Join the discussion: What would phones be like in 10 years?

Join the discussion
Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 1y ago

I think augmented reality and AR glasses will inevitably change the game and turn our phones into connection hubs in our pockets. We should move away from the touchscreen as an interface and to something more intuitive and fast—eye movements, blinking, etc. But it sounds like science fiction at the moment...

• 1y ago

In 10yrs

-Charging speeds won't be a huge selling point, everything will charge in less than 30 min

-4k screens will be the norm with 2k screens being "budget/value/lite"

-Gaming phones will get it right with the camera (better Software/hardware) & be the top phones year after year

-There will be a such thing as a Streaming phone. Think front ring light, lapel mic etc.

-There will be more phones that docks into a DSLR Frame. Like the Xiaomi 13 Ultra but more mainstream for vloggers

-The post processing & on device editing in videos & photos will be almost desktop like.

-Under display front cams will be the norm

-Device security will be WAY better

-Wearable devices will have more sensors & there will be some new standard where you can send a health report to your Dr

• 1y ago

We will be f in 10 years; climate change, fewer jobs because of AI and the discrepancy between the rich and the poor will be higher as it was during feudalism, but now better, it's with AI and tech, nobody will afford phones down the line.

• 1y ago

When I look at Samsung Note (1) and S23 Ultra, there are not so much radical changes. Bigger battery, faster processor, bigger screen, ... Everything is new, but it is the same old Note.

We (readers) don't have access to labs that make new phones, so... ...without that kind of info, we cannot predict future. ;)

Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 1y ago
↵notfair said:

We will be f in 10 years; climate change, fewer jobs because of AI and the discrepancy between the rich and the poor will be higher as it was during feudalism, but now better, it's with AI and tech, nobody will afford phones down the line.

Whoa, that's a grim prediction right there...

Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 1y ago
↵drenk said:

When I look at Samsung Note (1) and S23 Ultra, there are not so much radical changes. Bigger battery, faster processor, bigger screen, ... Everything is new, but it is the same old Note.

We (readers) don't have access to labs that make new phones, so... ...without that kind of info, we cannot predict future. ;)

There are interesting patents from time to time (actually, they're public), so there's at least a glimpse at what we might expect :))

• 1y agoedited
↵drenk said:

"Everything is new, but it is the same old Note"

Not even a little bit. The first Note (compared to the S II) was literally just a big ass Android phone with a stylus that provided features that were only available on the Nexus (screenshots & some other feature that I can't remember), bigger battery & slightly better processor. There wasn't really a gap between the Galaxy Note & Galaxy S (as well as other Android phones in general) until the Note II/S3 & it kept growing from that point until the Note 7 recall, then dwindled a little; but there are still major differences.

• 1y ago

I think the UDC will be perfected, but that's about it. Definitely nothing close to the Tony Stark holograph projecting phones.

Victor Hristov
Victor Hristov
Phonearena team
• 1y ago

I love these types of discussions! So... 10 years both seems like a lot and also not really.

Obviously, technology will be even more ubiquitous and we will engage with it more often. These are the areas which I think will witness the biggest changes:

1. Cars and mobility - the switch to electric cars will come along with a switch to a smarter car that can drive itself, and that will of course be sold as a subscription. The micromobility revolution with e-scooters and e-bikes will transform the urban environment for the developed countries.
  2. AI will start to make a real big mark on society in ways we cannot quite imagine yet. This will be a wake-up call for strict regulation.
  3. Smartphones will remain mostly the same - the fundamentals will improve, foldable phones will become way more common
  4. Hopefully, we get to see some breakthrough in personal health and fitness. Smartwatches will play an essential role, but we need the kind of "personal healthcare" breakthrough that we had with "personal computing"
  5. AR - I expect this to remain a niche for the next decade. Technology will develop slowly, smartphones will remain our main device.

Overall, I am most excited about the evolution in mobility, smartwatches as well as a new kind of personal health insights.

• 1y ago

Not sure what phones will look like but I'll tell you what i don't want. I don't want a duopoly like what exists here in America. I'd like healthier competition so that futuristic techy phones and other amazing forms of connectivity can be developed and adopted. I'd like for numerous operating systems to be present so we can have more options and alternatives to pick from. I just want many healthy options to pick from.

FCC OKs Cingular\'s purchase of AT&T Wireless