Nokia gives free phone to filmmaker whose work was stolen by Apple
So along comes Nokia, who along with Microsoft are always the fastest to take advantage of publicity faux pas made by rivals, to reward the filmmaker while at the same time, making Apple look bad. The Finnish based OEM (soon to be a Redmond based OEM) sent Casey a box containing a free Nokia Lumia 1020. With its 41MP PureView snapper, it is the perfect handset for a filmmaker.
Even better was the note attached to the gift, which we have copied for your enjoyment below. Neistat admits to being an Apple fan but says, "I've never had my work stolen so adversely as this. They stripped all my branding off it and put their own name on it in such a harsh way."
source: NewYorkTimes via CNET
1. Ninetysix (Posts: 1014; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Good job Nokia. No, Casey Neistat doesn't ring a bell.
PS. I think i saw PAPINYC in the vid. Anyone else?
24. techaman (unregistered)
no one knows him by name i seen this vid but did not know about it been taken by apple and all that i would sue them.
36. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 2749; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Good luck. You may or may not win the fight but you'd lose the war. Apple has a ton of money so they can easily get a good lawyer.
Course this story screams bs.
40. VZWuser76 (Posts: 902; Member since: 04 Mar 2010)
So even if you're in the right, suing Apple is pointless because of their high powered legal team? And you see nothing wrong with that statement? OK then.
43. tedkord (Posts: 3793; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
You're talking to a person who would claim Apple was in the right if it was discovered they were making the iPhone out of the bones of orphans they were slaughtering. To him, if Apple does it, it's right.
39. ardent1 (Posts: 1972; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
There are at least two sides to each story.
It nice to see the android camp (once again) enter let's lynch someone mode. With the android camp kangaroo court, what's the point of getting to the facts.
46. tedkord (Posts: 3793; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
What other side was represented in the article you linked. Apple still stole this man's work, removed his credits and used it for their own product.
I admit it's not surprising. That's what Apple has always done.
41. PAPINYC (Posts: 1971; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
Really????? You're that bored with your vacuous life that you feel the need to awaken me from my beauty sleep by alleging my indelible presence at such a perniciously nocuous gathering by vastly feeble-minded drones? The closest I came to that pathetic line of self-proclaimed, and I quote, "idiots," was that afternoon at around 2:20pm when I snapped the background to my "Profile" pic' (which, incidentally, is Geo-tagged with longitudinal and latitudinal coordinates, as well as, date and time). Click on my pic if you have any doubts. Oh, and I'll reiterate, "these semiAnnual herding practices are quite the disruption to my, otherwise, scenic Fifth Avenue views. I'll be glad when another hurricane comes through here and takes that glass cube along with it!"
2. pookiewood (Posts: 469; Member since: 05 Mar 2012)
Apple stealing something? Haha yeah right!
8. Finalflash (Posts: 930; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
Of course they wouldn't. It is actually Mr. Neistat that stole Apple's video and edited it for his own nefarious purposes. Here we have a short video about it (cue johnny ives).
28. Miracles (Posts: 310; Member since: 31 Aug 2013)
Lol. Thats most definitely how it happened.
3. Miracles (Posts: 310; Member since: 31 Aug 2013)
Apple, don't be stealing people's work. It makes you no better than Samsung.
Please leave hate comments below. Thanks :D
14. PapaSmurf (Posts: 6050; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I find it funny that the article mentioned nothing about Samsung and you're the one that had to bring it up. Congrats on being the troll for this article.
22. Miracles (Posts: 310; Member since: 31 Aug 2013)
No problem. Just cuz the article doesn't mention Samsung- doesn't mean I cannot talk about it. The truth stays the truth, no matter how many times you try to prove it to be false.
I had to bring it up, because its quite ironic---Apple accuses Samsung of copying, but now they are copying others. So yeah I expressed my thought, if thats is considered being a troll. Then yes I am a troll.
38. joey_sfb (Posts: 1889; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Everyone has their fair share of copying its called progress or business depending on your angle only the self righteous Apple inc make it an issue.
And the Apple fans and hater waging war over the smallest details while Apple inc. continue to make their billions whether you like them or not.
Apple is not an innovator but one of the largest OEM, they buy every parts in large quantity in the lowest possible price. They have zero production or manufacturer capacity unlike Samsung that has a wide product catalogue and their own design and manufacturing arms. Only a stupid Apple fan who mind has been disfunctional would look down on them.
47. tedkord (Posts: 3793; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Except Apple didn't copy here. They didn't go out and film identical footage. They flat out stole it. It would only be equivalent if Samsung took parts of the iPhone and put them into a Galaxy phone.
54. Miracles (Posts: 310; Member since: 31 Aug 2013)
I considered copying to be equivalent to stealing to some extent if it pertains to an idea.
Its like saying I just got an awesome idea for a research paper, but my classmate steals the idea and does his own paper. Even though, our papers are written individually with different content, it still means he/she copied---stole my idea.
So yeah Apple flat out stole, but copying of ideas is also stealing to some extent. Though copying is good for us consumers because it opens our worlds to a wide range of markets. If "scrolling" of multi-touch was only found on the iPhone, and all other phones has physical buttons, then I'd be bummed. So Apple and Samsung can take it to the courts, but I'm ok as long as I get what I want from my product.
65. Rayvelynn (Posts: 123; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
An Iphone has nothing but Samsung parts in it including the RAM. Without Samsung where would Iphones be? The only thing the Apple really truly owns in the phone is the OS. Even that's not quite up to par. lol Iphone is nothing but a glorified Samsung phone Iphone users might as well get an Android. lol
55. splus (Posts: 9; Member since: 26 Nov 2011)
"But now Apple is copying others"? "Now"???
Apple has been stealing left and right from its very beginning! And has so many times plain stolen from small app developers and authors.
What cave do you live in that you think Apple only "now" started copying and stealing??
Sorry, but you're a plain fanboy/troll who ignores one's faults and points at faults of others.
59. Miracles (Posts: 310; Member since: 31 Aug 2013)
Will you explain to me in what way I was being a fanboy b/c I expressed problems with both Apple and Samsung, so I don't see how I'm leaning to one side in this argument. My post stays how both companies have stolen. AND don't go criticizing people over a small word b/c it conflicts with you. (I'm not justifying anything for Apple here-)Sure Apple may have stole in the past, but I didn't see it in the 7 o'clock news/or sites I check--so I didn't know. If your gonna prove it, then please do so.
62. saffant (Posts: 184; Member since: 04 Jul 2011)
Hah.. right well except Apple copied TONS from not just this poor casey dude, but also google's Android system, their own plaform's cydia devs, Nokia lumia phones etc. So realize that when you point a finger, 3 are pointing right back at you.
25. techaman (unregistered)
apple stop stealing everyones ideas and saying there yours. after 6 months. lol apple suck great job nokia.
4. Bernoulli (Posts: 1337; Member since: 01 Sep 2012)
wow just wow, I can't believe apple's level of copying would drop this much, the film maker should totally file a lawsuit to apple just to get them back and ridiculize them.
5. AstronautJones (Posts: 148; Member since: 01 Aug 2012)
Casey and his brother had a show on HBO.
Called "the Neistat brothers".
I remember him from that....
6. MrsPotatoHead (banned) (Posts: 48; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
This is obviously made up by them Apple haters, Apple aint steal nothing.
10. MrsPotatoHead (banned) (Posts: 48; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
Just because I dont believe them lies it dont make me weak.
11. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 752; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
No, you wouldn't know that they are Apple haters.
18. Shatter (Posts: 1754; Member since: 29 May 2013)
Steve Jobs wasn't an innovator, he was a copier/thief.
He toke other peoples work and used it in Apple products and giving them no credit. He never really invented anything.
The real companies doing all the work don't get any credit.
26. techaman (unregistered)
it means you have no thoughts of your own like a sheeep ohhh apple is the first smart phone with a finger print scanner to unlock
16. PapaSmurf (Posts: 6050; Member since: 14 May 2012)
How much did Apple pay you to write that comment? $1?
21. Trismegistus (Posts: 32; Member since: 21 Aug 2013)
I guess Apple is catering to the highly coveted demographic of nearly illiterate online commentators.
23. MrsPotatoHead (banned) (Posts: 48; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
Why do people always think theres an alternative motive?
I actually think that this is some trick by Nokias to make Apple look bad. It sound like one of those marketing tricks.
27. techaman (unregistered)
really really can you be that thick in the head potatohead
30. RoyalPayne (banned) (Posts: 458; Member since: 07 Aug 2013)
Don't mind him. He's just a paid troll.
33. MrsPotatoHead (banned) (Posts: 48; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
Im not paying him no mind, people willl hate for no reason.
57. shahrooz (Posts: 82; Member since: 17 Sep 2013)
the reason is your extreme resistance toward understanding and accepting facts.
60. PapaSmurf (Posts: 6050; Member since: 14 May 2012)
You've been on the site for two months and you know my job? Want to tell me the lotto numbers for tonight?
53. mattkl (Posts: 124; Member since: 01 Feb 2010)
"Why do people always think theres an alternative motive?
I actually think that this is some trick by Nokias to make Apple look bad. It sound like one of those marketing tricks."
This is the best comment I've seen in a while.
17. PapaSmurf (Posts: 6050; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Hey Nokia I got my work stolen from in HS. Does that qualify me for a free 1020?
20. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 752; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
From HS. *
No, Nokia is not competing with HS.
61. PapaSmurf (Posts: 6050; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Grammatically it's correct. Nice try though.
64. PapaSmurf (Posts: 6050; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Beg to differ.
"I had my work stolen from in HS."
With the addition of the word 'in' indicates it was in the past. The high school that I graduated from didn't steal my work, the students did, therefore my sentence is grammatically correct. The sentence would have been better by adding 'me' after from, but my statement still stands.
19. Chizzypro (Posts: 6; Member since: 05 Oct 2013)
This is how it ought to be. Seizing opportunity to dominate the market. Well done Nokia!
32. GrapeEyes (Posts: 243; Member since: 01 Sep 2013)
Like I said, apple are not for the people.
2016 apple sells it mobile division, due to poor sales of its last 3 mobile devices.
34. CX3NT3_713 (Posts: 1184; Member since: 18 Apr 2011)
Dirty rotten apple...smh... Good job Nokia
35. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 5480; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Nokia did a nice thing giving him a free phone. When Apple couldn't.
37. boomboom (Posts: 31; Member since: 10 Oct 2013)
casey should sue the sueing company(apple)
42. tedkord (Posts: 3793; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Waitaminute. Stealing someone else's work and taking credit for it? That doesn't sound like Apple. /s
Now, I'd they then sued the original filmmaker, that would sound like Apple
44. GeekyGene (Posts: 76; Member since: 25 Aug 2013)
Storm in a tea cup? Did Tim Cook personally go to YouTube like the Grinch and steal the video?