Our source has tipped us from the very start that we should not expect any hardware customization for the phone. This has been confirmed by the ABC News report today. Our tipster also has told us to expect a 720 x 1280 resolution on the display, a Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro processor under the hood and a large battery. The report from ABC pointedly called the device a mid-range model, something that we have been doing since benchmark tests revealed that the Moto X is not a high end model designed to compete with the Samsung Galaxy S4, Sony Xperia Z, LG Optimus G and the HTC One, as originally thought.
ABC is reporting that a version of the Motorola Moto X with Android 4.2.2 is currently undergoing carrier testing. This will be the first phone designed from start to finish since Google purchased Motorola in 2011. All other models had been in various stages of development in the Motorola pipeline. To make sure that it is shipped out to buyers in a timely fashion, the phone will be manufactured at Google's 500,000 square foot facility in Texas. Motorola spokeswoman Danielle K. McNally said that 2,200 new positions will be filled at the factory, which is located in Fort Worth. A full page ad that leaked on Tuesday has been published today in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal and USA Today.
The Motorola Moto X is expected to come equipped with sensors that will know when you are driving and launch the speaker phone automatically. Motorola CEO Dennis Woodside has also alluded to a sensor that will allow the camera to know when you are going to take a picture and fire up the snapper automatically.
It certainly seems that we are getting closer to the introduction of the phone, which could launch as soon as next month.