New batch of camera samples from the Sony Xperia Z appears, this time outdoors
1. sats.mine2k4 (banned) (Posts: 208; Member since: 10 Aug 2012)
For me the only question to answer is "Is it better than the lumia920...?"
If yes take my money and give me one... thank you..
5. MeoCao (unregistered)
I hope this is not final camera, the pictures do not look sharp and clear. Very disappointing.
15. Pedro0x (Posts: 271; Member since: 19 Oct 2012)
I agree, the pictures are blurry and unsharp. Just look on picture 2 it is all very blurry. Overall I am disappointed but ofcourse I want to see a comparison to other phones iphone 5 or lumia.
17. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5975; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
I highly doubt the production units will produce pics like these. If they do, Sony will have biffed the Z. I suspect Sony is just keeping the Z in the news cycle until the Z actually ships. At least I hope that is what is happening, cause these pics are underwhelming.
18. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4498; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
These are nothing special. They are on par with what is out there already. These images are NOT better than the HTC Droid DNA, Samsung Galaxy S III/Note II, HTC One X, & even the iPhone 5. They are just as good as those I stated.
Now ALL of these are below the Nokia Lumia's Pure View technology.
29. abhishek48 (Posts: 164; Member since: 19 Feb 2012)
Yes HTC DROID DNA indeed has better pics than these... But I compared Lumia's indoor pics with updated software to my Droid dna.. and DNA was better... Low light case was different... Lumia's pureview did played the trick.
SO DNA IS BEST PHONE IN MARKET PERIOD!!!!
7. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Talking about the phones, I think Sony Xperia Z is overal better phone than Nokia Lumia 920.
Talking about cameras, I think that Nokia Lumia 920 has better main camera except possibility to capture video with HDR function and some other subtleties.
I think that Sony Xperia Z and ZL are the best Android phones at the moment. And I think that Nokia Lumia 920 is the best Windows Phone at the moment.
Also need to remember that probably it is not the final variant of Sony Xperia Z the device is only a prototype.
11. muhsen (Posts: 272; Member since: 07 Jun 2012)
u r comparing the wrong devices, lumia 920 is up against i5,s3 and xperia t not xperia z. u have to wait till MWC to see nokia's respond to xperia z. its like comparing s3 with xperia z
14. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Yes, I know that Sony Xperia Z and Nokia Lumia 920 is different generation devices. My comment was just responce to comment #1 made by sats.mine2k4.
20. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4498; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
You are right the Sony Xperia Z is a WAY better phone than the Nokia Lumia 920. The camera on the Lumia 920 is WAY better than the camera on the Xperia Z.
The Sony Xperia Z is not better than the almost 2 month old HTC Droid DNA.
1) The Xperia Z's camera is 13MP but it's NOT better than the 8MP camera on the DNA. The images are on par with each other.
2) Also yes the Xperia Z has a MicroSD card slot while the DNA doesn't. In the age of the Cloud that is not that big of an issue anymore. If I need extra storage I have a 32GB flash Drive that WORKS great on my HTC Droid DNA. All my movies are there & the flash drive is on my key chain.
3) Sure the Xperia Z is water proof, the DNA isn't but in my 15 years of buying & using mobile phones it has not been an issue. What are people going to do talk while underwater. Good luck with that.
4) People will have to wait until what is it March, April, or even May to get what I already have been enjoying since November 21st 2012. The Xperia Z is 2012 tech, NOT 2013 tech.
The Sony Xperia Z is NICE don't get me wrong but it will be outclassed by HTC's, & Samsung's new devices. I would hold out for those & not purchase the Xperia Z, unless the phone were to come out tomorrow that is. If you "NEED" a phone now, get the HTC Droid DNA or the HTC Butterfly J.
25. pyradark (Posts: 788; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
Its hard to be "BITTER" you know
before you judge the phone, wait until it release then the comparison will tell you.
30. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4498; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
What is "BITTER" about stating facts? The Sony Xperia Z is 2012 tech. You don't agree?
I have the HTC Droid DNA & LOVE IT. Not "BITTER" at all. lol
27. MC1123 (Posts: 1251; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
agree! xperia z is a better phone! i think i wouldnt care for the non removable battery but as long as the expandable memory is available im sold! plus the dust, water, shock resistant is a very big plus!!! but sony's implimentation of the on screen navatation is not pleasing me and a lot also! i still prefer the capacitive buttons!
camera wise i think the exymor and the sensor of the lumia 920 can deliver..since 920 isnt really good handling pictures with bright lights but its best asset is the low light performance that is still unbeatable! the reason why i call lumia 920 the DARK LORD since it captures low light pictures the best!
for me, the best camera phones are:
1. 808 PureView - god of camera
2. Lumia 920 - Dark Lord
3. Xperia Z
4. N8 - retired king (yes, it still performs the best until now!)
5. iPhone 5/Xperia TL/S/T
9. DerryAhmad (Posts: 247; Member since: 05 May 2012)
Currently have Lumia 920. Really tempted to buy Xperia Z when it comes out. The camera/photo quality would be the deal breaker for me if it's to replace the Lumia 920.
26. MC1123 (Posts: 1251; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
this question just brought me back on the days of the sony ericson cybershot phones vs the nokia N-series!!! those are the battle of the best camera phone back then!!!
but i dont think sony can really breakout with just camera! coz unlike nokia, they make and they are the only one using the pureview technology..while sony, huawei and others uses the very same exymor sensor..so sony cant make any other differentiation with this!
2. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
Now I can say this. My n8 has found its true competitor. For 2 years, I have enjoyed my n8's camera, but now the crown must be passed to Xperia Z. (of course, 808 excluded)
12. muhsen (Posts: 272; Member since: 07 Jun 2012)
i think u should for MWC where nokia will announce pureview phase 3,its likely to be a combination between 808 and 920
24. Lawliet (Posts: 160; Member since: 02 Jul 2012)
Some Japanese exclusive feature phones have even better camera than these
31. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
hmm. what would I choose, a feature phone or a smartphone?
32. XiphiasGladius (Posts: 805; Member since: 21 Aug 2011)
Feature phone na! nearly 1 week battery life. ^___^
28. MC1123 (Posts: 1251; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
808 is a god! while 920 is just a demi god or prince!
while N8 is a king!!! while sony is an emperor (since sony's from japan and they use emperor and empress are the title of their royalties there same with korea and china)
no need to pass down the crown! :)
3. _Bone_ (Posts: 2142; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Two things I'm noticing:
1) There IS room for 13MPs, it's not just a marketing tool, new technology can bring more details, especially at high contrast and low-light situations, good to see Sony leading the pack.
2) It looks like Sony's using a heavier noise reduction filter than Oppo (using the same cam), which results in slightly blurrier images. Oppo results are more noisy but sharper - the rawer the better IMO, I prefer working on the results myself.
All in all, the Exmor RS is very impressive, especially in HDR, looking forward to review samples.
4. coppico (Posts: 22; Member since: 03 Dec 2012)
is it just me or most of the images appear "red"
6. phljcnth (Posts: 323; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
I wish someone will make a comparison. The images are very good but I really couldn't tell its superiority over other phones.
10. _Bone_ (Posts: 2142; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Will be done upon release. Which is when BTW?
8. rickysam (Posts: 44; Member since: 07 Jan 2013)
not bad not bad at all .preproduction? chance for improvements ? wooooooow i think i better save some money
13. Rexperia (Posts: 100; Member since: 28 Sep 2012)
people are never be satisfied... is there a perfection in the world???
19. tomtrocc (Posts: 8; Member since: 30 Nov 2012)
As long as the camera settings are plentiful I trust in Sony's optics! just putting any camera on auto setting and snapping pics doesn't always get great results. So articles like this aren't deal breakers for me.
21. Guarulhos (Posts: 39; Member since: 19 Sep 2012)
A Total Waste... Quality Rubbish !
Sony Smartphones Are So Mediocre Photo Appearance On How Smartphones Motorola !!!
22. Joshing4fun (Posts: 1060; Member since: 13 Aug 2010)
Camera samples almost always look good to me. I don't know how people can tell. Looks sharp and not blurry. Good enough for me to post on facebook and forget.
23. Coolkid (Posts: 25; Member since: 01 Nov 2012)
Pics are awesome... Wanna see some low-light performance...:)