Apple's iPhone sells poorly in indebted European countries, while Android flourishes
1. Birds (Posts: 1151; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
Even though I get happy to hear how apple should suffer, well.....nevermind, point made lol. But Go Android for making cheap flagships for countries that need help. That is an amazing thing to do Google. Keep it up!
2. ilia1986 (unregistered)
Apple iPhone sells poorly.. my favorite line of text. :)
3. thebikerboi2 (Posts: 144; Member since: 01 Apr 2011)
well most android smartphone's that are sold in the UK are generaly the mid-range androids
7. andro. (Posts: 1997; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
Not necessarily,pay as go mid range handsets sell well ie: Galaxy s plus. However on contract the price difference between mid and top level handsets are minimal so top tier android handsets are generally the most popular by far.
4. bbblader (Posts: 588; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
as i see not only in europe because android is bigger in the us too
6. andro. (Posts: 1997; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
Not everyone can pay the extraordinate amounts for iphones,and indeed carriers in these countries know this and most therefore will not be chained to the groin by apple with its huge contract demands either so apple infiltration is low.Android models are much better priced and even the very top android models are higher tech,do more than iphone but also cost much less than an iphone,it makes great economical sense.
For instance a iphone on pay as you go can be 600 euros while a Sony Arc S sells for 350, a Samsung galaxy s plus sells for 350 euros. Even the galaxy s2 can be bought for 450 euros
8. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
not everyone likes paying a premium to feel a bit of snobbery while being ignorant to the wallet robbery. :)
9. droiddomination (Posts: 203; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
i think apple fails in these countries not b/c of poverty, but more b/c they know value when they see it and spend their money wisely. who wants a locked down, overpriced, outdated phone with no control over what they can do with THEIR puchased product? apple sucks it.
10. cellphonator (Posts: 298; Member since: 29 Oct 2011)
This is your opinion as a fervent Android fan. The truth is that when you struggle to bring money home to pay rent and food you save every penny you can. So a low-mid range phone does the job. Been there, done it.
19. JunitoNH (Posts: 1562; Member since: 15 Feb 2012)
No, they are not buying the iPhone, because they can't afford them, period. Greece is bankrupt, Iceland, Germany & Italy are flirting with it, so please don't justify the crisis in Europe. Virgin mobile will sell well in Europe with their cheap Androids.
11. christianqwerty (Posts: 467; Member since: 05 May 2011)
Android phones are always going to sell more because a lot are cheap, heck, with metro pcs you can get an android phone from huawei for 39$ or from Samsung for 59$ the wildfire for htc is also 99$. It's cheap, it's its a big step up from a regular phone
12. ENIGMA (Posts: 81; Member since: 17 Feb 2012)
13. ENIGMA (Posts: 81; Member since: 17 Feb 2012)
20. Paden (Posts: 262; Member since: 07 Jul 2011)
14. terrah (Posts: 1; Member since: 28 Feb 2012)
I live in Greece and I think that the article says the half truth... The truth is that the iphone is VERY VERY expensive, while androids are very cheap. iphone 3gs costs 400€, samsung galaxy s2 costs 400€, htc evo 3d costs 310€, iphone 4s 16gb costs 660€ or 885$.... Considering the economic instability 5% is a very good achievement for iphone.
15. pistolashtc (Posts: 29; Member since: 28 Dec 2010)
I live in Portugal and the cheaper version of tht iPhone 4S on Apple's Website costs 630€ (About 840 US Dolars), and the most expensive costs 849€ (about 1140 US Dolars) !! -.-''
18. jmoita2 (Posts: 930; Member since: 23 Dec 2011)
Yeah,I know. Talk about gouging. Definately way overpriced for what it is. Portugues??? Sou Brasileiro,amigo...
17. lukasound (Posts: 152; Member since: 16 Nov 2011)
Balkan countries have always been aspiring to technology more than status... I know it's like that among my friends and aquaintances... So it's not only about the price.
And i believe that in most of the rest of Europe it's the same...
But of course, there are many technologicaly ignorant people everywhere :) They are just more frequent in countries plagued by aspartame, transfat and the like :D
22. cellphonator (Posts: 298; Member since: 29 Oct 2011)
"And i believe that in most of the rest of Europe it's the same..."
Majority of people can't and don't want to afford 650€ for a cellphone, if money means nothing for you that's a different story. Americans have been spoiled by discounted price on a 2 yrs contract + consumerism is a US prerogative thanks also to the misuse of credit cards.
23. -box- (Posts: 3991; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Hooray for people avoiding the apple smugphone