Samsung's J.K. Shin says without Samsung patents, there is no Apple iPhone; no deal with Apple is coming
Shin made the comments after the ITC decided to review an earlier ruling that Apple didn't infringe on four Samsung patents in the manufacturing of the Apple iPhone and Apple iPad. With a decision due in January, there is a lot riding on the ITC's decision. A ruling against Apple would prevent the Cupertino based firm from selling the Apple iPhone and the Apple iPad in the U.S.
Shin told reporters like he did last week, that Samsung is not negotiating with Apple like HTC did. The resulting deal between Taiwan based HTC and Apple means that each side will get to use each other's patents for ten years while HTC will be making undisclosed payments to Apple. All litigation between the two firms will be dropped. There is some talk that Apple and Google will agree to a similar deal which Apple hopes would put more attention on its battles with Samsung.
Though later denied via an official tweet, Shin did hint that Samsung would introduce a new Galaxy S phone at the CES show in Las Vegas in January. Speculation is that the Samsung Galaxy S IV will be introduced at CES with a 5 inch OLED screen offering a spectacular 441ppi pixel density.
source: KoreaTimes via BGR
2 January Samsung will have to reveal sales data in Apple patent lawsuit
7 December Judge Koh pleas for 'global peace' between Apple and Samsung for the sake of consumers, incites laughter
6 December Samsung and Apple meet with Judge Lucy Koh for post-trial hearing
6 December Apple and Samsung return to court for hearing in front of Judge Koh
5 December Google's Eric Schmidt on the relationship with Apple: the adults are talking now
1. jphillips63 (Posts: 185; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
I'm no fan of either, well except Samsung TV sets. But if Samsung truly has a leg to stand on and I say hold your ground and don't cave in to apple. I'm like many others I'm tired of these lawsuits and just wish they agree to disagree and move on.
7. AnTuTu (Posts: 972; Member since: 14 Oct 2012)
Its like without a Father no kids lolzzzz :p
Well said Shin :)
30. jroc74 (Posts: 5192; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Those are fighting words by Shin. Some of us agree with him tho. Looks like Samsung is in this for the long haul. Good luck Samsung.
Anything to knock Apple down a few notches, knock some of that arrogance of their shoulders, so be it.
32. Cynipap999 (banned) (Posts: 138; Member since: 15 Nov 2012)
That's right JK, wipe the floor and male Apple juice out of 'em!!
49. thelegend6657 (unregistered)
I agree with you , the only samsung products I like are their TV . For tab I like Asus / iPad for phone HTC .
For DVD/Bluray player I use LG / Sony .
9. bayusuputra (Posts: 945; Member since: 12 Feb 2012)
and nokia wouldn't be around if Motorola never came up with the first hand phone..
20. Johnnokia (Posts: 561; Member since: 27 May 2012)
Full respect for Nokia, Motorola, Blackberry and Ericsson.
They are the real innovative companies for the mobile world
50. thelegend6657 (unregistered)
I agree , except for the blackberry part
22. -box- (Posts: 3878; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Possibly, but Nokia and Siemens did one heck of a lot to push the technology farther and faster than not, as well as introduce stuff Moto hadn't thought of. The trifecta really helped shape our world, and I hope they are able to continue that in the future
39. stealthd (Posts: 980; Member since: 12 Jun 2011)
Not true at all. If motorola hadn't gotten it, Bell labs would have. Just because they were first does not mean the entire industry is reliant on them.
53. -box- (Posts: 3878; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Precisely. There are much developments being done worldwide. No one country or company has the monopoly on all innovation.
...despite what apple likes to think of itself in its narcissitical dreams.
29. doejon (Posts: 360; Member since: 31 Jul 2012)
and nokia would be dead without microsoft eve apple
3. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8922; Member since: 14 May 2012)
"The executive who heads up the Korean firm's mobile division, J.K. Shin, told reporters in Seoul on Wednesday that without Samsung's wireless patents, Apple would not be able to produce its iconic smartphone."
HA! This is basically a nice flick of a finger to Apple.
4. Peter98 (Posts: 119; Member since: 01 Aug 2012)
Maybe this is true.
Then Apple say: "Without we are using touchscreen and hold many more patents, Samsung cant even get the phone done!"
Then Nokia say: "Without my Nokia 3310, how the world will get a phone today."
6. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8922; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Motorola: Without me, there wouldn't be no cell phone.
5. _Bone_ (Posts: 2140; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
I just wish Apple paid the LTE patents and both move on.
8. gallitoking (Posts: 4690; Member since: 17 May 2011)
Samsung had this aggressive attitude before and that cost them a billion. let's see how much money they will loose on this one as there is no way the iphone gets banned in its home turf... no way..
10. webOSlove (unregistered)
25. -box- (Posts: 3878; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Why the downvote? We all are a lot of things. Lots of cells, lots of genetic formations, evolutionary, human, ethnic, lingual, technologically educated, etc.
+1 from me, even if it wasn't the most useful of comments
26. plgladio (Posts: 313; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
gallitoking: the money you are talking about is not credited into Apple account, case is still continuing not finalised, so lets not comment about the money as of now..
28. gallitoking (Posts: 4690; Member since: 17 May 2011)
Apple stock goes down a penny and Android claim Apple is shutting their doors... trust me if me claiming stuff that hasn't happen yet bothers you then you are barking at the wrong Apple tree..
54. -box- (Posts: 3878; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
A penny? It's tanked like $200 already. That's a lot of pennies.
38. NaRFL (Posts: 25; Member since: 09 Apr 2012)
Yeah right... u r not just stupid but also an idiot.
51. trunkmonkey (Posts: 6; Member since: 31 Mar 2012)
you do realize they there is a lot of reviewing going on regarding the first billion dollar trial and it is highly unlikely Apple will get anywhere near this?
33. jroc74 (Posts: 5192; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Cost them a billion? Last time I checked, it hasnt been paid yet. That settlement isnt set in stone yet. Bounce back got invalidated by the USPTO, remember? Thats one Apple patent down the drain. It wont be a billion when its finally said n done.
Unless you are talking about some other case where Samsung was ordered to pay a billion dollars....
37. oister85 (Posts: 410; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
Gallitoking is right theres no way apple will get banned. The government will NOT allowed
42. xtremesv (Posts: 238; Member since: 21 Oct 2011)
Of course, if you really believe the US justice system is corrupt then it may be the case Samsung will never win against Apple.
45. tedkord (Posts: 5264; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Other than legal fees, it hasn't cost them one red penny yet. And by the time its done, it will cost nowhere near a billion, if anything at all.
55. -box- (Posts: 3878; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Right, especially if apple is forced to pay Samsung's legal fees.
12. p0rkguy (Posts: 684; Member since: 23 Nov 2010)
If Samsung really wants to destroy Apple, they could easily tell the public that majority of Apple parts are made by Samsung.
"Remember the Apple iPhone? Well, we made most their parts and we put better ones in ours. Remember the iPhone 3G? Yeah, that too. Know the iPhone 5 out now? We still have parts in that too but our's is better. Know the Apple iPad? Let's save that for another time."
An ad similar to that would destroy Apple.
56. -box- (Posts: 3878; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
That would be great! Show it being disassembled either virtually or sped-up.
"This is an iphone/ipod/apple anything. These are the parts made by apple (blank screen). These are the parts made by samsung (processor, memory, etc). Notice a difference? Buy the real thing made by the company that makes the parts in your systems. Buy samsung."
13. ElektronicGeek91 (Posts: 105; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
Those are some strong powerful words. Aha. Samsung all the way!
14. lyndon420 (Posts: 1785; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
Moto, Sammy, Nokia etc were making phones when the iPhone was still being conceived in Steve's uterus. The ITC better remember that. If not, then the ITC needs to be disbanded and replaced with something else. (No offense Sammy as I don't care for your products yet), but hopefully you can nail them to the wall. And when you're done with them go after ms if they don't back off and learn to play nice - let alone innovate.
15. darkkjedii (Posts: 12624; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Lawsuits lawsuits and more lawsuits. Please let it end
34. jroc74 (Posts: 5192; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Agree with you and jedii. Sometimes, I wish I didnt know about all these lil details about companies..
19. networkdood (Posts: 6326; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
tell that to Apple as they started this mess.
16. someones4 (Posts: 619; Member since: 16 Sep 2012)
Yup, flick Apple the birdie and just concentrate on the galaxy S4
17. medicci37 (Posts: 716; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
In other words.... F*CK YOU Apple !!! & Your Bullsh*t Patents :-)
23. Samsomesh (Posts: 180; Member since: 11 Jun 2012)
I think nokia has the major patents.. And Nokia started smartphones..!!
27. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
im really annoyed by these suing thing.... why wont they just agree with each other?!
31. gallitoking (Posts: 4690; Member since: 17 May 2011)
I don't get how fandroids read that is Samsung that there will be no deal with Apple and is ok by you guys but if it would have been Apple claiming no deal . Apple would have been crucified... I am beginning to think that there is a new herd of Sh__ps
35. jroc74 (Posts: 5192; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
It what it is....there are fanboys on every side, for probably every product under the sun. Everybody prefers something, sometimes prefers it so much they are biased towards it.
All I will say about Apple is IMO they cry too much over nothing.
36. gallitoking (Posts: 4690; Member since: 17 May 2011)
all companies cry over nothing.. trust me
40. JunitoNH (Posts: 985; Member since: 15 Feb 2012)
Someone has been smoking some serious Korean spice.
41. Goutch (Posts: 3; Member since: 21 Nov 2012)
The iPhone5 is an awesome device.
...to use as a doorstop.
43. TechnoTechyes (Posts: 56; Member since: 24 Jan 2011)
I think this is mostly about Samsung making a point... (not so much about winning anything) Apple has managed to make it's followers believe it invented so many things that it actually copied. i.e.
Touch to open apps (Apple copied Palm)
Pinch to Zoom (seen in 2002 movie Minority Report)
On Screen Keyboard (Apple followed many preceding devices)
Home Button (Apple followed many devices)
On screen page turns (are you kidding?)
I think the whole point of Samsung's suit is to pound in the fact that Apple is not the great innovator its followers believe it is.
Jan 2006: HTC came out with the Prophet
June 2007 HTC came out with the Touch (like Prophet less buttons)
Aug 2008 HTC came out with the TouchPro (like Touch, just sleeker)
and was immediately accused of copying the iPhone.
The iPhone was released after the HTC Touch in 2007
How does Apple get away with that? I think that is what Samsung wants to put an end to.
44. rizky_p (Posts: 19; Member since: 29 Oct 2011)
Finally a strong figure to stand againts the bully, just we need.
46. Topcat488 (Posts: 1173; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
Some bibles put the Apple as the center of attention, for needing the first judgement in court. In those same books (bibles), you will also read, the stories of Samson... Being a strong and courageous man.
47. metoyou (Posts: 278; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
You go SS rape A'ass like it deserve, if she is a bitch then treat her like one. Don't stop till Apple juice come out
Am I too harsh? But I think she love that lol
48. Twisted247 (Posts: 260; Member since: 12 Oct 2012)
That's the sad thing even if apple was found guilty of blatant patent infringement the courts in America still wouldn't rule in favor of Samsung. . Even though apple started this whole patent lawsuit crap the courts would NOT ban the iphone and ipad sales just a sad fact.