Debate: Do you think you're addicted to your smartphone? Why?

Join the discussion
Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 8mo ago

Personally, I thought I was doing alright with 12 hours away from my phone at least a couple of times a week, but the more I think about this, the more I'm inclined to admit that I fall into the same 37% of people who manage only a few hours without their digital drug. Sad.

• 8mo agoedited

The only time I go more than a few hours without looking at my phone is when I'm asleep. I would imagine most people are the same way.

Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 8mo ago
↵pacattack81 said:

The only time I go more than a few hours without looking at my phone is when I'm asleep. I would imagine most people are the same way.

The question is “Should we be concerned?”

• 8mo ago

No, I am not.

This is why it is able to stay away from charger for more than 48h.

• 8mo ago

This is what I think, If you can't let your phone charge to 100% without using it, you have a problem.

Go find some help to the nearest "Anonymous phone addicted office"

• 8mo agoedited
↵MariyanSlavov said:

The question is “Should we be concerned?”

I would say definitely. We get too wrapped up in convenience every time a new technology comes out without asking “Are there short or long term consequences to using this new tech?”

Take one of the Facebook engineers a few years ago that regretted the design choices and KNEW changing such things as the notification alerts from blue to red would cause people to incessantly check their messages when they saw that color. That is one tiny example per this engineer that knew they were manipulating the mind of the user and it would start to erode the fabric of society.

Anyone remember when CNET used to report SARS rating(iirc on the name)? Essentially measuring the radiation output of new phones back in the early 2000s. That disappeared by the time the iPhone was released. What happened to such reporting? As far as I know, there is still controversy on the subject.

Soo many examples but it easier to ignore because it’s fun, convenient and we can’t think beyond new is always better.

• 8mo ago

"Do you think you're addicted to your smartphone? Why?"

No, I know I'm addicted to my smartphone. Why? Because I can't put it down. I know I'm capable of doing it & do so when I'm out to eat w/ my wife, on vacation & at functions, but I still use it. A lot.

• 8mo ago

I'm becoming less and less addicted every year. There's a slight jump when I upgrade my phone every 2 to 3 years.. but it quickly tapers off.

• 8mo agoedited

No. I use my smartphone for calls (of which I make maybe 4 a month) and for my Android Auto (primarily for music streaming and Google maps). Now my tablet gets maybe 4 hrs of use per day. It is WIFI only and gets used for playing a few games when I am bored, for weather and news, and reading emails and texts. While I am not sure whether this constitutes addiction is debatable based on your definition of the word.

• 8mo ago

I use my "phone" (mini-communications computer) as a tool not a toy. However, there are those who are glued to their screens. I grew up with land lines...no such thing as an answering machine, and black-and-white TV with 3 channels! I was NEVER in the house except to eat, bathe, and sleep unless the weather was atrocious. The danger is for young people today who sit in the house all day staring at a screen...that's who we need to worry about.

FCC OKs Cingular\'s purchase of AT&T Wireless