Secret Apple-Samsung talks fail; patent trial II is still on
The meetings between Apple and Samsung are the second time that both sides have tried to work out their differences by talking things over. Judge Koh had demanded that both sides try to work out an agreement back in 2012, but those meetings did not lead to an agreement.
Without either Samsung or Apple giving in, it is hard to see how these talks will succeed, even though they are being conducted at the highest level between Apple CEO Tim Cook and Samsung co-CEO J.K. Shin. Recently, Nokia and HTC reached an agreement to end litigation between the two firms after the Finnish based Nokia won four injunctions in Germany against HTC. The two firms will share their patents and HTC will make a payment to Nokia as part of the deal.
source: ZDNetKorea, MKNews, TheVerge via SlashGear
1. Ashoaib (Posts: 3014; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
Samsung should infringe all apple patents in those countries where apple cannot sue... in usa there is no way for samsung to win any case regardless of right or wrong
6. Taters (Posts: 6344; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
That is the problem. That isn't right and USA law should be better than that...
11. lyndon420 (Posts: 3254; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
Boycott the patent office. Maybe bring in some 5th graders to run things instead.
18. Ashoaib (Posts: 3014; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
Sometime I get amazed how frequently uspto grant patents to apple, even sometime on those ideas which sound so obvious or crazy
2. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1873; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
Could someone just tell them to stop it already? All that money spent in legal battle, they could have been using to develop a new type of battery that could holds twice as much electricity by now...
9. Finalflash (Posts: 2452; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
I am actually kind of happy that Apple is stuck fighting Samsung and not any weaker Android OEM. Otherwise look what happened to HTC.
26. Taters (Posts: 6344; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
They went after HTC too but HTC bitched out and just settled because they didn't want to deal with the lawsuits anymore. Let's not kid ourselves. Apple will go after 2nd place soon whether it's Huawei, Lenovo, or Sony. It's just a matter of time. Apple has this complex where they truly believed that they invented everything.
3. alrightihatepickingusernames (Posts: 474; Member since: 29 Dec 2013)
Because screw the consumers! Right?
4. newbey123 (Posts: 519; Member since: 19 Mar 2012)
How about Sammy stop stealing other peoples ideas. Problem solved.
5. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10223; Member since: 14 May 2012)
If you think that's the reason they still in court, you need to read more.
8. Finalflash (Posts: 2452; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
That's the problem dude, he can't read, it's a vicious cycle. He can't read cause he's illiterate and he's illiterate cause he can't read.
32. SleepingOz (unregistered)
LMAO! You made my day, sir!
16. tedkord (Posts: 8321; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Yeah, why can't they come up with their own stuff, like Apple did with slide to unlock. Oh, wait. I meant with notification center. No, that's not it. It was using screens... Oops. Grid of icons? Quick toggles? OTA updates?
I know there was something...
22. androiphone20 (Posts: 1654; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
Apple, Dyson and the Canadian Uni, yup you're right there buddy don't mind the fanboys. They're still going to jizz themselves with BS, it's out there noone deserves to be blind
24. androiphone20 (Posts: 1654; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
Sorry, with reference to Google's android or touchwiz? If the former then I guess it should be Google vs Apple, and 'cause Samsung's skin is all about S-whatever and gimmicks
25. Taters (Posts: 6344; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Apple is getting sued by a lot of companies too. They should know better by now but unfortunately they have self entitlement issues and stupid people like you that agree with them.
28. androiphone20 (Posts: 1654; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
Baahaha!... oh my god, you're serious. Have you ever considered a career in comedy?
29. christophersalse (Posts: 99; Member since: 19 Jan 2014)
I don't think he could compare with clowns like you.
31. androiphone20 (Posts: 1654; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
So you're the wife, nice to meet you
33. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10223; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Why do you even bother commenting when all you do is troll? No one likes you lol...
34. Cicero (Posts: 773; Member since: 22 Jan 2014)
How about you fo not belive that Apple invent the wheel (circle, square, color green etc.)
14. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Apple wants Samsung out of the Android business - plain and simple - and, it makes sense....you frustrate Samsung to the point where they feel it is not worth sticking around and by doing that you screw with Android...reminds me of how the mafia did business...hmmmmm
19. alrightihatepickingusernames (Posts: 474; Member since: 29 Dec 2013)
Not worth sticking around with Android? That's their money maker buddy. And all of these court fees just go to the prices, making them less competitive, hence why you shouldn't take any side with these legal battles.
21. joey_sfb (Posts: 4759; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Samsung is a fighter. It's better this way when you face a bully. Look what happen to HTC that yearn! Lose respect and open themselves up to much smaller bully. Lol!
27. Taters (Posts: 6344; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Lol Yeah HTC is getting raped hard from all angles by Microsoft, Nokia, Apple, Ericsson etc.
I am curious to see just how razor thin their profit margins are after paying everyone extortion fees.
Extortion is actually the best way to describe what Apple is trying to do. Amazing how many idiots agree with the extortionists though.
20. androiphone20 (Posts: 1654; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
Tim: Pay what you owe us, or you're heading for a world of hurt.
The Other Guy: No.
30. tedkord (Posts: 8321; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Tim: Pay us $20 per device for things we copied off others and we'll pay you .1 cents per device for actual tech you developed.
The Other Guy:...
Tim: Haha. No, just kidding. We want your competition removed. We have no interest in negotiating.