Debate: How much storage do you need on a phone?

Join the discussion
• 7mo ago
↵scubastevie said:

With Cloud storage, you really dont need anymore than 256 on device.

Talk to me how great cloud storage when you're out of a range of tower, low reception, you're unable to connect to wifi or you ISP goes down at home. Cloud storage is great, as long as you have a connection. 128gb is too small, so is 256gb. 512gb probably the bare minimum to allow me to put some music on my phone.

• 7mo ago
↵AltronLivez51 said:

If you using cloud storage than you're not very smart. Buy an external USB thumb adapter an stick a 1TB sdcard in it. Be way cheaper than cloud.

Oh wait, and iPhone can't use external drives. Ha!!!! Sucks for you!!!

Cloud is more convenient. Plus, even if I was an iPhone user, I would know that there are plenty of options, even using the lightning port, that I could stick an external adapter to the phone to save or transfer files, and now with USB C that is even easier.

• 7mo ago
↵IceHawk said:

Talk to me how great cloud storage when you're out of a range of tower, low reception, you're unable to connect to wifi or you ISP goes down at home. Cloud storage is great, as long as you have a connection. 128gb is too small, so is 256gb. 512gb probably the bare minimum to allow me to put some music on my phone.

I am not away from service like that, and when I do go on trips to places where reception is spotty, I download what I need for that trip. 256GB is plenty for that. Any more and you're over compensating.

• 7mo ago
↵AltronLivez51 said:

With 2TB? About $1800 will be my guess.

Yeah, you could be right! But a foldable costs about 1700.00 with much less storage and RAM so if I am ever going to spend that kind of cash on a phone...it will be the S24U before any fragile foldable. YMMV

• 7mo ago
↵Attila91 said:

I was shooting 23 minutes in 4K, and I still believe 2 TB is overkill.

Ok, now times that by 100-200 as when we upgrade our phones we tend to copy everything over. Rinse & repeat that several times & hopefully you can see why the space can be necessary.

Pls keep in mind, I never suggested that everyone should have or need 2TB, but if we don't have access to for Micro SD support we should at least have up to a 2 TB option.

• 7mo ago

256 is the safe spot especially if you take lots of videos and pictures. Surprisingly enough I filled up my old OnePlus 7 Pro back in the day using Filmic for so many videos and stuff. My 128gb S22 Ultra filled up pretty quickly as well but I offload the files to an SD card reader.

• 7mo ago

No discussion needed. If you had a Simtray that can hold a Micro SD card, then you can have as much storage as you need without paying an arm and a leg for it. 2tb Micro SD Card from Walmart is selling for $15. Way more storage than a phone can give you today, and for less too!

• 7mo ago

Personally I would prefer 1tb of space, but I am not paying for 1tb prices, I will simply use 256gb or 512gb and download more often.

All my raw photos are 50mb in size and that equates to around 300gb,

I have a dozen games probably totalling another 60gb, call of duty mobile alone is 25gb all in.

I have perhaps 20gb of airdrop (Import) files, probably 60 apps at around 10gb, I shoot a lot of video in 4k60, and I also use Pro Res for some works and boy that EATS up storage SUPER quick, 6gb for 1 MINUTE of footage, hence why the 128gb version is limited.

The IOS eats around 20gb.

This isn't the average user phone, and so plenty of people could easily do with 256gb, although I think the sweet spot right now for flagships should be 512gb, given the prices of these devices nowadays.

• 7mo ago
↵MikeManic said:

No discussion needed. If you had a Simtray that can hold a Micro SD card, then you can have as much storage as you need without paying an arm and a leg for it. 2tb Micro SD Card from Walmart is selling for $15. Way more storage than a phone can give you today, and for less too!

There is no way on this earth that a 2TB micro SD card retails for $15, in fact I will tell you for a fact that 2TB micro sd cards do not even EXIST yet, although prototypes have been in development since lace last year.

• 7mo ago

I'd love to be able to purchase a phone with at least 2TB of storage. That would be ideal for me. But sadly 1TB is all I can find on a foldable nowadays.

FCC OKs Cingular\'s purchase of AT&T Wireless