Debate: Do you think you're addicted to your smartphone? Why?

Join the discussion
Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 9mo ago
↵MartyLK said:

Signs of addiction:

Walking around in public with your head down and buried in your phone

Using your phone while driving, being a death threat to motorcyclists and other motorists

Using your phone at meetings when you should be paying attention to whoever is speaking

Waking up at intervals during the night to check your phone

Excusing the use of your phone in any of those scenarios by saying you can do them and be safe at the same time 😉

"Waking up at intervals during the night to check your phone" this one sounds pretty damn serious!

• 9mo ago

I'm completely addicted to my android experience. That is all

• 9mo ago

I think I speak for most of the adults in the room when I say that we depend on smartphones for the bulk of our jobs. For most of us that's easily 8-10 hours per day so if you factor in sleep, we're using or at least "attached" to our phones for half of our waking hours. I wouldn't call that an addiction but rather a forced servitude. It's kind of like that old adage about the difference between being "involved" and "committed" is like a bacon and eggs breakfast. The chicken was "involved" in that breakfast whereas the hog was COMMITTED to that MFer.

• 9mo ago

I'm on my computer far more, but since a lot of work has gone online, I spend a fair amount on my phone. I still prefer sitting in front of computer because of how comfortable it is.

• 9mo ago

I'm hooked to the gills.

• 9mo ago

Not addicted at all. I use it for work and for myself. However, all my house is controlled through my phone, so if I were to lose it, it would definitely be a problem. I also use my phone as a car key, so I got to have that. It goes into DND mode at 1030pm till 530am with only a few family members being an exception. The other work phone is set up in similar fashion for people who can contact me after hours due to the nature of my work.

FCC OKs Cingular\'s purchase of AT&T Wireless