Debate: Do you think you're addicted to your smartphone? Why?

Join the discussion
• 9mo ago

Methinks that the real issue is that 63% of the Yankees are liers.

• 9mo ago

since 2020 i am using same Samsung f41 phone. i charge my phone once in 2 days. i mostly on my laptop. not addicted actually.

Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 9mo ago
↵StanleyKubrick said:

I use my "phone" (mini-communications computer) as a tool not a toy. However, there are those who are glued to their screens. I grew up with land lines...no such thing as an answering machine, and black-and-white TV with 3 channels! I was NEVER in the house except to eat, bathe, and sleep unless the weather was atrocious. The danger is for young people today who sit in the house all day staring at a screen...that's who we need to worry about.

I share the same childhood. We used maps, Landlines for setting dates (you had to be on time), and we had 2 tv channels no vcr, no nothing. Simple times. Not better, just different.

• 9mo ago
↵MariyanSlavov said:

The question is “Should we be concerned?”

Haha, I guess we should be concerned, but I think we all have a lot of other more pressing issues to be concerned with than how long we use our phones.

• 9mo agoedited

Signs of addiction:

Walking around in public with your head down and buried in your phone

Using your phone while driving, being a death threat to motorcyclists and other motorists

Using your phone at meetings when you should be paying attention to whoever is speaking

Waking up at intervals during the night to check your phone

Excusing the use of your phone in any of those scenarios by saying you can do them and be safe at the same time 😉

• 9mo ago
↵MartyLK said:

Signs of addiction:

Walking around in public with your head down and buried in your phone

Using your phone while driving, being a death threat to motorcyclists and other motorists

Using your phone at meetings when you should be paying attention to whoever is speaking

Waking up at intervals during the night to check your phone

Excusing the use of your phone in any of those scenarios by saying you can do them and be safe at the same time 😉

People that use the phone to text while driving should be in jail, they are a big danger for anyone around em.

• 9mo ago

8-5 M/F I use my phone as a tool for work. Weekends, barely touch it. After/before work, rarely use it.

But, I was born in the 50's before all this technology. I'm up on the tech (since that is my job), but after

work, phone sits on the charger til bed, then on my night stand POWERED OFF until morning.

Plus, I have my email program set to not announce new email from 5:30pm until 7:00am M-F and stay off

during the weekend.

If an email comes and I don't check it on the home pc, it can wait til the next morning or on Monday.

I swear, you could walk down a college campus during class change, in a scary clown outfit, carrying

an axe, and 3/4 of the students would never see it.

Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 9mo ago
↵Magma said:

I would say definitely. We get too wrapped up in convenience every time a new technology comes out without asking “Are there short or long term consequences to using this new tech?”

Take one of the Facebook engineers a few years ago that regretted the design choices and KNEW changing such things as the notification alerts from blue to red would cause people to incessantly check their messages when they saw that color. That is one tiny example per this engineer that knew they were manipulating the mind of the user and it would start to erode the fabric of society.

Anyone remember when CNET used to report SARS rating(iirc on the name)? Essentially measuring the radiation output of new phones back in the early 2000s. That disappeared by the time the iPhone was released. What happened to such reporting? As far as I know, there is still controversy on the subject.

Soo many examples but it easier to ignore because it’s fun, convenient and we can’t think beyond new is always better.

From my experience, new isn't always better, especially when it comes to cars (and phones, too). My old Nokia E51 was built really well in Finland, and cars prior to the 2000s also had much higher-quality parts designed to last much longer.

I think you can get SARS ratings for modern phones, there's a regulatory body to scrutinize this (FCC comes to mind, you can search in their database), but you're right, no focus on SARS in 2023. That's mainly because, as far as I know, the SARS ratings of modern phones are pretty low on the current 4G/5G networks.

Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 9mo agoedited
↵pacattack81 said:

Haha, I guess we should be concerned, but I think we all have a lot of other more pressing issues to be concerned with than how long we use our phones.

That may be true but then again, people are concerned with how many Instagram followers they have :)) I agree, we should fix many other things first, like poverty, fossil fuels, malnutrition, and obesity (ironically)...

Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 9mo ago
↵Rocket said:

This is what I think, If you can't let your phone charge to 100% without using it, you have a problem.

Go find some help to the nearest "Anonymous phone addicted office"

Fast chargers?

FCC OKs Cingular\'s purchase of AT&T Wireless