Chrome OS devices will soon be getting support for fingerprint sensors

Chrome OS devices will soon be getting support for fingerprint sensors
When thinking about smartphone trends for the past couple years, the use of fingerprint sensors is easily one of the more prominent ones. Everyone likes to keep their information secure, and even more importantly, everyone likes to be able to access their private information without having to enter a lengthy password each time they want to unlock their phone. Fingerprint sensors allow for a high level of security with the convenience of being able to access all your information with just your fingerprint. It's something we've seen on iPhones, Android handsets, iPads, tablets, and even Windows 10 devices. And, according to a new commit that has appeared within the Chromium repositories, it would appear that we will soon be getting support for fingerprint sensors on Chrome OS devices as well.

While a commit in the Chromium repositories doesn't necessarily mean that we're guaranteed to get fingerprint sensor support for Chromebooks and other Chrome OS devices, a sign that Google is experimenting with a feature like this does point towards a future in which we'll be able to unlock our Chromebooks with just the press of a finger. Google recently added a PIN unlock feature within the developer channels for the Chrome OS platform, so it's obvious that the company is stepping up its game when it comes to the security of these devices. 


Along with being able to unlock your Chromebook with fingerprint sensors if they're implemented into the Chrome OS, it's likely that we could see this support pushed out throughout the entire operating system. Similar to Android and iOS devices, we'd expect to be able to use fingerprint sensors on Chrome OS to authentic Android apps, sign into different web pages, and more. While it's always best to take rumors and leaks with a grain of salt, we'd be quite surprised if we didn't see Google implement this feature into the Chrome OS when you consider the constant rise of popularity for such security options.

FEATURED VIDEO

7 Comments

1. Martineverest

Posts: 521; Member since: Oct 27, 2015

cant wait for google to dump chrome os in two years time

2. Finalflash

Posts: 4063; Member since: Jul 23, 2013

Yea, right on top of the decaying body of iOS as Android takes 99% of the OS marketshare, the other 1% being a resurgent BB and a 1% margin of error.

3. trojan_horse

Posts: 5868; Member since: May 06, 2016

Android could increase in market share, true... But up to from ~80% to 99% in just two years time? Humm. We both know it can't be.

6. Scott93274

Posts: 6040; Member since: Aug 06, 2013

Well, Android phones accounted for 86.2% of smartphones sold globally last quarter. This is very, very close to their current overall market share, so I expect them to hover around that percentage for a while. I would like to point out though that this last iPhone was also the first iPhone to undersell the previous model, and the one about to be revealed is allegedly lacking in compelling reason for people to buy it aside from the expected bump in processing power and increase in storage capacity. I had accurately predicted that sales would drop this year for Apple, though I honestly do not know what to expect for 2016's iPhone. I think ti will continue to drop in sales, then jump back up again with the 2017 model... that is unless Apple does something unexpected and drop the price for the phone by $100, but let's be real, that will not happen.

4. Scott93274

Posts: 6040; Member since: Aug 06, 2013

I suppose if someone were to have a lonely existence, void of any human interaction, they might use things like news of discontinued OS support as a surrogate for; a real life relationships, or intercourse as a means of something to look forward to. Though Chromebooks outsold MacBooks the first quarter this year and accounted for more than 50% of the computers purchased for the education system in the United States last year, I bet it'll be a long time before you ever find satisfaction as it's still heavily supported by Google.

8. oister85 unregistered

What wrong with chrome I think chrome is one of the best browsers around.

9. MrElectrifyer

Posts: 3960; Member since: Oct 21, 2014

It was a gimped experience on my Surface Pro, had so many issues with it, including all of these mentioned by other users ( http://sck.pm/2sX ). Finally and parmanently dumped it after Edge gained extensions...

Latest Stories

This copy is for your personal, non-commercial use only. You can order presentation-ready copies for distribution to your colleagues, clients or customers at https://www.parsintl.com/phonearena or use the Reprints & Permissions tool that appears at the bottom of each web page. Visit https://www.parsintl.com/ for samples and additional information.