Samsung Galaxy Mega official on AT&T, Sprint and US Cellular this month
6.3-inch HD screen combines a tablet experience with the functionality of an everyday smartphone
Dallas, TX – August 19, 2013 – Continuing its commitment to provide choice to consumers, Samsung Telecommunications America, LLC (Samsung Mobile) today announces the Samsung Galaxy Mega™ for the U.S. market. The 6.3-inch Galaxy Mega is the ideal hybrid mobile device for those who want to experience smartphone portability with the immersive experience of a tablet.
“We continue to bring innovation with our Galaxy family of devices, with the Galaxy Mega representing a manifestation of consumer’s enthusiasm for our thin, large screen designs,” said Nick DiCarlo, vice president of product planning and marketing at Samsung Mobile. “The Galaxy Mega combines exceptional features from the Samsung Galaxy smartphone family with a 6.3-inch screen, making it an optimal device for movies, books, music and games.”
Superior Galaxy® Features
The Galaxy Mega allows users to enjoy many of the benefits of Samsung’s latest flagship device, the Galaxy S® 4, on an even larger screen. The Galaxy Mega’s big-screen experience enhances everything you do on a smartphone – whether it’s watching a video, browsing web pages or composing an email.
· Air View™: Explore information and content on your Galaxy Mega without ever touching the screen. Simply hover your finger an inch above the screen to preview emails and photos, initiate speed-dial and even magnify text.
· Multi Window: Multi Window split screen multitasking allows users to seamlessly run multiple apps on one screen simultaneously, and is now better than ever on the 6.3-inch HD screen of the Galaxy Mega. Watch a movie on Samsung Hub™ and check email at the same time, all by dragging and dropping apps on the same screen.
· WatchON™: Control your television using the Galaxy Mega as a remote control. Discover a rich TV viewing experience with the Integrated Infrared (IR) controller that makes Smart Remote functional with any IR capable TV or Set Top Box. Users can share content from the Galaxy Mega to a TV effortlessly, as well as channel surf in a smart, new way that lets you browse by genre, search by title or receive recommendations based on your interests.
· Easy Mode: Helps smooth the transition for first-time smartphone owners by simplifying the home screen layout, camera, calendar, messaging and the internet browser to make the settings menu easy to navigate. Once a user is more comfortable with their Galaxy Mega, they can easily switch back to the standard home screen interface.
At 8-megapixels, the Galaxy Mega rear-facing camera has zero shutter lag to capture life’s memorable moments without delay. The Galaxy Mega is equipped with the easy-to-navigate Galaxy Camera™ user interface which supports numerous shooting modes such as Beauty Face, Best Photo, Sound & Shot, Panorama and more to enhance photos taken by even the most novice photographer. Galaxy Mega users can also create photo albums on the fly with Story Album™ - a unique way to group content by event or date. With the spacious display and a variety of filters and editing tools, smartphone photos have never looked better.
The Galaxy Mega has 6.3 inches of screen real estate with a HD Super Clear LCD (720x1280) display that beautifully showcases photos, e-books and magazines, or PowerPoint presentations. Wide viewing angles mean that users can maximize productivity and never sacrifice their experience.
The Galaxy Mega runs Android™ 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean), powered by a 1.7 GHz dual core CPU and 1.5 GB of internal RAM. Users can store large libraries of photos, music and videos with expandable storage of up to 64 GB of memory with an external microSD™ card.
The Galaxy Mega is also SAFE™ (Samsung for Enterprise), allowing users to work and play with confidence that their photos, emails and contacts are protected. Built with enough power to get you through the longest work days, the Galaxy Mega is powered by a removable 3,200 mAh battery for extended use on a single charge.
Protect the Galaxy Mega with an assortment of cover options, such as the S-View Flip Cover, a specially designed flip cover with a clear window to answer or reject a call and view battery status. The traditional Flip Cover provides similar functionality without a viewing window, and the Protective Cover + fits snugly around the Galaxy Mega to protect against bumps and falls. Sold separately, the S-View Flip Cover, Flip Cover and Protective Cover + come in a variety of vibrant colors to add personality and style, all while protecting the Galaxy Mega.
The Galaxy Mega comes in Nova Black and Polaris White color options and will be available beginning this month. AT&T, Sprint and US Cellular will carry the device - each carrier will announce their specific availability, colors and timing.
For more information on the Galaxy Mega and accessories, please visit www.samsung.com.
Samsung, Galaxy, Galaxy Mega, Galaxy S, SAFE, Samsung Hub, WatchOn, Story Album, Drama Shot and Air View are all trademarks of Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. Android and Google Play are trademarks of Google Inc. Other company names, product names and marks mentioned herein are the property of their respective owners and may be trademarks or registered trademarks.
1. Shatter (Posts: 2031; Member since: 29 May 2013)
$150 for that!?!?! I call free on contract because of poor sales within 3 months.
3. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8841; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Free on contract would be basically a steal. Obviously not going to happen.
5. Shatter (Posts: 2031; Member since: 29 May 2013)
Their like $400 unlocked, this is not a flagship its a mid end.
4. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8841; Member since: 14 May 2012)
US Cellular? Which not all four carriers...?
6. Shatter (Posts: 2031; Member since: 29 May 2013)
US Cellular is like rank 7 in subs. Where I live I know their coverage is horrible
9. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8841; Member since: 14 May 2012)
It's garbage in Chicago. Sprint performs better than they do, and that's saying a lot.
20. downphoenix (Posts: 2382; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
kind of Ironic really since US Cellular's HQ is in Chicago.
BTW they are selling that market off to Sprint, so US Cellular will be gone, Sprint will hopefully improve there.
10. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8841; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Can't believe I didn't fix that typo.
15. DANTExphone888 (Posts: 97; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Talk about USCC one more time and I'm quitting this website.
7. shamashu9 (Posts: 108; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
I think I will switch to this Samsung mega plastic phone. Take,my money.
8. ibap (Posts: 706; Member since: 09 Sep 2009)
This is about like holding an iPad mini to your ear.
14. MEeee (Posts: 281; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Wait until Apple make one like this size, then it would be perfect for you.
12. rallyguy (Posts: 572; Member since: 13 Mar 2012)
I think I will get this. I'm looking for a large screen phone. This meant a Note series. I can't justify $300 for a Note 3 so I was looking at the Note 2. This may be even cheaper. The display is almost as good. I don't care about a stylus. Mega, your on my radar.
13. sniperdroid (Posts: 126; Member since: 23 May 2013)
I might also get it because of the big screen plus it's cheaper. But then again I already bought the S4 and I'm no Bill Gates sooo a maybe for me.
16. Jeradiah3 (Posts: 1008; Member since: 11 Feb 2010)
It looks like the Galaxy Mega is a nice mid range smartphone for those who dont have the money to pay for the Note II or the upcoming Note III. Im too much of a "internal specs" guy to not go after this phone when im ready to upgrade in december. Im looking forward to the Note 3, Nokia Phablet, and the even the HTC phablet
18. orielwindow (Posts: 101; Member since: 23 Sep 2010)
Another cool phone not on Verizon. Sigh.
19. razmahtaz001 (Posts: 28; Member since: 11 May 2013)
i dont mind these specs on the mega 6.3. i currently have a LG Optimus L9 and i use it mainly for watching streaming videos (clean 720p, no lag and unlimited data with tmobile), browsing some of my favorite website, checking emails and txting...none of which requires the latest and greatest specs and it works great for what im using it for.........
im hoping tmobile will get this phone, if not, then i will buy an unlocked version which is currently selling for 460.00 at negri...way way way cheaper than current or upcoming android phones that cost/will cost 700.00+