HTC and Nokia sign collaboration deal ending all patent litigation between them
HTC faced injunctions against all of its Android flavored models, including the HTC One and variations of that model. The only reason that HTC was still able to sell those devices in Germany was because the courts decided to stay the injunctions until HTC finishes the appeal process.
The financial terms of the settlement are confidential. HTC and Nokia did have a previous agreement that covered non essential patents. Today's agreement covers standards essential patents and involves HTC paying money to Nokia. The latter will have access to HTC's LTE patent portfolio. Note to Apple and Samsung: this is how it's done.
"Nokia has one of the most preeminent patent portfolios in the industry. As an industry pioneer in smartphones with a strong patent portfolio, HTC is pleased to come to this agreement, which will enable us to stay focused on innovation for consumers."-Grace Lei, General Counsel, HTC
1. Birds (Posts: 992; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
Yes!!! An end to this sad, sad feud!!! Bottles to both!!!!
8. neops (Posts: 182; Member since: 28 Jan 2014)
All this "love and understanding" must bring something good to people e.g. lower prices
17. Finalflash (Posts: 1776; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
Hmm, MS leaves the picture and all of a sudden the patent deal is struck. Love and understanding was probably already there, turns out their retarded overlords/moles were probably getting in the way.
18. papss (unregistered)
Nice fiction story.. Please tell us more!!
20. NokiaFTW (Posts: 2028; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
Nokia always prices their phones aggressively and low, while HTC really over priced their flagship One in many countries.
2. newbey123 (Posts: 414; Member since: 19 Mar 2012)
Nokia sucks, will never buy their phones! Glad HTC is paying them to go away!
4. sip1995 (Posts: 829; Member since: 07 Feb 2014)
Maybe you don't read the whole article ......HTC pays Nokia to use Nokia's patents on htc phones. So Nokia won't go away.
22. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3555; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
Nice profile picture.. Mix radio is awesome!
7. UrbanPhantom (Posts: 949; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
Nokia doesn't sell phones anymore. Some of you people are so behind the times ;o)
12. NokiaFTW (Posts: 2028; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
You're saying as if HTC sells 20 million phones in a quarter. If you've forgotten, HTC are gonna record a loss this quarter, even after releasing a phone like the HTC One, which some of you called the "best Android phone ever".
10. Liveitup (Posts: 1260; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
I guess you endorse using others patents without permission. By your reasoning its ok to take your property and use it without permission.
13. Sonny_09 (Posts: 49; Member since: 24 May 2013)
So the thief is good, and the owner is bad? What logic is yours?
3. XperiaOptimusOne (unregistered)
Typo should do the same with BB. PAY UP!
6. microsoftnokiawin (Posts: 968; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
see if htc did this from the beginning it would've been easy ya happy ending !
11. papss (unregistered)
wow that is great news!
14. Taters (Posts: 3095; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Lol HTC is getting raped hard by both Nokia and Apple. Do they even have any margins left?
Man we really need a better justice system and we definitely need more companies willing to stand up for this bs.
16. Cyberchum (Posts: 269; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
You're one fruity fella, you can't be any dafter.
19. papss (unregistered)
OR HTC needs to stop stealing tech that isn't their own AND passing it off as theirs. This isn't china and isn't okay period
21. Taters (Posts: 3095; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
It is much more gray than you Nokia fan boys like to make it out to be. Nokia is ACCUSING HTC of stealing. If you go to the cops enough times, HTC will get fed up and just pay even though they feel that they are not stealing at all.
Who is right here? Probably HTC, who has the right to make cellphones in peace without two big huge babies in Nokia and Apple crying fowl every 20 seconds.
23. microsoftnokiawin (Posts: 968; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
well what patents is htc paying for if they're non existent and they aren't stealing !
24. sbw44 (Posts: 389; Member since: 04 Dec 2012)
Wow in all my life I have not ever heard such a stupid comment! You accuse others of being Nokia Fan boys but here you are making stupid comments like this to protect your precious Android!
By your reasoning if someone accuses me enough times for stealing I should just go to jail to get them of my back??? Are you insane?
Why don't you then just admit that you are a spineless Fandroid so that we Nokia Fanboys can get of your stupid back!
BTW Good Job Nokia!
25. sbw44 (Posts: 389; Member since: 04 Dec 2012)
Also I wonder If someone comes and steals your car (if you have) who would be "crying fowl every 20 seconds."
15. AppleHateBoy (unregistered)
This must be what joy feels like.