Join the discussion: What's the worst phone you've ever owned?

Join the discussion
Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 1y ago

I remember my second job (I was a content manager at some god-forgotten site) and the joy I felt when I got the news they were about to give me a work phone. Little did I know I would suffer greatly with the said phone. It was a Lenovo A1000, and to say it was a budget phone is a huge understatement.

It was plasticky, ugly, and so slow that I quickly gave up and returned it to "Accounting" to punish some other poor soul with it.

• 1y ago

This is a love / Hate relationship - Palm Pre.

Loved the OS and usability.

Replaced 2 under warranty. The hardware sucked and they just failed.

When the third one died, got an HTC Hero.

• 1y ago
↵topdownat4 said:

I also used the Palm Pre as a work phone for a few weeks. It was lovely! But yeah, I think it eventually stopped turning on.

• 1y ago

HTC Pure - Slow, Laggy, Ok camera for the time it came out

Samsung Focus (Windows Phone) the worst decision i ever made

• 1y ago

In 2009 I got an HTC Touch Pro 2 Windows Mobile-based smartphone with a slide-out keyboard. The display was beautiful, but it just stopped working a year later. The few third-party apps that were available were glitchy. If you forgot to exit an app, it would just keep running in the background draining the battery. Fun times!

• 1y ago

When I was in high school and just got into Android, I bought BLU phones because they were cheap. God awful in retrospect. I remember buying one from a store and taking it home only for the screen to go blank, No drops or accidents. Immediate return. They used parts bin specs and crappy (back then) Mediatek socs, generic cameras that were trash, and the battery would die at like 10%.

On a more positive note, those days made me an iOS believer. I used to detest apple (never owned one) until a friend gave me his old iPhone 3gs. I was impressed at how smooth it was and how it held up for such an old phone. Got it jailbroken and had lots of fun. Remember back then android was a hot mess in comparison. These days everything is good.

• 1y agoedited
↵BullaBoss said:

When I was in high school and just got into Android, I bought BLU phones because they were cheap. God awful in retrospect. I remember buying one from a store and taking it home only for the screen to go blank, No drops or accidents. Immediate return. They used parts bin specs and crappy (back then) Mediatek socs, generic cameras that were trash, and the battery would die at like 10%.

On a more positive note, those days made me an iOS believer. I used to detest apple (never owned one) until a friend gave me his old iPhone 3gs. I was impressed at how smooth it was and how it held up for such an old phone. Got it jailbroken and had lots of fun. Remember back then android was a hot mess in comparison. These days everything is good.

"Remember back then android was a hot mess in comparison."

Not taking anything away from the iPhone/iOS, but I'm a firm believer that Gingerbread being a shi??y Android version no matter which OEM made the device & AT&T losing their exclusivity with the iPhone were a huge part of its success back then. That & the design of the 4 from the 3GS.

• 1y ago
↵NickTodorov said:

In 2009 I got an HTC Touch Pro 2 Windows Mobile-based smartphone with a slide-out keyboard. The display was beautiful, but it just stopped working a year later. The few third-party apps that were available were glitchy. If you forgot to exit an app, it would just keep running in the background draining the battery. Fun times!

I used to repair that phone so much when I worked at the Sprint Service & Repair Center. I would always think, "This phone is beautiful but boy is it shi??y!". I mainly liked it because of Bubble Breaker. ?

• 1y ago

You've heard me say it before, but going from the Note 7 to the S7 Edge was the worst phone year of my life. The Note 7 was better* in every way & me constantly trying to click on the bottom of the phone to pull out the S-Pen made it evident that I was a Note guy. Verizon was gracious enough to let me upgrade after a year & 2 months of originally upgrading from the Note 4 to the Note 7 & couldn't get out of the S7E fast enough!

Honorable mention: Motorola Droid X2. Not so much the phone as I loved going from the Droid 2 w/ a keyboard to the Droid X2 w/o one, but that phone is tied to the shi??y Android Gingerbread experience. The screen would literally pixelize right before my eyes. It's like it was an 11 year old preview of that TikTok filter where shi?t is pixelated & then the clear image appears. A soft reset was the only way to fix it.

*Yea, I know. But it really was.

• 1y ago
↵topdownat4 said:

And to think (even though she was most likely paid to say it), Angelina Jolie referred to the Pre as the "iPhone Killer"*. It was a good phone, but it was also up there with the most replaced phone (HTC Touch Pro 2) at the Sprint Service & Repair Center. A virtual keyboard would've been nice, but Palm was still competing with RIM back then & not Apple.

*Oh, and remember when Samsung called the Instinct the "iPhone Killer"? ??????

FCC OKs Cingular\'s purchase of AT&T Wireless