Pictures and video display more information on the camera, screen and audio of the Sony Xperia Z2
In the meantime, we have a number of photos for you to look at, some of which relate to the camera on Sony's new flagship Android device. And there is also an 18 second video that displays the SteadyShot feature on the rear snapper. You also might remember that many believe the smaller, lower resolution screen on the Sony Xperia Z1 Compact offers better viewing angles and color reproduction than the screen on the Xperia Z1. Some of the pictures below deal with the superior 5.2 inch Triluminos display on the Xperia Z2. And one slide shows that both devices will awaken with a double-tap to the screen, similar to LG's Knock On feature.
The Sony Xperia Z2 is one of the devices that has captured plenty of attention from smartphone fanatics. You can check out all of the pictures and the video in the slideshow below. When you're done with that, why not take another look at our hands-on with the device.
Sony Xperia Z2 camera, display and pen stylus input Fullscreen
More popular slideshows
Did you know: 5 interesting facts about Android L
20 Jul 2014, 10:02
Sony Xperia Z2 camera, display and pen stylus input
Thanks for the tip, Johny!
source: ePrice (1), (2) via XperiaBlog
1. TheLoyalist (Posts: 18; Member since: 11 Feb 2013)
Have to emphasize that the 'knock on' feature is NOT an LG thing but a Sony Tablet thing from the beginning...many seem to think that is the case.
11. tango_charlie (Posts: 73; Member since: 16 Nov 2011)
If i am not mistaken the Knock on feature is a Nokia thing. First Seen with the Nokia n9.
14. ArtSim98 (Posts: 2194; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Yep my N9 has it. I don't actually use it but anyway may be useful to some.
26. rd_nest (Posts: 683; Member since: 06 Jun 2010)
Sony never took anything from others. Only Sony knows how to innovate, rest all copy Sony's innovation.
30. LiyanaBG (Posts: 288; Member since: 07 Nov 2013)
really Sony copied HTC dual speakers. so don;t say they never took anything from anyone else get your facts together.
31. khizarali08 (Posts: 3; Member since: 08 Feb 2013)
Front stereo speakers is not a new innovation, it's been with us for generations. What kinda speakers do you have on your television? If you consider mobile industry then yes it is a new thing but not an innovation to be specific.
41. sbw44 (Posts: 361; Member since: 04 Dec 2012)
My old Nokia N81 also had front stereo speakers, might not be this loud but front stereo it had. The same with the N96 and N97
42. RuanRez (Posts: 1; Member since: 06 Mar 2014)
Well, my 2011 Xperia PLAY has dual speakers. Anyway, as khizarali08 said, stereo speakers has been used for many years. It's not exactly an innovation of any smartphone manufacturer.
46. romeo1 (Posts: 174; Member since: 06 Jan 2012)
Even the w995 had dual speakers. But dual front speakers was started by nokia i think
56. GTR722 (Posts: 222; Member since: 20 Oct 2012)
WTF...Sony PSP...stereo speakers....sony walkman with dual speakers from 1990 too...
58. AnukulVcool (Posts: 116; Member since: 02 Jun 2012)
yo kid have you ever heard of walkman phones ?
59. docxx (Posts: 63; Member since: 27 Feb 2014)
Sony made their first dual speakers long time before HTC was not existing ;)
2. sakurorhino (Posts: 47; Member since: 28 Feb 2014)
Really Sony delivered all of its best Tecnology expertise in Xperia Z2
No matter what HTC comes up with further
4. tech2 (Posts: 1753; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Nice to see such an open-minded person
9. Martin_Cooper (Posts: 365; Member since: 30 Jul 2013)
So if HTC bring a phone with better camera, better audio, better screen, better looking than Z2 you will go off a cliff?
10. Hyperreal (Posts: 126; Member since: 08 Oct 2013)
how can u assume that when you dont know all specs, features and performance of upcoming htc one? thats stupid and 100% pure fanboizm.
23. rd_nest (Posts: 683; Member since: 06 Jun 2010)
Nice to see Sony trolls everywhere.
Even when you're trolling, you get so many likes.
53. roscuthiii (Posts: 1785; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
It's a Sony article... So this is the place for Sony fans. Trolls is entirely the wrong term. At worst, the proper term would be shills.
The more you know...
27. Aploine (Posts: 125; Member since: 24 Oct 2013)
LG 's screen on photo 11 gives more tonal gradations in any color (except deep blues upper left)
47. rgxVOiD (Posts: 432; Member since: 30 Aug 2012)
Yep. Judging a screen clarity from a photo. Always accurate.....
50. Aploine (Posts: 125; Member since: 24 Oct 2013)
I just say what I see. On the other hand someone could say that even this not so good photo can show that.
3. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5528; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
So, what is Sony's SteadyShot? OIS? Or? Is it available with stills as well as video? The world wants to know.
Lastly, is Sony going to release their new toys on just T-Mo in the U.S.? Or, all 4 major carriers at the same time?
12. tango_charlie (Posts: 73; Member since: 16 Nov 2011)
It is just Software stabilisation not Hardware ois like found in some lumias and the G2.
22. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
So, what is Sony's SteadyShot?
Sony has many version of SteadyShot like Super SteadyShot (SSS), SteadyShot INSIDE (SSI), Optical SteadyShot (OSS) and Balanced Optical SteadyShot.
But the SteadyShot in Z2 is 3 way digital image stabilization basically they try to imitate 3 axis OIS and its only works in Video.
The digital technique requires the pixel count to be increased to allow the image to move on the sensor while keeping reference points within the boundaries of the capture chip.
For image capture Z2 depends on bright F2.0 lens, high sensitivity sensor and motion detector, it chooses a higher shutter speed to capture blur-free images.
Stabilization comparison of 1020 vs Z1 vs G2
35. freebee269 (Posts: 516; Member since: 10 Aug 2012)
so basically it will not perform well in low light. gotcha.
38. freebee269 (Posts: 516; Member since: 10 Aug 2012)
also, personally i dont like that comparison. who knows if the person shaking the phone shook the phone more for 1 phone than the other? they dont show it. they should have put all the phones on 1 pole then put them all to the test at the same time so that each phone got the same kind of shake at the same time. not each phone getting it seperately.
to me, it looks like the 1020 won that camparison. so do the people in the comments.
i can tell you first hand that the g2's ois is really bad. it doesnt seem any better than the gs4 i used to have. a lot of the time it just seems like there is no image stabilization at all.
40. pwnarena (Posts: 816; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
they actually showed the setup. they have both devices (all xperia z2s) in a stick so movements will be similar to both.
one z2 had the featured turned on while the other had it off.
6. papss (unregistered)
I'm hoping Sony has a hit on their hands.. They need a serious dose of cash right now.
release it on all carriers aony
7. GMS85 (Posts: 155; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
Each time they're saying "say goodbye to blur" :/ I need a real camera compraison between this, samusung, htc and the monster Nokia lumia
8. aayupanday (Posts: 453; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
Probably the best smartphone of H1 2014.
13. pwnarena (Posts: 816; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
agree. there's the contest in h2. that's more exciting. let's see what sony has in store. i hope they do the dual camera thing. their 13MP sensors were the ones used by corephotonics+qualcomm in their dual-lens camera setup.
they can up the ante by putting in 3 or even 4 lenses. that should make for highly detailed photos.
16. loveHEAVYMETAL (unregistered)
look at photo #11 z2 screen seen way more saturation than the lg g2
first we already know that lg g2 is the oversaturated display,and the z2 is more saturates ,but z2 display seen little bit brighter
feel bad that more and more oem create a smartphone with over saturation display, lg also join the gang :( now only left htc one,one max display are more accurate(according to colour gamut chart,but still not the perfect display,it was little less saturation )
noted that i am a fans of lg,nokia,oppo,bb,my opinion is based on what i seen,no biased
17. loveHEAVYMETAL (unregistered)
overall the z2 have a big improvement over the z1, well done sony!
21. samraj (Posts: 4; Member since: 04 Feb 2014)
No, I see LG to be more saturated and the colors are even darker..Z2's colors are vivid..Anyhow lets wait for display test which should come anytime soon..Also even HTC is considered to have saturated display according to displaymate sparing only iphone and Huawei's mobile to be having accurate displays..Lets see...
51. loveHEAVYMETAL (unregistered)
it will be darker because the lg g2 only 450+- nits,
52. loveHEAVYMETAL (unregistered)
and why i say z2 is more oversature(noted first,i naver see z2 in real life,all my comment are towards to the pictures #11)
try look closely, z2 red colour is very saturate
and thanks for your reply
28. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
48. rgxVOiD (Posts: 432; Member since: 30 Aug 2012)
Because judging a display is color always accurate from a badly taken photo
19. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 2606; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Idk about this one, but that all new one's camera gonna fail miserably. Remember the htc one's hyped ultrafailure(oops i meant pixel) camera last yearl, and one x's dedicated isp failed. Experimenting is okay but gimmicks no especially looking at their current condition
29. limporgyuk (Posts: 135; Member since: 06 Nov 2013)
Was quite tempted by this phone until I saw a full review of it on Youtube by GadjetJM
32. majp89 (Posts: 92; Member since: 18 Jun 2013)
To add fuel to my hate for my Z1 it won't turn on anymore for no reason even though it was charged to 100%. Avoid Sony like the plague, garbage products.
33. zachattack (Posts: 532; Member since: 31 Jul 2013)
At least HTC can put their device on the four major carriers *looks at sony* way to not put the best device of the year on verizon Sony, bad choice
36. PANIC (Posts: 14; Member since: 06 Mar 2014)
Although i used to be a loyal Samsung fan for many years now, S5 dissapointed me Big Time!!! I am going for the Z2 this time
37. HTCOE (Posts: 406; Member since: 20 Nov 2011)
i doubt it gets released to all carriers which will continue to halt their success but nice phone i'm just not a fan of the brick design and feel in my hand
43. darkskoliro (Posts: 935; Member since: 07 May 2012)
Hope they ditch TFT forever. Their TFT displays are awful.
45. vipervoid123 (Posts: 72; Member since: 27 Aug 2013)
Their Flagship will not have TFT display again ~
TFT display might only on entry-device ~
49. darkskoliro (Posts: 935; Member since: 07 May 2012)
Their LED technology looks better than Samsung's...maybe I will be willing to try if their white screen doesnt have a tint
44. techperson211 (Posts: 423; Member since: 27 Feb 2014)
Well I'm happy about Xperia moving forward with technology unlike the ifruit logo going backwards.