Samsung decides not to try and ban the iPhone 4S in Korea, gets a March 2012 hearing in Australia
One of these places is Australia, and the judge just ruled that the preliminary hearings are over, and the Samsung vs Apple lawsuit will be held in March 2012, while Apple demanded August so it has more time to prepare. Justice Annabelle Bennett, however, concluded that next summer is too late, and said she will give the exact date in March later this Friday.
With the Californian lawsuit also panning to happen next year, we will have plenty of entertaining snippets from both sides for the foreseeable future, and should go long popcorn producers.
via ChosunIlbo & AppleInsider
1. itsius1 (Posts: 49; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
LOL.... cuz apple is still buying their processor?
4. Dr.Phil (Posts: 1015; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
Why waste time trying to get a device banned when you are beating them in sales? I mean if you look at South Korea, Apple only holds 18% of the overall share while Android holds a 48% share. And if what you are deducing was true then they would have dropped their lawsuits in other countries.
14. Gemmol (Posts: 659; Member since: 09 Nov 2011)
android 48% is more then one android manufacture meaning not one of them hold 18% which is pretty high for apple they only made 6 or 7 phones if its less then that sorry I never bought one but even if it had 6 or 7 iphones look at HTC & Samsung im sure they drop 20 phones together a year or more not adding other manufactures
15. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
in korea the SGS2 is beating the iphone4/4s by huge margins. Samsung IS korea. They have a huge national pride thing going on. the iphone has never been that strong in korea.
outside of america apple does not enjoy the same success in many countries. Id say its an american pride thing for some too, but i have never once heard that arguement made by a single iphone user.. so its not.
30. biophone (Posts: 1900; Member since: 15 Jun 2011)
I like the fact my iPhone was made in America. It wasn't the only reason of me buying one but its a factor.
42. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
umm.. exactly which part was made in america again?
46. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
lol cant believe some still think the iphone is made in america!
48. htcisthebest (Posts: 8; Member since: 15 Nov 2011)
iPhone is made in China, please get your facts straight.
49. htcisthebest (Posts: 8; Member since: 15 Nov 2011)
And if the iPhone is indeed made in America, I doubt if its sales figure would even made into the top ten, as labor and wages in America are so expensive which would push up Apple's cost of production and thus have to raise the price of iPhone even more ridiculously higher to the extent that consumers are reluctant to buy the iPhone.
50. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
can you imagine what the iphone would cost on a 70% profit margin if it actually had to.. PAY... its employees??!?!? lol that would be like a $3000 phone
2. The_Miz (Posts: 1496; Member since: 06 Apr 2011)
Or because Apple is too powerful for them to fight.
6. Dr.Phil (Posts: 1015; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
Considering that Samsung would have Google to back them up (and if any WP7 devices were challenged, Microsoft) I don't think it was because of that. Samsung earns 220 billion dollars in revenue vs Apple's 108 billion dollars. Not to mention, that Apple is dependent on Samsung for its processors.
16. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
or because samsung is more honorable than apple's pettiness and doesnt want to be exactly like them.
31. gallitoking (Posts: 4704; Member since: 17 May 2011)
really?... so Samsung is only being honorable in their home turf?.....
"similar lawsuits it has launched against the fruit company anywhere Apple is suing it too."
43. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
if your going to act honorable, where better than your own home turf where you know you have an EXTREME upper hand?
If you dont think samsung would win with their eyes closed in a society where Samsung makes everything from the house you live to your phone, runs your electricity and employs something crazy like 1/5th of the population either directly or indirectly... against a western company that is seen as a bully... well.. u got some reading to do.
28. sgogeta4 (Posts: 393; Member since: 02 Feb 2011)
Another thoughtless and baseless Miz comment.
3. Jericho (Posts: 302; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
Cant understand why apple does childish things sueing others for no reason.
11. rf1975 (Posts: 253; Member since: 01 Aug 2011)
If you closely looks at Samsung mobile form-factor history, then you can see that they indeed copy some of apple and other manufacturers design. but the current situation is, both Samsung and Apple have gone beyond the limit. This will not benefit for anybody.
5. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
Another victory in the legal battle's with Samsung. Apple is striking a blow for justice around the globe. Samsung should stop copying and compete with innovation.
12. jacko (unregistered)
apple dont innovate it copys
23. Sniggly (Posts: 7291; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
So... you learned absolutely f**king nothing from being suspended, right?
Your comment shouldn't be dignified with any further response.
26. Jobes (Posts: 364; Member since: 27 Oct 2011)
And he hasn't learned a thing... Same comments expected from him as before.
8. Jericho (Posts: 302; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
copying huh then it means every manufacturer should stop copying lg because they made the first touch phone.
10. itsius1 (Posts: 49; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
didnt HTC was also known for making the 1st tablet phone with their shift, it was never decided to be release in the states though...
13. rf1975 (Posts: 253; Member since: 01 Aug 2011)
Yes, but HTC started producing touch screen phones long before shift, for companies like HP, Q-tek, i-mate and some others.
9. ardent1 (Posts: 2000; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
Or the fact that if Sumsung lost in Korea, it will look real bad. Better take the high road and understand that discretion is the better part of valor.
18. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
u really think samsung would lose a patent war.. in korea... against an american company that isnt well liked?? lol. apple would have to have one heck of a case.. which they dont, because they admit to breaking the patents. Its an open n closed case.
Ever hear of something called honor? yea, didnt think so.
32. gallitoking (Posts: 4704; Member since: 17 May 2011)
they have honor and defend their company.,.. we dont have that here.... learn from them... remix...
35. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
Then why are they afraid to go to court?
17. Packer29 (Posts: 56; Member since: 10 Sep 2011)
Samsung doesnt have a chance with their lame lawsuits Apple has won theirs because they actually have a case.
19. Packer29 (Posts: 56; Member since: 10 Sep 2011)
Point taken but overall lawsuit for lawsuit Apple has come out ahead so far.
20. Packer29 (Posts: 56; Member since: 10 Sep 2011)
All and all though the patent thing is out of control on all sides of the fence!
22. abdane (Posts: 490; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
i quick 3 thumbs down for your horrible 3 comments which have absolutely no meaning; is officially done ! ^_^ thank you, come back again :D
21. ivanko34 (Posts: 617; Member since: 04 Sep 2011)
Samsung is the most human and intelligent company
Only weak and idiots need the help of justice or other dirty tricks as patents on nothing
24. Sniggly (Posts: 7291; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Well, Apple's attempt to delay the lawsuit until it just won't matter anymore (August? Seriously? Only two months before the next iPhone? Lol) just got bitchslapped down. However, it sucks that they won't be stopped before this holiday season is over.
25. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
they need to set the date for january 5th or so. let them get banned at the beginning of Q1 2012, which is the strongest part of the quarter. make my bet that much easier.. lol
33. gallitoking (Posts: 4704; Member since: 17 May 2011)
I ask Siri on my phone and she said.. "no way Apple gets banned....ever...
36. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
How do you too see this as a victory for Samsung? They just outright gave up.
37. Sniggly (Posts: 7291; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
This is where reading comprehension would help you tremendously, Taco. It says they dropped the suit in Korea, where they're kicking the iPhone's ass in sales anyway. They are continuing lawsuits where they'd be more effective, like Australia, where the judge declined Apple's request to push the trial for Samsung's claims against them back to August.
I was commenting more on the latter part of the article.
38. gallitoking (Posts: 4704; Member since: 17 May 2011)
i see you dont question the article when is in your favor Sniggly... hmmmm hope your reading comprehenmsion helps you on other articles
39. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
I still don't see any victory for Samsung here. A victory would be that a judge rules in their favor which had happened several times for Apple already and none for Samsung.
"bitch slapped"? Fantasy world I guess.
41. Sniggly (Posts: 7291; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
The judge DID decide in Samsung's favor by setting the trial date for March instead of August. Apple obviously wanted the August trial date so they could minimize damage to 4S sales, as the iPhone 5 would either already be released or only two months away from release. However, the judge was like "no f**kin' way!" before setting the trial date for August, jumping up and revealing himself to be Bon Scott, back from the dead, before rocking out with a similarly resurrected Ronnie James Dio and a breakdancing kangaroo.
Australia has way more awesome courts than we do.
Oh wait, that was me slipping back into my fantasy world. Guess you were right, Taco. ;)
29. Tre-Nitty (Posts: 462; Member since: 16 Nov 2010)
Remixfa, Dude how much is Samsung paying u to promote their products. Companies just love consumers like you. Free advertising and you obviously buy their products. I'm just saying.
40. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
Remix has an unhealthy obsession with Samsung. He also makes up "facts" to support his arguments and ignores real facts.
45. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
and amazingly all these style comments come from the biggest apple trolls on the site. really?
actually, i only have a samsung phone. I would love one of the giant top tier flat screens. Are you telling me you wouldnt? lol
47. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
for the sake of it say yes you like samsung lets see these so call non fanboys admit that they are apple fanboys and will always stand up for apple no matter what the scenario is...thats the difference between apple fanboys and other fanboys. apple fanboys are blind and deaf where as the other fanboys can reason with others.
51. gallitoking (Posts: 4704; Member since: 17 May 2011)
taz let me give some advice... I am a troll.. and defend Apple... dont gain anything... Apple could care less if I defend them or not.. I do it.. because I hate how most people around here "hate" Apple , but in reality... want Apple to make 4" screens, to be more like Android so they can switch.. and ditch. Android... thats the reason they are so hard on Apple... i admit.. but remix.. will never admit .. that he is a troll.. and that if apple becomes like Android.. they will switch....
52. Scuba_Steve (Posts: 79; Member since: 16 Oct 2011)
If Apple becomes like android then it's not really Apple...
That's just my view on what you guys keep trying to say. They make a well functioning product but in comparison is kinda dull for me.
A lot of people "hate" Apple because sometimes it's really hard to like a company. I was never a fan Apple products minus the iPod. I also never new about any other mp3 player or media player ie iTunes.
53. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
lol, i would not buy an apple product gallito. and i am not a troll. i dont sit here and defend just one company, if you actually read my comments i defend all companys from everyone. i just happen to end up defending android from a few apple trolls that say stupid things all day long.