Debate: USB-C on iPhone 15? What do you think about it?

Join the discussion
• 8mo ago

That just won't happen. Apple would just completely get rid of it in the iPhones or think of something else. Lightning is superior, more compact, sturdier.

• 8mo ago
↵bananab said:

That just won't happen. Apple would just completely get rid of it in the iPhones or think of something else. Lightning is superior, more compact, sturdier.

"Lightning is superior, more compact, sturdier."

Not in the least, especially when you say "more compact". LOL. They're the same damn size. And do know how many raggedy ass Lightning cables I see compared to Type-C cables? This comment is definitely inaccurate.

• 8mo ago
↵iphoneknowitall said:

The new usb-c on Apple phones could cause the battery to explode if charged for too long. This would cause the owner to get a new phone with the jacked up prices they are claimed to have. I do not think this new charger port will sustain the needs of Apple.

"The new usb-c on Apple phones could cause the battery to explode if charged for too long.

The asininity of this comment is uncanny.

• 8mo ago
↵IskraPetrova said:

Yes, very good point! Would you say that you see no disadvantages in getting rid of the Lightning cable? The point I made is so far the only one I was able to come up with, apart from just missing the good old Lightning (I may or may not miss it, most probably won't though) 😄

Remains to be seen if Apple will implement some kind of limitations with non-Apple-certified cables as rumored. That may force you to use your own cable instead of any other USB C one, even if it's a good quality cable...

• 8mo ago
↵cactuarknight said:

PA is the only "tech" site that is drooling over any changes in fruit companies that they could call "innovative".

in·no·va·tive adjective - (of a product, idea, etc.) featuring new methods.

The change to USB-C on the iPhone is a new method, ergo, it is innovative.

Iskra Petrova
Iskra Petrova
Phonearena team
• 8mo ago
↵bananab said:

Rumors and leaks point to the fact that the iPhone 15 could come with USB-C. Of course, that's not official information, but the EU's law to mandate the USB-C has been approved. Interestingly enough, the USB-C charging port is going to be mandatory in 2024 for phones sold in Europe, according to the legislation. Instead of switching to USB-C, what do you think Apple can do?

• 8mo ago
↵IskraPetrova said:

Personally, I'm inclined to welcome the change. However, I can see where this can be slightly less convenient in the short term. If not all people hop immediately on the iPhone 15 train - for sure some of my friends and family won’t, that would mean I can’t charge my USB-C iPhone using someone else’s iPhone cable (like, if I go to my parents’ house..) so I’ll need to bring my own.

I feel like unless you're going to be there for a long amount of time, like say a work shift, you shouldn't have to worry about needing to charge your iPhone 15.

For me, it's the opposite. If I get the 15 (this year or next year), I'd have to keep a Lightning cable around for whenever my parents & mother-in-law come to visit because they're using the 12, X & 8, respectively.

• 8mo ago
↵IskraPetrova said:

Yes, very good point! Would you say that you see no disadvantages in getting rid of the Lightning cable? The point I made is so far the only one I was able to come up with, apart from just missing the good old Lightning (I may or may not miss it, most probably won't though) 😄

"Would you say that you see no disadvantages in getting rid of the Lightning cable?"

For my case use, I see only advantages in getting rid of the Lightning cable. I can transfer files to & from the iPhone (15) faster with my Type-C SD card adapter & only have to take one type of charging cable whenever I travel.

• 8mo ago
↵IskraPetrova said:

Personally, I'm inclined to welcome the change. However, I can see where this can be slightly less convenient in the short term. If not all people hop immediately on the iPhone 15 train - for sure some of my friends and family won’t, that would mean I can’t charge my USB-C iPhone using someone else’s iPhone cable (like, if I go to my parents’ house..) so I’ll need to bring my own.

if someone has literally any other apple product other than iphone... macbook, ipad, let alone any electronic manufactured since 2015 they use USB C. I'd be shocked if you are in a spot where you can't find a cable to charge your phone.

• 8mo ago

Lighting is one (of many) barriers keeping me from switching to iPhone. I welcome the change. Apple always made charging their devices more difficult with non-standard (but not better) solutions to things. That said, I know they are going to find a way to gimp USB-C, as that is the Apple way. I would just like to be able to move to taking 1 charger with me. We were promised this when USB-C was implemented, and we still haven't seen it take effect because of all of these different standards. Lighting was innovative.... 10 years ago. It's time to move on

FCC OKs Cingular\'s purchase of AT&T Wireless