Join the discussion: Does the Pixel Fold stand a chance against the Galaxy Fold?

Join the discussion
Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 11mo ago

This battle will be tough, especially with this price tag! I don't think Google will be able to make a substantial difference with the first-gen Pixel Fold, but the successors could be primed to kill ;)

• 11mo ago

I don't think Google will be able to make much of a dent in the segment with the Pixel Fold. Samsung has a headstart of several years in the foldables market, and its phones have a much broader availability. Google sells its phones in only a handful of countries. I believe that's their main handicap, and they can't overcome it easily...

• 11mo ago

Yes. It will do well. In fact, I like the flat fold and form factor. The price will come down and it will get a sales boost like most other pixels.

• 11mo ago

With the Fold5 around the corner, this thing doesn't stand a chance. It'll retain its current dimensions WHILE distancing itself even further from the Pixel Fold in the weight department. Better processor. Better battery efficiency. Same price.

However, it DOES have a place in the market, and the competition will keep Samsung on its toes; but the price is going to have to come down.

• 11mo ago
↵MariyanSlavov said:

This battle will be tough, especially with this price tag! I don't think Google will be able to make a substantial difference with the first-gen Pixel Fold, but the successors could be primed to kill ;)

True.

• 11mo ago
↵MsPooks said:

With the Fold5 around the corner, this thing doesn't stand a chance. It'll retain its current dimensions WHILE distancing itself even further from the Pixel Fold in the weight department. Better processor. Better battery efficiency. Same price.

However, it DOES have a place in the market, and the competition will keep Samsung on its toes; but the price is going to have to come down.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it wouldn't stand a chance because its price will come down by the time the fold 5 launches.

• 11mo ago

I agree with everyone to me though the battery is a big question "sink or swim"?

Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 11mo ago
↵Ouroboros said:

I don't think Google will be able to make much of a dent in the segment with the Pixel Fold. Samsung has a headstart of several years in the foldables market, and its phones have a much broader availability. Google sells its phones in only a handful of countries. I believe that's their main handicap, and they can't overcome it easily...

Right on point! Availability is a huge problem for Google devices.

• 11mo ago
↵Ouroboros said:

Availability is a big problem, especially the inability to take advantage of the complaint. Foldables are fragile, the possibility of damaging the internal screen is high. In Poland, Samsung has Care +, whose services I used for Galaxy Fold 4. What's more, Pixel phones, especially at the beginning, have software problems, and here are likely mechanical problems. I really want a Pixel Fold...but.

• 11mo ago
↵trakk8 said:

I wouldn't go so far as to say it wouldn't stand a chance because its price will come down by the time the fold 5 launches.

I meant in terms of taking significant share away. It'll certainly have its fans, and I don't expect Google to walk away from the concept, but you know how it is: Samsung is the 800-lb gorilla, especially in physical stores.

FCC OKs Cingular\'s purchase of AT&T Wireless