Debate: How much should a flagship phone cost?

Join the discussion
Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 7mo ago

Given how companies are spamming models each year (sometimes twice a year), they can't expect us to keep throwing $1000 every year or every two years. In my opinion, a flagship phone should cost $599–$699 at most, while midrange phones should be around $300-$399.

• 7mo agoedited

This all started with Apple when they increased the price of the iPhone 10 by $200. I told my friend at the time that it will make all other phones go up in price, and it did. I put it down to Apple company greed, they knew they had enough zombies to get away with it. Smart phones have almost become necessary and I believe will become totally necessary in the next few years. Banks and governments are moving in that direction.

I think an iPhone Pro Max cost about $400 to build, added cost for iPhone propaganda which is big in the US. That can only add $100 to $150 a phone. Tim Cook when asked why he thought $1000 for an iPhone was good and people would buy them, he said, "Most people buy them on credit, and payments are spread over two years"

I think Tim Cook getting bonuses of $1 billion dollars is excessive.

• 7mo ago

$700 MAX for the top end flagship. As it was always meant to be.

• 7mo ago

I thought for sure there was a debate just like this one a month or so ago.

• 7mo ago

Yes the prices are NOT in line with reality...but then again reality is relevant! If, you play your cards right, you should never have to pay full price for any so-called flagship! Now if you are determined to buy at full price on day one then, well....you're probably going to pay full price. But with the fact that these things really do not change hardly at all from year-to-year getting last years model - OMG - is the better bet and will save you $$$$$$$. Or, many mid-range models are more than capable for 99% of what 99% of end users even need! So if you can get trade in discounts, or freebies or sell the previous model on Swappa then in most cases you will not pay even close to what the OEM's are trying to get out of you. YMMV

• 7mo ago

A flagship should be no more then double its bill of materials cost, so for the S23 Ultra and iPhone 14 Pro Max base models it should be around $900, this would put phones like the Fold Z5 and competing foldable phones in the $1300 range for retail.

In an ideal world a phone really shouldn't be costing more then $800 given that most of the hardware is cheap as chips and most of the software is simply carried over with a few tweaks to it, but then again, chip makers are absolutely creaming smartphone makers, Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 processor was selling for around $180 per unit which is just bonkers Vs apple A16 Bionic at $110 per unit

• 7mo ago

I'll pay whatever my next foldable costs no problem.

• 7mo ago

I don’t care what the flagships cost or anything in that matter. I purchase within my calculated and set budget. Honestly buying a regular iPhone for example or FE Samsung model, you get 85-90% of goodness of their pro/ultra model.

don’t forget that todays regular model was yesterdays pro model - and somehow everyone survived with the last years pro model last year.

Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 7mo ago
↵ErikOiseaux said:

I don’t care what the flagships cost or anything in that matter. I purchase within my calculated and set budget. Honestly buying a regular iPhone for example or FE Samsung model, you get 85-90% of goodness of their pro/ultra model.

don’t forget that todays regular model was yesterdays pro model - and somehow everyone survived with the last years pro model last year.

That's an interesting take... It's true about iPhones, but what about Android? I don't think the Galaxy S23 has anything to do with the S22 Ultra...

Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 7mo ago
↵poptart said:

I'll pay whatever my next foldable costs no problem.

Do you believe foldables are here to stay?

FCC OKs Cingular\'s purchase of AT&T Wireless