x PhoneArena is looking for new authors! To view all available positions, click here.
  • Home
  • News
  • Next Apple versus Samsung trial, set for 2014, could be delayed or canceled

Next Apple versus Samsung trial, set for 2014, could be delayed or canceled

Posted: , by Alan F.

Tags:

Next Apple versus Samsung trial, set for 2014, could be delayed or canceled
Judge Lucy Koh became a household name, at least in the households of smartphone fanatics, by presiding over the Samsung vs. Apple patent trial last year. By now, you should know that Apple ended up winning a verdict of $1.05 billion, although Samsung is going to appeal that verdict. All of the post-trial motions have been ruled upon by Judge Koh and now both sides are putting things together for the sequel to the heavyweight legal battle, which is set to start in 2014.

Judge Koh says that the 2014 trial might be unnecessary

Judge Koh says that the 2014 trial might be unnecessary

But hold on a second. Judge Koh has asked both sides if the sequel should be delayed until the appeals court makes a final ruling on the first case. Apple appealed Koh's decision not to issue permanent bans against several of Sammy's devices, and the appeals court won't reach a decision until September. The next trial is supposed to start in March 2014 and revolves around the '604 patent known as the Siri patent which deals with universal search. "I just don't know if we really need two cases on this," said the judge, who spoke with both sides on Thursday in a San Jose, California, federal court. Koh says that a final ruling from the federal appeals court would cover both lawsuits which would mean that the 2014 trial would not be necessary.

Apple attorney William Lee argues that both cases should proceed as planned since each case deals with a different patent. Samsung attorney Victoria Maroulis disagrees, saying that there is substantial "overlap" between the two cases. Koh asked attorney's for both sides to discuss the idea and report back to her on March 7th. Koh also asked, "I assume there have been no further settlement discussions or at least none that have gone anywhere?" Apple's attorney Lee responded by saying, "The answer to the last question is, that's correct."

source: Reuters

18 Comments
  • Options
    Close




posted on 14 Feb 2013, 21:19

1. Birds (Posts: 1004; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)


Then there will be another apocalyptic "the world will" end theory and the hysteria starts again....Ef My El....

posted on 14 Feb 2013, 21:36

2. deadstroke (Posts: 113; Member since: 22 Jan 2013)


jus wait an see what happin next .. that all folks

posted on 14 Feb 2013, 21:53 10

3. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6588; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)


PLEASE CANCEL AND ENOUGH WITH THIS B.S. can we just get back too making good TECH PHONES?

posted on 14 Feb 2013, 22:12 2

7. joey_sfb (Posts: 3005; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)


With more than 100 bIllions in their warchest they are unlikely to stop their bulls**t lawsuits. What gets to me however is their CEO Tim Cook pretending that he don't approve those lawsuits only to have more of them under he's charge. B.S

posted on 14 Feb 2013, 22:12 1

8. Reluctant_Human (Posts: 864; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)


If apple and samsung were grade school kids that's exactly what their parents would tell them and it would end then and there. Sadly these too companies are too busy throwing hissy fits instead of using common sense and reason.

posted on 15 Feb 2013, 00:32 7

12. Taters (Posts: 3280; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)


Apple is the one at fault here. Samsung is just standing up for itself.

posted on 14 Feb 2013, 22:07

4. nikenturd (unregistered)


Really useless trial if you ask me cuz Samsung releases new phones every 6 months....how the heck can you ban a product that is already out of the market?

posted on 14 Feb 2013, 22:10 1

5. nikenturd (unregistered)


Apple should file an advanced complaint since the S4 and the Note 3 is a blatant copy of their iPhone....;-)

posted on 14 Feb 2013, 22:14

9. joey_sfb (Posts: 3005; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)


If Samsung called their phone the new galaxy or galaxy 4S how?

posted on 15 Feb 2013, 00:33

13. Taters (Posts: 3280; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)


They did already I think. Lol

posted on 14 Feb 2013, 22:10 2

6. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5876; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)


Judge Koh doesn't want a repeat of the last psychodrama. She is going to do everything in her power to avoid a second trial. Expect her to dismiss the second litigation without prejudice. Apple can (and will) appeal her decision. The decision on the dismissal appeal will not be handed down until after the appeals court has made their ruling on the first lawsuit.

2013 isn't going to be a great year for Apple on the litigation front. Time to start innovating. Like with an update to the iOS UI.

posted on 15 Feb 2013, 16:47

17. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6588; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)


all she have too do is too tell apple to FCK OFF.

posted on 14 Feb 2013, 22:53 2

10. darkdroid (Posts: 44; Member since: 13 Sep 2012)


APPLE- calling dibs on innovation so you can't have it .

posted on 14 Feb 2013, 23:27 4

11. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3013; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)


Gaawwwdd!
APPLE stop acting like a bitch who has unresolved issues already!!!
You're becoming more and more like the forbidden fruit.
Let the lawsuits go, get along like good children and, hopefully, you'll earn fans in our hearts...hopefully.

posted on 15 Feb 2013, 04:07 2

14. _Bone_ (Posts: 2135; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)


Samsung won't pay a dime, and as soon as the counter-sue documents are ready (LTE, other patents), Apple will drop legal action entirely. But it's too late, the lawsuit generated $10BIL worth of advertisement for Sammy, and Apple's forced emotional split will result in major supply issues already being reported. They should've never sued someone they depend on, that is just stupid and Tim Cook is already in damage control mode.

posted on 15 Feb 2013, 05:25 1

15. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)


I guess going by the publicity and popularity that Samsung got and the way Apple shares tanked, i am sure Samsung wouldn't mind it :)

posted on 15 Feb 2013, 07:54

16. Savage (unregistered)


So a trial set in 2014 top ban products launched in 2012.
Real smart.

posted on 15 Feb 2013, 17:23

18. ZeroCide (Posts: 696; Member since: 09 Jan 2013)


Apple should continue the trial and sur for the use of numbers. Apple is up to five meaning that they used numbers first while samsung is still yet to release 4. :-P

Want to comment? Please login or register.

Latest stories