Nokia Lumia 630 available starting today as the world's first Windows Phone 8.1 handset
Initially unveiled in early April, at the same time with the high-end Lumia 930 and the LTE-capable Lumia 635, the Lumia 630 is a device that should offer “an uncompromised Microsoft experience and Lumia experience at a low price point.” Its features include a 4.5-inch display with 480 x 854 pixels, 3G, 5MP rear camera, quad-core 1.2 Snapdragon 400 processor, 8GB of expandable internal memory, and a 1,820 mAh battery. The handset only has 512MB of RAM, but Windows Phone 8.1 (just like Android KitKat) is optimized to run smoothly with that amount of memory anyway.
Prices for the single SIM Lumia 630 start at around $160 (€119), while the dual SIM variant is a bit more expensive: $176 (€129). Various color options are available, including black, white, orange, green, and yellow.
Interestingly, although the Lumia 630 has Nokia’s logo on the front, the post announcing its release doesn’t mention the Nokia name at all, and that’s probably (or definitely) because Microsoft now owns Nokia’s Devices and Services business. Anyway, you can let us know in the comments if you’re looking forward to buying a Nokia / Microsoft Lumia 630.
Nokia Lumia 630
source: Nokia Conversations
1. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 2581; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
OK, could have been better with the specs for that price tag.
5. akki20892 (Posts: 3411; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
I check 930 on UK retailers site it saying first week of June.
8. sgodsell (Posts: 1184; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
So only the 635 is the LTE version and the 630 does not have LTE. This is suppose to be an improvement over the 620. So other then the physical screen size which is bigger by .5". Its resolution stays the same roughly at 854x480. The 54 extra pixels are now used for on screen buttons instead of the capacitive ones which were removed. A larger capacity micro SD slot. A quad core snapdragon 400 CPU. They removed the rear camera flash and the front facing camera. It still has 512mb of ram. They should have increased the memory to 1gb. Of all the things 1gb is needed today. Even the lumia 525 has 1gb of ram. There is even some apps that require 1gb of ram. You removed the rear camera flash and front facing camera. You could have put those savings into the extra 512mb of ram. Just dumb Microsoft/Nokia.
17. hemedans (Posts: 146; Member since: 01 Jun 2013)
dumb persons are those who think every phone in this world are made just for them. if those specs are not enough just dont buy and find another phone
30. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3534; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
Exactly!... Get a 1520 for Christ sake.. What more specifications could you want?
39. gmckelos (Posts: 1; Member since: 15 May 2014)
chief... These days Nokia... errr... Microsoft has virtually any category of phone at different price points, just get what suits you best...
11. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 2581; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
I'm also waiting for that lovely phone.
36. aksa123 (Posts: 193; Member since: 30 Jan 2014)
Nah, personaly I dont like the design, it's jst too bold.
iPhone 5C is much sexier.
2. SIGPRO (Posts: 437; Member since: 03 Oct 2012)
Euhm me and many people already updated our phones to WP 8.1 so this is not the first 8.1 device ;P
6. Florin.T (Posts: 109; Member since: 16 Dec 2013)
It is. It is the first to run WP 8.1 out of the box.
7. utg001 (Posts: 31; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
give us a windows phone 8.1 review as found on the 630 ( as I presume its "out of the beta") and update when 930 comes out.
12. Florin.T (Posts: 109; Member since: 16 Dec 2013)
I think we'll have a Nokia 630 review pretty soon. And yes, WP 8.1 on it is not the Developer Preview that can be downloaded now.
14. rishabh_2795 (Posts: 21; Member since: 22 Feb 2013)
When will you review HTC desire 816? Its the most awaited phone in India so i'll be glad that u review it.
37. Florin.T (Posts: 109; Member since: 16 Dec 2013)
Can't say for sure, but it will probably happen soon.
3. NotAGeek (Posts: 129; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
In my country the moto g is really hard to find.Yeah specs are sucks (no shutter button,only 512mb ram),but i need the dual sim and i really like WP.So this phone is the only choice for me
31. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3534; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
That's exactly why the MotoG doesn't matter.. When will these guys learn? Verizon home internet service is better than AT&T, but its not available in my area, and AT&T is. So, to argue why I choose AT&T is irrelevant.. SMH
4. Gamas_K (Posts: 61; Member since: 02 Nov 2013)
It's a bit downgrade from L625 but still a nice phone, might become my secondary phone because my mega 6.3 is too darn big
40. g2a5b0e (Posts: 2157; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
So, you bought a Mega & you're complaining that it's too big? -__-
9. NokiaFTW (Posts: 1976; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
I like this phone. I might get my sister this instead of the Moto G.
13. boosook (Posts: 978; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Do your sister a favour and get her the Moto G! :)
15. NokiaFTW (Posts: 1976; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
Lets see dude. This will be her first smartphone, so the lower the price the better. Also, the L630 is priced quite a bit lower than the Moto G here in India, while offering expandable storage, which is important to her.
32. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3534; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
Yeah, she might want a standout device, and not what EVERYONE ELSE has.... Get her a WP device.. Some kind of WP device... But, you can probably find her a WP8 device for the same cost with better specs.. I do agree that Microkia dropped the ball on the 630.. I wouldn't get it.
10. IliyaBeshkov (Posts: 241; Member since: 09 Jul 2012)
Actually WP 7+ was optimised to run on 512MB devices before KitKat..
18. elitewolverine (Posts: 1516; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
Shhhh kitkat is their savior...i would hate to see kitkat on a 512mb phone
22. Liveitup (Posts: 1173; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
I'd like to see and Android 512 Mb device running against a 512 Mb WP device. Anything can be optimized at the same Mb ram yet in smoothness they can be world apart.
23. AJagtiani (limited) (Posts: 460; Member since: 24 Apr 2014)
I don't think we'll get to see an Android KitKat phone with 512MB of RAM EVER!
26. skinny95black (Posts: 113; Member since: 06 Jan 2013)
That will be interesting actually would love to see that since I am a wp fan and a droid user thinking about switching I would like to see how kit kat runa on 512 mb wp7.5 was fat as hell on a single core and 512 mb and wp 8 was more faster on 512 mb waiting to see how it will perform on 8.1
25. elitewolverine (Posts: 1516; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
what you could compare i guess is the 525 vs the moto E
33. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3534; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
I want to see that comparison as well.. I'd take my chances with WP.....
27. Cyberchum (Posts: 269; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
You guys can keep saying that Moto E is better but until it gets to Nigeria (Africa's biggest market) and turns out to be cheaper or a tad costlier than 630, I won't really care.
We've seen project butter, seeing project svelte and still to see project sleek but from my experience, android with weak internals can leave a very sour taste in your mouth, in fact, it can be an agent of frustration. Moto E coming with near stock UI and 4.4.2 is to me, it's biggest pro but i'd rather use WP8.1 with 512 MB of RAM than use Kitkat with double the RAM. I've sworn never to use an android with less than 2 GB of RAM because I can't just put up with lags and freezes.
28. corporateJP (Posts: 1555; Member since: 28 Nov 2009)
Too much money for a 620 downgrade...
29. PressStart (Posts: 116; Member since: 08 Apr 2014)
Just waiting for TMo to release the 635. Had my hands on an iOS and Android device now seeing what WP feels like. I'm so ready to trade in this buggy Nexus.
35. Deaconclgi (Posts: 258; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Florin. T, thank you for not writing that Microsoft acquired/bought Nokia. I honestly appreciate it.
38. jepp_20066 (Posts: 3; Member since: 21 Sep 2013)
WP is tested lagless..i used both sony xperia acro s and lumia 620. I find lumia 620 more smoother compare to my android that lags alot especially when it is connected to wifi, I could hardly use it the way i used to lumia 620. android is such a frustration though i love many apps.