for sending files to Android devices.
As the majority of our readers have been voting that they are really excited about Windows Phone 8.1, we asked Verizon whether the ATIV SE is eligible for an update. We'll update the article if the carrier responds.
Samsung ATIV SE
13. Felix_Gatto (Posts: 554; Member since: 03 Jul 2013)
Well, that's your opinion. I respect it.
2. TheMeaTree (Posts: 8; Member since: 20 Mar 2014)
now if sammy had put the s5 in a case like this it would have been MUCH better received.
4. amats69 (Posts: 1129; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
i dont see any difference..this look identical with the s5 minus the band-aid design on the back
6. amats69 (Posts: 1129; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
oh man..i just wish the 930 running android...its not that i dont like wp..but i cant play the games i currently playng on my ios and android coz it is not available on wp.....
9. NokiaFTW (Posts: 2058; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
I don't see anything wrong in the design. At least it looks better than the S5, which is strange since Android is Samsung's main focus.
14. Felix_Gatto (Posts: 554; Member since: 03 Jul 2013)
It's his opinion, there's no need to argue that.
21. johnpa2006 (Posts: 3; Member since: 24 Aug 2013)
Except for some Nokia phones, they're all plastic.
If it was metal people would say it was too heavy !!! :o)
8. NokiaFTW (Posts: 2058; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
Lucky Verizon customers, they have 2 great WP choices in the Icon & the Ativ SE!
11. cornerofthemoon (Posts: 518; Member since: 20 Apr 2010)
Except for the speaker placement it looks like it would fit in my Galaxy S4 Otterbox case.
12. cornerofthemoon (Posts: 518; Member since: 20 Apr 2010)
Samsung has made some great WP devices in the past. They just don't make many of them.
17. tokuzumi (Posts: 348; Member since: 27 Aug 2009)
Does WP allow for the tiles to be black? That would be a nice theme, especially with the AMOLED.
18. NokiaFTW (Posts: 2058; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
You can do that by enabling high contrast under ease of access in the settings menu and changing the background to white. I have enabled it on my L1520. Looks sexy. :D
19. DFranch (Posts: 140; Member since: 20 Apr 2012)
I don't think so with WP8, but with WP 8.1 you can set a background and make the icons transparent. It you had a black background, then most of the tiles would be black with just an icon indicating what the tile is for.
20. papss (unregistered)
Nokiaftw has it right.