Join the discussion: What would phones be like in 10 years?

Join the discussion
• 1y ago
↵MariyanSlavov said:

Whoa, that's a grim prediction right there...

it is indeed since things are not going well all around the world.

• 1y ago
↵MariyanSlavov said:

There are interesting patents from time to time (actually, they're public), so there's at least a glimpse at what we might expect :))

Ok, we have foldable and rollable phones. Also, cameras where you can adjust aperture, (too)big camera sensor, etc. Maybe there will be some interesting news with S pen?!

I thing that software and apps will be more interesting to follow. :)

• 1y ago

I don’t know what phones will look like in 10 years but we need to hunt down Miles Dyson before Cyberdyne takes over.

• 1y ago

"I know not with what technology phones will use in 10 years, but in 100 years, we will be using sticks and stones."

-Albert Einstein (Probably)

• 1y ago
↵Crispin_Gatieza said:

I don’t know what phones will look like in 10 years but we need to hunt down Miles Dyson before Cyberdyne takes over.

We should be talking to Freeman Dyson instead.

• 1y agoedited

I suppose phones in 10 years would be mostly the same, but I do have a few predictions as well:

• Foldables and regular phones would coexist (30-70% ratio in developed markets)
  • We'll finally have a battery tech to replace (or dramatically improve over) Li-Ion
  • Even tighter integration with cloud services due to faster 5G/6G connections
  • Front cameras on most phones will be under the display
  • Most phones would look and feel about the same (as they do now): same sizes, materials, overall design
  • New naming schemes! Letter + number + Pro/Plus/Max is getting kinda boring IMO
  • Cameras may not get much better, but they should get smaller. Having 3-4 cameras at the back would still be the norm
• 1y ago

I Wait on Rollable.. fold Is good but no for me..

• 1y ago

I guess there will be two camps.

One camp with the non secure and non privacy focused phones. iOS and ordinary Androids. In ten years they will continue being a nightmare from this perspective, but average Joe people will still buy them.

The second camp will be secure and privacy focused phones. For companies that have some form of development, research or other sensitive activities. And ordinary people that want to avoid getting spied on by totalitarian governments. Like US authorities, that already have forced internet companies to reveal users that search for abortion clinics. That is so messed up. My prognosis is that Fairphone will be the first one to release a phone like this, since EU is about to force all manufacturers to become like Fairphone - so Fairphone need a new angle..and that will be privacy and security. And after what Snowden revealed about US gov doings and what the Israeli companies are selling to both Democratic and non Democratic government my crystal-ball is showing more physical switches on the phones. And deGoogled devices that still function OK. Kinda like what we have today on all business-laptops, but on smartphones. The ability to easily physicaly turn off cameras, microphones when not needed etc.

• 1y ago
↵notfair said:

We will be f in 10 years; climate change, fewer jobs because of AI and the discrepancy between the rich and the poor will be higher as it was during feudalism, but now better, it's with AI and tech, nobody will afford phones down the line.

There won't be fewer jobs, just different jobs. The income disparity is an argument I don't believe in anymore, Covid shone a bright light on that one. People aren't going to be bent over as in the past - pay people what they're worth or you'll be picking that tomato yo' damn self. The FTX debacle proved once again that cash is king, long live the king.

• 1y ago

Hopefully an improvement in at least a few respects, but otherwise I have no idea. Foldables are too expensive... well, most phones are too expensive. I am no longer an early adopter, simply because it is too expensive to be one, and so what the phone of ten years into our future will be like is really not something that I can make much contribution to, although I will certainly be watching from the sidelines to see what that ends up looking like...

FCC OKs Cingular\'s purchase of AT&T Wireless