Do you think seven years of software support on the Pixel 8 is overkill?

Join the discussion
Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 6mo ago
↵Crispin_Gatieza said:

Personally I think 5 years is a reasonable amount of time for product support but it’s great that Google will do 7. It’s foolish to think anyone would hold onto a smartphone for that long so I’m guessing Google wants to brag about activations a couple of years from now. Ford did ad campaigns many years ago touting 97% of F-150s sold in the previous 10 years were still on the road. Never mind that OEM parts were no longer available for some of those trucks nor did it say anything about the trucks still being with the original owners. Imagine the Pixel 14 being released and Google saying “hey, that Pixel 8 you bought back in ‘23 is still going strong and still supported. Imagine how far this one will take you.”

Let's just hope the Pixel 8 will actually be usable a couple years down the road. No point in installing Android 21 if it slows down your phone to a brick. It's an interesting move, for sure. Pixels are still a curiosity and far from mainstream; I'm interested to see this seven-year support in the long run...

• 6mo ago
↵TheRealDuckofDeath said:

It's hypocrisy, smoke and mirrors.

My 16 years old reserve-reserve laptop is still getting free updates and they are always faultlessly and timely delivered every second Tuesday of every month. Started on Windows Vista, got free upgrades to 7, 8, 8.1, 10. What did I pay for that old Acer laptop? Less than 400 bucks.

Promising 7 years of untimely updates, when it was Google themselves who deliberately sabotaged the built-in self-updating design of Linux, to get rich on planned obsolesce in collusion with global network operators, is bollox.

Fix the automatic software updating feature to give everybody over a decade of free updates instead of this. I'd even argue that Google should be put on trial for ecosystem abuse, by delivering zero updates to competitors while selling their own mediocre trash with these nonsense promises. Google needs to be destroyed as an ecosystem leader. Now that they feel like Android can't grow its usage share compared to iOS, they start sabotaging access for all OEMs in an attempt to take the whole Android cake for themselves.

I seriously doubt that Google are on a trajectory of sabotaging all their Android partners and lose overnight their massive global hegemony. Let's not forget that Android is mainly a vehicle for Google to promote their other services, so they have very little incentive to bring Android under only one brand's umbrella. They're just trying to be more competitive to Apple, because they see that Apple, despite its smaller global market share, commands a huge profit percentage. It's a very fine balancing act. Also, as far as I understand, the other Android OEMs have only themselves to blame for delaying Android updates.

Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 6mo ago
↵Feanor said:

I seriously doubt that Google are on a trajectory of sabotaging all their Android partners and lose overnight their massive global hegemony. Let's not forget that Android is mainly a vehicle for Google to promote their other services, so they have very little incentive to bring Android under only one brand's umbrella. They're just trying to be more competitive to Apple, because they see that Apple, despite its smaller global market share, commands a huge profit percentage. It's a very fine balancing act. Also, as far as I understand, the other Android OEMs have only themselves to blame for delaying Android updates.

I'm not sure about the OEMs being the sole culprit for delayed Android updates... Remember the Android One program? Google axed it because it was damaging Android's reputation. I'm not sure how things work between Google and smartphone manufacturers, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are review steps OEMs have to pass before they launch their custom UIs over the latest Android version.

Also, great nickname! It's nice to see a fellow Tolkien fan here :)

• 6mo ago
↵MariyanSlavov said:

I'm not sure about the OEMs being the sole culprit for delayed Android updates... Remember the Android One program? Google axed it because it was damaging Android's reputation. I'm not sure how things work between Google and smartphone manufacturers, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are review steps OEMs have to pass before they launch their custom UIs over the latest Android version.

Also, great nickname! It's nice to see a fellow Tolkien fan here :)

Hahaha, thanks. Though I should probably change it to Fingolfin or Galadriel. :-)))

Maybe 15-20 years ago Feanor would be considered a tragic heroic figure and a strong leader, but under today's climate he'd be rather deemed a bully and a harasser. :-)))

Going back to Android, I understand that Android AOSP is open source and Google doesn't have a legal right to impose controls. However they do have control over Play Services, so it could be that they control the ecosystem through this.

• 6mo ago
↵Feanor said:

Please do provide me a fact-based elaboration on why it is the OEM's fault that Google delivers seven years of updates on Google-branded devices and zero updates for any OEM. This despite the fact that all the OEM "partners" has to pay a per-device fee to get access to the ecosystem.

Like I said, the planned obsolescence structure of Android was design by Google. Not the OEMs. It was designed in collusion with other corporations, like AT&T, T-Mobile, Vodafone and such. It was designed with the single purpose of forcing customers to buy new devices, as often as possible, from said network operators. Forcing customers to sign up to new contracts as often as possible.

So, to beat your own chest saying, "we offer seven years of arbitrary updates on our devices now", while keeping the operating system exceptionally cumbersome to keep up to date for everybody else is ecosystem abuse. Google needs to be prosecuted for this, not congratulated.

Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 6mo ago

Please do provide me a fact-based elaboration on why it is the OEM's fault that Google delivers seven years of updates on Google-branded devices and zero updates for any OEM. This despite the fact that all the OEM "partners" has to pay a per-device fee to get access to the ecosystem.

Like I said, the planned obsolescence structure of Android was design by Google. Not the OEMs. It was designed in collusion with other corporations, like AT&T, T-Mobile, Vodafone and such. It was designed with the single purpose of forcing customers to buy new devices, as often as possible, from said network operators. Forcing customers to sign up to new contracts as often as possible.

So, to beat your own chest saying, "we offer seven years of arbitrary updates on our devices now", while keeping the operating system exceptionally cumbersome to keep up to date for everybody else is ecosystem abuse. Google needs to be prosecuted for this, not congratulated.

I don't think it's necessarily Google's fault. With custom UIs, companies have to integrate all those custom features before rolling out the update to their users. We don't know when the new and clean Android OS becomes available to those OEMs; chances are pretty soon after the official launch.

I think it would've been the same situation if Apple offered iOS to other manufacturers.

• 6mo agoedited
↵MariyanSlavov said:

I don't think it's necessarily Google's fault. With custom UIs, companies have to integrate all those custom features before rolling out the update to their users. We don't know when the new and clean Android OS becomes available to those OEMs; chances are pretty soon after the official launch.

I think it would've been the same situation if Apple offered iOS to other manufacturers.

That is a weak excuse. Like I said, Windows devices has no problems getting updated despite the relatively hard lockdown on UI csutomisation in Windows, OEMs can still preload and tweak pretty much anything they like. This does not break automatic Windows updates.

Like I've said three times now. Google deliberately removed any ability from Linux to allow OEMs (or more importantly device owners) to get anything updated automatically. This cleansing of integrated updates is so complicated that Google has only used two variations of the Linux core the last 15 years. Blaming an OEM or a user for that cynical behaviour is one of the main reasons I think it is time for authorities to prosecute Google over this. Especially as they get to run these cynical chest beating nonsense adverts, saying Google is the only entity in the world able to deliver seven years of updates.

The state of iOS is marginally better, as they also abuse arbitrary software features to end support for legacy devices. The most notorious was Siri, which is a cloud-based app not needing any local processing power. iOS is definitely not something to lean on to excuse what Google and network operators have colluded to deliver.

• 6mo ago

The pay-for-play fee you speak of is paid to Microsoft, not Google. It is a licensing fee for the use of Microsoft’s FAT32 file system, nothing else. Not all OEMs pay it either. By allowing Microsoft to install their Office products on their devices, Samsung doesn’t pay the fee.

This type of cooperation is nothing new, BlackBerry needed curved edge displays for their Priv phones so they bartered with Samsung who needed their systems secured. Voila! BlackBerry gave Samsung “Knox” and the Priv became the first secure BlackBerry Android.

• 6mo ago
↵Crispin_Gatieza said:

The pay-for-play fee you speak of is paid to Microsoft, not Google. It is a licensing fee for the use of Microsoft’s FAT32 file system, nothing else. Not all OEMs pay it either. By allowing Microsoft to install their Office products on their devices, Samsung doesn’t pay the fee.

This type of cooperation is nothing new, BlackBerry needed curved edge displays for their Priv phones so they bartered with Samsung who needed their systems secured. Voila! BlackBerry gave Samsung “Knox” and the Priv became the first secure BlackBerry Android.

Google is charging up to $40 per sold device in Europe:

European OEMs will have to pay up to $40 per device to have Google apps (androidauthority.com)

They have also had other types of fees. They are also know to punish and threaten manufacturers thinking on forking Android, selling them without Google's datamining apps preinstalled. It is not free, no matter what you think. Looking at how much they charge per device in Europe, that forced app install generates a ton of money for Google by itself.

Your reference to Samsung and Blackberry doing business has absolutely nothing to do with this.

Point is, Google is raking in billions on OEM devices, directly or indirectly. Yet, they do not treat OEMs equally in any way. For the fourth time, forcing them all to use software designed to be hard or unprofitable to keep up to date while they market themselves as the "king of updates" is nothing but ecosystem abuse.

• 6mo ago
↵ArdmAnn said:

Smartphone users and reviewers has been complaining and pleading for long term software support and now to yield to users pleading and setting an example for as a good software company and smartphone manufacturer who take user experiences seriously they gave us longer software supports than the rests in the industry and yet we are still complaining it overkill and we don't need it, little do we forget these phones will still be used and purchased by millions years after their release. Hypocrisies of Humans

I think you missed a comma around the last portion lol

FCC OKs Cingular\'s purchase of AT&T Wireless