Debate: Curved vs Flat displays?

Join the discussion
Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 11mo ago

Personally, I'm a flat-screen guy! I can't stand the curved sides on the screen of any phone; not only do they hamper normal screen operation, but they also dig into my palm, make the display fragile, and distort the image. Why keep up with this nonsense?

Stanislav Serbezov
Stanislav Serbezov
Phonearena team
• 11mo ago
↵MariyanSlavov said:

Personally, I'm a flat-screen guy! I can't stand the curved sides on the screen of any phone; not only do they hamper normal screen operation, but they also dig into my palm, make the display fragile, and distort the image. Why keep up with this nonsense?

I support this statement! I see curved screens simply as an opportunity for more mishaps. ? And I'm very happy that they are not as prominent as they used to be!

• 11mo agoedited

Flat screen all the way. However the S23 ultra's curved display is not very curved. Maybe it's the best balance between flat and curved?

Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 11mo ago
↵pacattack81 said:

Flat screen all the way. However the S23 ultra's curved display is not very curved. Maybe it's the best balance between flat and curved?

Still, I don't see the purpose of even that kind of gentle curve. I remember 2.5D glass when it came along, it was all the rage, maybe that's the perfect compromise...

• 11mo ago

I love me my flat screens...

But curves can be very tempting

• 11mo ago

Definitely flat!

• 11mo ago

Flat all day long!!!

• 11mo ago
↵MariyanSlavov said:

While I agree with everything else that you said, I don't see how a curved display digs into your palm. I've had 5 devices with curved displays (Note 7, S7E, Note 8, Note 10+ & S22 Ultra) & none of them have dug into my palm. Meanwhile, 5 minutes into holding my 14 Pro Max (without a case) & I have to put it down.

I'm not sure how a rounded edge can dig into your palm compared to a flat edge.

• 11mo ago
↵MariyanSlavov said:

After my S8 (protected by a case) fell right on the 45⁰ of the unprotected edge of its curved screen and cracked, I never bought another phone with curved screen.

• 11mo ago

The only reason I prefer the curved display of my S22 Ultra compared to the flat sides of my 14 Pro Max is because the latter becomes difficult to hold after 5 minutes. On the other hand, when I hold my wife's S22+ compared to my Ultra, I've never once thought to myself, "Man, I'm sure glad my display's curved compared to this flat mess!"

I really don't get why Samsung keeps making curved displays.

FCC OKs Cingular\'s purchase of AT&T Wireless