Brian White: Apple has no worries as the Google Nexus 7 is just another Android tablet
which was built more to take on the Kindle Fire than the Apple iPad. Both the Google Nexus 7 and the Amazon Kindle Fire are 7 inch Android tablets priced at $199.99. Google had said it was going after the low end of the market and that is where the Amazon Kindle Fire lives. Android users who are used to the OS will probably favor the Nexus 7 since the tablet will contain Google's applications unlike the Kindle Fire. For example, if Amazon Kindle Fire users want to watch a YouTube video, they have to go to the mobile web site since the tablet lacks Google apps like YouTube. On the Google Nexus 7, the OS includes a YouTube client.
According to Andy Rubin, the Google Nexus 7 was rushed. He noted that the project went from "from zero to working product in four months." Jonney Shih, the CEO of ASUS, the company that built the tablet, said that his engineers told him the project was "like torture," and said about Google, "They ask a lot." The Google Nexus 7 team was split up around the globe and had a 24-hour development cycle, according to Shih.
1. wendygarett (unregistered)
Thumb up!!!! If you want nexus 7
Thumb down!!! If you want surface tablet
Reply!!!! If you want an iPad
2. nicholassss (Posts: 358; Member since: 10 May 2012)
What if I want all 3 because I'm that kind of nerd?
14. Mitchel (Posts: 228; Member since: 25 May 2012)
I love Google, but i gotta give it to iPad.. But Nexus 7 is still great!! :)
18. TheLibertine (Posts: 484; Member since: 15 Jan 2012)
I own a Galaxy Note and i am kinda unsatisfied with the user experience, so it will be an iPad 3 to try something different and get the best of both worlds.
The Nexus 7 ist the best of its kind (and the price tag is fantastic), but i dont like 7-inch tablets.
21. wendygarett (unregistered)
LOL then why would you pick 5.3inch at the 1st time...
24. TheLibertine (Posts: 484; Member since: 15 Jan 2012)
Good question. I simply thought bigger = better and was also very spec-oriented, thats why i chose that monster :).
33. AFnerdTP (Posts: 86; Member since: 15 May 2012)
i want both the nexus and surface.
also, totally irrelevant, but if that is your picture, you're too hot to be here
46. Sangeet (Posts: 232; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
If you want all three i.e. Nexus 7, Surface and the Ipad then thumb this up..!!
3. biophone (Posts: 1896; Member since: 15 Jun 2011)
It doesn't looked rushed. If there isn't a major flaw in this tablet android should gain marketshare lead due to its low price point. Which is what they are going for. Why apple goes for profit. Everyone wins and the fanboy wars live on.
4. adi4u4882 (Posts: 135; Member since: 10 Jan 2012)
Google has just pissed us off!
No Google Play support in India!
Which means no pre order for us.
I was waiting for this table for more
than 2 months.
Google is going to have many unsatisfied
customers in India.
9. ananya22 (Posts: 93; Member since: 23 Apr 2012)
dont be so angry bro i am sure you'll be able to buy it soon enough. just keep an eye out for it on ebay. google play will support india soon so we'd be able to order tv shows and movies and nexus devices like the people in U.S. its the price we pay for not being born in the u.s.
12. adi4u4882 (Posts: 135; Member since: 10 Jan 2012)
I wish so.
But currently the price of the $200 tab is $400.
I guess waitimg is the only option.
And i don't blame India for this.
Its just these companies who does not give
importance to us.
I hate Apple but their service is much better than
Google in India.
I guess that's the main reason for better sales for Apple in India.
Anyways Thank You for your concern :)
28. shubhameroit123 (Posts: 3; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
what about nepal,your neighbouring country huh??
26. Devfrost (Posts: 5; Member since: 24 Mar 2012)
we exprience the same fate bro. I'm from indonesia that don't have support from play store. But a quick search in ebay yield this
though it's like 50 dollar more expensive but a small price to pay to get it a few months faster
36. saiki4116 (Posts: 363; Member since: 31 Mar 2011)
Galaxy nexus too was not released in India,because samsung wanted GS3 to sell more..
5. ananya22 (Posts: 93; Member since: 23 Apr 2012)
its absolutely wrong. though nexus7 is not a straight competitor to ipad and i personally would buy the new ipad rather than the nexus7 for just 1 reason-apps. for everything else i like nexus7 but as ipad has a lot more quality apps i'd go for it. but here's another thing- nexus7 costs less than half of the new ipad so a lot of people wuld buy it. and android 4.1 is a million times better than ios6 so those people would be quite happy
27. darkkjedii (Posts: 12621; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Afraid of what? Those two tablets aren't even in the same class really.
The nexus is more a competitor for the kindle fire. Apple has nothing to worry about. That's like telling porche to worry about the Altima. Both r great but target a different sector.
7. phil2n (Posts: 476; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
T.T. is now on
for overconfidence apple fan..
10. tiara6918 (Posts: 1534; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
I wonder what the nexus 7 could have looked like if it wasn't "rushed"
11. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
Google going after the low end market is their strategy.
15. Commentator (Posts: 2494; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Awwwww, look at the cute widdle kitty!
...I'm sorry, what were you saying?
38. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
That's a legitimate comment. Do you report all the fandroid trolls on Apple articles as spam?
41. iamcc (Posts: 1319; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
That's a legitimate comment? You mean like how my Galaxy Nexus was more expensive than the iPhone at release? Or how the SGIII is $249.99?
No. That was not a legitimate comment. That was you taking PART of the truth and trolling away with it, like always.
As i've said before... you are a f**king idiot taco.
43. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5647; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
no, Google just realizes that overpricing Tablets isn't going to work for them. remember how tiny the market share for Tablets is? Google will probably gain more profit from selling the Nexus 7 @ $200-$250 a pop than selling a selling a similar 10.1" Tablet for $500+ a pop. unless they're getting on the bandwagon by buying an iPad people don't want to spend that kind of money for a Tablet. it's kind of like Beats by Dre vs. the rest of the high-end Headphone Industry. i'm willing to bet that Apple will release an iPad Mini for $300 by the Holidays to respond to the Nexus 7 and the like.
13. darktranquillity (Posts: 284; Member since: 28 Feb 2012)
The tablet that apple treated as just another android tablet.
16. GuiltyBystander (Posts: 199; Member since: 05 Mar 2012)
Never underestimate your competition.
20. lzsbleach (Posts: 155; Member since: 20 May 2012)
It seems like they dont aim to make profit off of it. I hope there breaking even with this or making a little profit. Even then I hope it works just as good as they say because I would never buy a kindle fire but I would buy this.
22. jacko1977 (Posts: 400; Member since: 11 Feb 2012)
i ordered 2 Nexus 7's and i would order a 10.1 if they bought 1 out and the ipad is just an overpriced oversize ipod touch
and ios crashs more then android
i had more reboots in my old ipod touch then i ever had on android and i used android since it came out
23. jan25 (Posts: 418; Member since: 26 Feb 2012)
personally i don't see the practicality in tablets, high end phones can do almost every thing a tablet does. a 200$ tablet though is very tempting for what it has to offer and this is where the Nexus 7 can catch up to the IPad.
29. iamcc (Posts: 1319; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
My thoughts exactly.
THIS JUST IN: Brian White is an idiot!
31. rasinhussy (Posts: 87; Member since: 28 Dec 2008)
Isn't Brian White a country singer? What's he doing making silly comments like these.
32. reccatyo (Posts: 7; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
I think the nexus 7 is going to kill ipod touch, same price but more of almost everything. Screen gpu size etc. :p
37. whothisperson (Posts: 102; Member since: 06 May 2012)
"Google has no expectations of making money with the sale of the tablet as Rubin said that units sold on the Google Play Store are sold with no profit margin added. "
How unselfish of Google, they are purely out to spread technology to the world.
39. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
How anti competitive of Google. They're undercutting competition.
44. wassup (Posts: 565; Member since: 23 Jun 2011)
HOLD UP HOLD UP HOLD UP...
you actually want to pay... MORE for something? O.o
no wonder you're an iOS user.
PS why should you care if it's 'undercutting' competition? you're getting a comparable product for less O.o
42. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5647; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
this makes absolutely no sense.
if the Kindle Fire is successfully tackling the iPad and the Nexus 7 is a more compelling alternative over the Fire wouldn't it stand to reason that the Nexus 7 is more than capable of competing with the iPad? xD
45. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6736; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
No worries? It's FREAKING 199$. look at the Kindle Fire. it sells just as much as the iPad does. and with QUAD CORE. and to let this analyst know APPLE doesn't INNOVATE.
47. chemhaz (Posts: 160; Member since: 04 May 2012)
I'm not buying one becase it cost $50 more in Australia, Sammy all the way.