Phones with Flappy Bird installed are now luxury items on eBay
Flappy Bird might be dead in its tracks, but the Internet will make sure it gets the last laugh. Some smartphone owners are looking to capitalize on the rare few who are yet to play the infamous game, but will never be able to (unless they get the free .ipa or .apk file off the web). Flappy Bird-loaded handsets have shown up for sale on eBay, priced as luxury items.
At the time of writing, a 16GB iPhone 5 with Flappy Bird pre-installed, which started at $750, is now worth a mind-boggling $99,000. Unsurprisingly, most of the sum is artificially inflated with old-fashioned exploits, as one can tell by the bid history. Apparently, on the road to madness, someone bid, and later retracted an awe-inspiring $400,000! The once-free Flappy Bird has now become a game not for those from the 1%, but for those from the 0.1%!
Frankly, we aren't sure what else such an obscene amount of cash can get you on eBay. Also, hold on to your seat, because we're only at the tip of this iceberg. Another iPhone, located in Italy, is currently worth an unimaginable $163,428! And another one out there falls just $13,428 short of that sum.
In case you've let go, hang on even tighter. We find an iPhone that's worth $544,758. We'll take two! But no, at this point, the sensible thing to do is to stop and quietly rethink life thorough. Yet, we just had to keep on going. Further down the eBay listings, we discover a wide range of Flappy iPhones worth between $4000 and $70 000 (the $4000 one stands out as a killer deal in these circumstances), before Android phones start showing up, at comparatively modest prices.
A silver 32GB HTC One on Sprint with Flappy Bird installed can be bought for a healthy $4900. A 32GB Nexus 5 with a "genuine copy of Flappy Bird" on-board can be had for $3000 + $45 postage. Same goes for the James Bond-touted Xperia T, although shipping from Croatia will run you only $14. A black 32GB Galaxy Note 3 on Verizon with Flappy Bird will cost $3400, if you buy it now. And a water-resistant Galaxy S4 Active on AT&T is priced in the lower iPhone ballpark, at $4825.
If we thread further down the eBay listings, we'll be caught in an endless loop of phones, over-priced to ensure the Flappy Bird madness won't end anytime soon.
1. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3561; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
I suspect this is a hot item for 40 year old virgins who haven't missed a comic-con convention in the past 20 years.....
19. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
Hey, iResent that, I'm not 40yrs old!!
I would like to add, though, this is another legitimately positive affirmation for Android, since it's an "open-source" OS, I just downloaded the APK from Kick@ss Torrents and installed on my Galaxy Note 2; no need to root, jailbreak or iEbay.
24. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3561; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
Lol!!... And, yes.. That's cool you were able to do that...
33. sgtdisturbed47 (Posts: 182; Member since: 02 Feb 2012)
This whole thing just reminds me of what Rick Harrison from Pawn Stars would say: "That's what they're asking for it, that's not necessarily what they're selling for".
2. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3227; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
This is just MADNESS. SERIOUSLY?! Just how stupid can people be? It's a freaking game that isn't even anything special!!! And there are many clones out there WHY WOULD YOU BUY THE GAME FOR 400 000 DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!!!
9. Finalflash (Posts: 1881; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
They didn't, the bid was retracted, someone probably trolled the guy.
12. buccob (Posts: 1548; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
I admit I installed the game that night before they took it away...
But how can this get so valuable when you can just extract the .APK file out of your original copy...
I "backed up" just in case...
Though never crossed my mind selling my phone for this ridiculous ammount of money... And the app is not nearly as popular in my country...
4. Nikolas.Oliver (banned) (Posts: 1574; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
Only on ebay, some people are really being a douchebag
6. AppleHateBoy (unregistered)
7. beedeezy14 (Posts: 12; Member since: 17 Dec 2013)
Wait, soooo Dumb as...I mean potential customers are buying these phones? I wonder what my phone is worth. LOL I only need enough to by my Oppo Find 7! LMAO
38. mrblah (Posts: 539; Member since: 22 Jan 2013)
I wonder what i'd get for my 3gs w Flappy on it?!
8. Shatter (Posts: 2031; Member since: 29 May 2013)
If you have the superior android just install the APK which you can find online and it will be there forever.
13. av911 (Posts: 151; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Exactly. I downloaded the APK before is was taken off.
23. androiphone20 (Posts: 1514; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
Haha, if you have an iphone you can install the .ipa file
15. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1647; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Yes, your phone has gone up 10000% in value just for having Flappy Bird installed :P
11. PorkyBurger (Posts: 250; Member since: 18 May 2013)
YES, I can sell my luxury Flapp'd Galaxy Ace 2. I am going to be rich. 99$ RICH. YES~! I knew this day woud come
16. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1647; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Haha, remember when Twinkies were gone? It will come back, this guy would be crazy not to or even sell it if this s**t is happening
17. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5638; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
wow, i kind of want to get in on this.
i'm sure some rich bloke would jump on my perfect condition 64GB iPhone 5S with the game on it.
21. ChafedBanana (Posts: 360; Member since: 20 Sep 2011)
None of those prices are bids. They're mostly buy it now. Very few are auctions.
22. osanilevich (Posts: 245; Member since: 29 Sep 2009)
Doesn't the Iphone have anything similar to APKs where you can just grab the file and download?
26. livyatan (Posts: 738; Member since: 19 Jun 2013)
Waaaiiit..so I installed this game on my Note 3 , the day I heard it will be taken down from the store.
And I still have it .
DOES THIS NOW MEAN I CAN SELL IT AND GET FUNKING RICH? ?
27. domfonusr (Posts: 372; Member since: 17 Jan 2014)
How do we, as a society, get to be so childish with such large sums of money?
29. KingDingaLing (Posts: 324; Member since: 11 Oct 2013)
Who wants to buy an iPad 2 with Flappy Birds installed? Cmon, I'll give you a great deal. Only $5k for a limited time. I'll even throw in a sweet case, a charger, and a bag of Skittles.
30. alrightihatepickingusernames (Posts: 430; Member since: 29 Dec 2013)
Looks like you can't "delete" it now >:)
Unless you have Android of course.
31. microsoftnokiawin (Posts: 1025; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
too bad iphone doesn't have apk deb or armv7l
34. BREvenson (Posts: 211; Member since: 17 May 2012)
I'd bet you could find the apk of this online somewhere, unless the developer has had all sources of the game pulled. Plenty of excitable people who feel that they'll NEVER, EVER get to play this game again unless they pay a ridiculous price for a phone they might not even want because it has that game on it. It could be a Backflip or ChaCha with the game on it, and it could still probably go for four figures on eBay.
Then again, I never played the game. Not a big concern on my part, though.
35. CX3NT3_713 (Posts: 2004; Member since: 18 Apr 2011)
Lol , wow,, what moron would bet on that?
36. philipjfry (Posts: 7; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
Why is this a story. Just because a price tag of $1,000+ doesn't mean it's a hot item when nobody is buying.
39. joseph5452 (Posts: 1; Member since: 04 Apr 2014)
Well I might just have to sell my HTC one because it has it installed