Do you think seven years of software support on the Pixel 8 is overkill?

Join the discussion
• 6mo ago
↵MariyanSlavov said:

Well, what do you know? As it turns out, Google thinks that you, people, are going to use Pixel phones for seven years. One of the hottest topics after the launch of the Pixel 8 series was and still is the super-long software support cycle. What's going on? Most surveys show that people use their phones for around two years before switching to the next model. So, is this a PR move? Or an attempt to beat Apple and Samsung in the numbers game? What do you think about it?

Well , I tend to hang on to my phones. I upgraded from the pixel 3 to the pixel 6. I find that the "1 and done" model irritating as all get out. The length of time for software upgrades is sort of irrelevant to me so long as I can keep the phone for 3 or 4 years with safety. 5 years, or 7, probably costs about the same to Google, and 7 does create marketing buzz like this article and subsequent discussion.

• 6mo ago

Offer it, some will fined it useful. We keep our phones around 5 yrs and that's usually limited by lack of upgrades.

• 6mo agoedited

LOL, Google Pixels are glitchy as hell. No way will a Pixel 8 last 7 years. They are already overheating and slowing down. Just look at reddit and you'll see people returning them in droves. Google knows 7 years might as well be 100 years bc it won't last. A Pixel is arguably the worst Android phone due to crappy hardware at flagship prices. 🤷

• 6mo ago

Is it overkill? To give a straight yes or no answer, probably yes, but even so, it's nice to know that you have that option. Some people don't like changing their phone.

Unfortunately, given that the Tensor chip is not particularly powerful, I think they will start to struggle after 4-5 years.

Still, the best case scenario is that Samsung, OnePlus, Oppo and just about everyone else respond and it becomes the norm. Apple already give about 6-7 years in practice anyway (officially 5 but it's usually more, to give them credit where it's due).

• 6mo ago

Absolutely not! I love that my Pixel 8 will provide 7 years of safe service

FCC OKs Cingular\'s purchase of AT&T Wireless